Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO this lens--Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Found I hope!  (Read 4213 times)

ditto

• Trade Count: (0)
ISO this lens--Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Found I hope!
« on: January 13, 2005, 02:01:01 PM »
I've tried every usual place, and some unusual places.  Can't find this lens anywhere.  Anyone got any suggestions?  It seems the "bait and switch" stores have it!

Bill
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 11:16:20 PM by ditto »

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: ISO this lens--Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 02:06:49 PM »
nice lens!  good luck in finding it.  there was a post last week about how 17 street photo had them in stock, but they are out now.  this is a tough lens to track down, unfortunately.

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 02:39:47 PM »
try dell, try b&h, try adorama, try canoga, don't try abe's.

just had an awful experience with my local shop so i don't feel comfortable reccomending a special order from them either.

you may have to just be patient on it. 

ditto

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 05:15:40 PM »
I don't really need it til April.  I'll sit and wait i guess.  Jonny, have you ever shot with the 85 1.2?  Is the AF as slow as they say?  I'm mildly interested for indoor sports.

Bill

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 05:25:02 PM »
I have not, though if you want the baby of indoor sports you can get the 200 1.8.  expensive though.

i tend not to shoot a ton with primes as i am not often as concerned with the sharpness in my shot as i am in getting the shot which requires more flexability.  specific example- i will be out on inauguration day shooting a number of the protests for a piece i have been working on and off of for a while now.  to work with a prime in a situation like that is just too difficult.

ditto

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 06:58:45 PM »
The 200 1.8 is a beautiful lens, and sharp from what I've read--but way out of my budget.  If I had that kind of money i'd look into a 1dmkII. 

I've seen some basketball pics shot at 3200ISO with 2.8 lenses ( 20D/70-200 ).  The noise is tolerable and can be worked in NI.  I was hoping to try the 35 1.4 for basketball and gain back some ISO at 1.4.  I think the 35 1.4 will be a great lens for when i go on vacation :)

I used a 85 1.8 on my D70 and it's a bit long for my liking, though the pics exposed pretty nice with that extra stop.

Thanx,

Bill

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 09:44:27 AM »
if you are considering indoor sports, go with the 135/f2.  I've had it for a month and it is a truly outstanding lens.  really smooth backbround blur, very nice color and contrast and very sharp.  extremely quick to focus.  if you want to see some images taken with it, send me a PM.

damon

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 10:06:10 AM »
Damon,
you have some indoor(or outdoor) sports shots?  i would like to see them if you do...

I gotta ask..as its been killing me...

Damon and Johnny

what do you guys do? 
I am a computer programmer vb.net/asp.net, doing amateur photography(boy i still sux...DONT KNOW WHY...no eye i guess) for about 6 years now..
both of you..and some others..but i dont see them post as much, seem very nowledgeable  about photography, and have alot of nice equipment....just wondering.

also, Johnny(or damon) if you have any waterfall pics you would like to share I would love to see those too..i love waterfalls...
do either of you have an online album??
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 10:16:37 AM »
no sports shots yet.  i'm an unemployed lawyer, for whatever that's worth.  my online album is here.  nothing all that special there, but some good stuff.  i read alot about photography (books and internet) and work on it a good bit.  i've only been into it for about a year or so.  sluttiness with photography is way worse than taping.  there's always something else to buy...

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 10:53:58 AM »
I am an analyst for a big law firm and occasionally I sell work to a few stock agencies. 

I am working on building a website for myself (going to be www.eye4life.com) but it's slow going with work and all.  Right now I'm focusing on macro work, though I have another project that I have been doing on the long term involving protests.  I will be shooting photos in the middle of some of the DC protests next Thursday for part of the day.

Let me see what I've got from Costa Rica a few weeks ago for waterfalls.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 11:08:30 AM »
thanx guys, nice work damon there are some really good photos in there...in the europe pics..the one with the other photograhper in lower left es an exceptional pic....i woulda kicked that dude to get him to move!!!!

I like black and white alot, obviously(along with TONS of people, but not to be cliche) i like ansel adams alot...im a huge hiker(my wife and I tried to plan the appalachian trail for our honeymoon, but it fell through), so landscape and things are prolly my biggest passion, along with general nature/wildlife).  I love to look at architecture also, so buildings (both old and new) are fascinating to me also. 
its great that you guys both have such an interest in it..funny that you both are in the field of law...are you both in dc?? 

good luck on your projects johnny...sounds interesting...protest...very interesting subject...any details on exactly what yourdoing?  like a history...or are you doing a specific area of protests...

thanx for the replys guys...johnny i hope to see your site up sometime...damon..thanx for the link..i will take a closer look when i get home.

+t's for the canon guys!!   ;D
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 01:09:11 PM »
well the piece has been, and will continue to be about the faces and fundamental beliefs of protesters in grass roots oriented movements.  For example, I spent a week shooting an anti-affirmitive action protest in Bloomington, IN lead by the college Republicans, but I also shot some of the RNC protests with Lizz.  Getting one on one views of activists and from where they draw their beliefs.  The beliefs themselves, while pertinent, are not the focus, but more the origins.

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 01:09:57 PM »
and yes, we are both in DC, I work not far from where Damon lives :) 

ditto

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 11:08:15 PM »
Found the lens on FM.com tonight.  Followed two ISO threads for the fun reading and someone offered one up.  Can't wait!

Bill

ditto

Re: ISO this lens--Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Found I hope!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2005, 11:30:55 AM »
The 35 1.4L is on my camera as I write.  Went out and shot for a while.  Sharp and contrasty even at 1.4.  I see why these are a high demand lens.

Bill

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com