Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD > AVI  (Read 2438 times)

Offline RJPass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
DVD > AVI
« on: November 18, 2004, 08:26:40 PM »
I have a few master DVD's and i wanna grab the video and audio offa it and convert it to AVI so that i can add a different audio track to the one that's on there, make menu's for the DVD (The one i got doesnt have it) and re-burn the dvd.

How in the fuck can i do this, and how much space will it take to do this?

Any comments or lil ideas will be appreciated.  Thanx  =)

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
Re: DVD > AVI
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 02:18:16 PM »
i haven't found a good way to go DVD->avi.  most of my problems stem from the fact that mpg2 is a compressed format.  i usually end up w/ out of sync audio.

for what you're trying to do.  id be easier to just extract the mpeg2 and .wav file from your dvd.  then replace the .wav w/ your alternate audio.  then find  an authoring program that uses seperate streams as inputs.

in a worst case scenario (where your dvd is a full ~4gigs) you would need probably 8 gigs?  (4 for extracting the original.  4 when you end up creating the new dvd.)

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 03:20:57 PM »
Maybe try...are you ready for it...DVD2AVI  ::)

http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/dvd2avi/

If it doesn't work, just google dvd2avi and follow one of the tutorials - I don't remember if I installed the vfapi thing they talk about or not.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 07:28:47 AM »

Go to the Doom Website... 

Most of the FAQ's are pretty detailed, all the FREE APPS to do DVD RIPPING and authoring are there.  Some apps are NOT free, but can be had on USENET if you look in alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc.0-day, or alt.binaries.multimedia.utilities.  Look in the latter for posts by Dr. Mercury - he puts together a movie kit that includes most utils for ripping and converting.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 01:57:56 PM »
I have a few master DVD's and i wanna grab the video and audio offa it and convert it to AVI so that i can add a different audio track to the one that's on there, make menu's for the DVD (The one i got doesnt have it) and re-burn the dvd.

How in the fuck can i do this, and how much space will it take to do this?

Any comments or lil ideas will be appreciated.  Thanx  =)

it sounds like all you want to do is take an existing DVD, rip the audio and video tracks, use a *new* audio source and then re-burn to DVD with a menu.

if this is what you're wanting to do, there's NO reason to convert the video to AVI. you just add in re-encoding to the process, and it will lessen the quality of the "final" DVD you're going to burn.

all you need to do is take a program like SmartRipper or DVDDecrypter, rip the audio and video tracks (as separate files). then, if needed, convert the ripped audio file (if it's AC3, you probably need to convert it) with something like px3. then, open up the original audio source in Cool Edit/Audition, and line up the new audio source with the original one. when you've got them perfectly lined up, save the new source. encode it to AC3 (if needed), then fire up a DVD Authoring program, import the video and audio sources, and compile it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com