Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RØDE version of Rycote INV-7 mount  (Read 2256 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
RØDE version of Rycote INV-7 mount
« on: August 23, 2016, 09:03:47 AM »
Just saw that RØDE now sells a few mounts that have Rycote custom lyres, and are a bit cheaper than the Rycote equivalents.  The lyres are made by Rycote, so it seems you're still getting same quality for the part that matters most.

The most interesting for those here is the Rode SM4-R.  The compatibility list shows that these lyres work with 20-22mm mics.  It's basically a Rycote INV-7 but with more positions to put the lyres, and of course the lyres are slightly different than the standard ones.  Prices I'm seeing are $49.  The INV-7 is typically $62.

The other mounts with Rycote lyres are:

SM3-R - same thing as SM4-R but with hot shoe mount

PG2-R - same thing but with a pistol grip

SMR - similar to Rycote USM but non-adjustable
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: RØDE version of Rycote INV-7 mount
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
Just saw that RØDE now sells a few mounts that have Rycote custom lyres, and are a bit cheaper than the Rycote equivalents.  The lyres are made by Rycote, so it seems you're still getting same quality for the part that matters most.

The most interesting for those here is the Rode SM4-R.  The compatibility list shows that these lyres work with 20-22mm mics.  It's basically a Rycote INV-7 but with more positions to put the lyres, and of course the lyres are slightly different than the standard ones.  Prices I'm seeing are $49.  The INV-7 is typically $62.

The other mounts with Rycote lyres are:

SM3-R - same thing as SM4-R but with hot shoe mount

PG2-R - same thing but with a pistol grip

SMR - similar to Rycote USM but non-adjustable

Firstly it's NOT the same an an INV-7.

The INV-7 is designed to take all sizes of mic. from 19mm to 25mm diameter, including the flat-sided Sennheiser MKH 40 series.  The INV-7 is adjustable with three different possible Lyre spacing distances (actually, the Røde also has only three spacing distances, even though it has more mounting holes).

The Røde is only really for a 20/22mm diameter mic., so a 19mm would be too loose and a 25mm would not fit.

I notice that "Røde" is "engraved" in the Lyre - so it's a fixed softness ideal for Røde mics and obviously made specially by Rycote for Røde.

The rest Røde make themselves.

If you have a mic.of the right diamerter, then it should be fine, but it's nowhere as flexible as the Rycote original.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: RØDE version of Rycote INV-7 mount
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »
John,

Thanks for your comments.  If you notice in my original post, I did state that it was for 20-22mm mics only.  Obviously the lyres are made specifically for the shape and weight of specific Røde mics, but if you happen to have a different mic that fits those parameters, would it not likely still work just fine? 

That's how I came to choose the 62-shore lyres for my DIY mounts for Line Audio CM3s.  At that time, Rycote did not have the CM3 in their "my microphone" application listing.  I saw that those lyres were recommended for Sennheiser MKH 8000 series, which are a similar weight and size to the CM3, and as it turned out they work perfectly.

Maybe what put you off was my saying "Rycote equivalents".  You're correct that the INV mounts are more flexible over a broad range of products, one of the biggest benefits being swapping out lyres of various stiffness as needed as I personally found so useful.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com