Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ideas for video filler?  (Read 4236 times)

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
ideas for video filler?
« on: March 16, 2005, 07:55:34 PM »
I have a really nice project on the go and am looking for ideas on how to fill in the one minute of missing video that occurred during the camera tape change.  The audio is complete and sounds great.  I figured I'll keep the whole concert on DVD even though there's a gap in the video, but I'd like to put something other than black screen in there.  It's mostly between song banter so crazy effects of the band playing probably wouldn't look right.  Now that I think about it, that would be easier to fill in than the talking.  :P

Any ideas?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
Re: ideas for video filler?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 08:35:54 PM »
maybe some still shots from earlier or later in the show. or a text explanation on the screen explaining why there is no footage... tape flip, sit tight. something like that maybe? anything is better than a black screen.

Brian
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 12:30:24 AM »
abstract stock footage would be nice.  similar to the fractal videos playing windows media player when you play audio files.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 09:07:54 AM »
I was messing around with fractal generation in Vegas last night.  Took a while to figure it out but you can do some pretty cool stuff.  It may be a bit zingy though.

I like the idea of a little text explanation - thanks.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 10:08:50 AM »
you should get video of yourself changing the tape in the camera with another camera.  that'd be kind of funny and it'd be better than just text on a screen.  kind of fade the two together.  some still shots taken with a normal camera might work well in there too.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 10:35:32 PM »
you should get video of yourself changing the tape in the camera with another camera.  that'd be kind of funny and it'd be better than just text on a screen.

;D i like this idea. if it's like a one minute hole, you could script it so that you struggle to change the tape.  maybe drop it a few times.

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 12:17:39 AM »
you should get video of yourself changing the tape in the camera with another camera.  that'd be kind of funny and it'd be better than just text on a screen.  kind of fade the two together.  some still shots taken with a normal camera might work well in there too.

that's really clever, I've had to do this filler before and never thought of that.

I found that putting a still picture up there made it look like something you'd seen on your Local Access channel or something, kinda goofy, so I just wrote "Tape Change" over a blue screen for the 20 seconds or however long it was. But if you can make it look good and/or funny, that's a great idea.
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 05:11:54 AM »
well, one nice thing you can do - and this works better if you have multiple camera angles, mind you - is splice in footage from elsewhere that wasn't used. for instance, say you have 2 cam sources and you use approximately half the footage from each source... that leavse basically 50% of the footage left on the cutting room floor... so if at all possible, use a show that doesn't have a closeup of the singer (if there are vocals during the missing video portion), or if the missing video portion is during a chorus line that is repeated a minute or two later, patch it in. it really does work well, and when done correctly, no one will know except you... and us.  ;)

p.s. the idea of splicing in video of doing a tape flip is GREATNESS. very creative idea there.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com