Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: making a bnc > rca spdif cable  (Read 6640 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
making a bnc > rca spdif cable
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:36:14 AM »
i have a spdif cable with bnc on both ends. i was hoping i could lop off one of the ends, and attach this connector (mouser link) whose spec sheet i have attached below. would this work..? is there anything i need to know that would be tricky about attaching the rca connector to the bnc cable..? thanks, in advance, for any insight or advice.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:38:56 AM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
Re: making a bnc > rca spdif cable
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:21:26 AM »
if worst came to worst they have bnc > rca adapters, we have a couple at work for security cams > vcr stuff and they seem to work fine
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:28:20 AM »
if worst came to worst they have bnc > rca adapters, we have a couple at work for security cams > vcr stuff and they seem to work fine

Thats what I use. I've got a standard RCA ended SPDIF cable, and a series of BNC>RCA adaptors.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 04:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the insight. I have seen bnc to female RCA adapters, but I have not seen a bnc to male RCA adapter.

I really just wanted to hack and solder the end and be done with it. I have the 75ohm coax cable with the two bnc ends, and I ordered the part linked above, so I was hoping that a hack and solder job would do the trick. I there is no ring and tip in this case, rght? I assume I just solder the coax cable to the tip of the RCA connector and I should be good to go. Is there any reason why that would not work?

Again, thanks in advance, for any help or insight.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »
Thanks for the insight. I have seen bnc to female RCA adapters, but I have not seen a bnc to male RCA adapter.

female BNC > Male RCA
male bnc > male RCA

(for future reference)

No idea on the other question you asked.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:27:38 PM »
I'd shoot a pm to deadheaded (Ed of KindKables), he made a BNC>RCA cable for me, so he should know how to do it right.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com