Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 115037 times)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« on: August 10, 2016, 11:21:24 PM »
Hasn't been released in North America, but it is out in Asia and can be purchased on eBay.

It is in Russian but you can find more info here: http://prosound.ixbt.com/news/2016/july/08/tascam-dr-100mk3.shtml

Looks like it has all the features of the MKII expect it's missing the switch that lets to select Mic in or Line in option near the XLR ports. Also it is missing the switch that lets you select XLR, Uni, Omni or Line 2 input option that the older model had. Perhaps that is replaced in the menu?

Here is what my translation says:

Tascam DR-100MKIII - updated portable stereo tape

Announced the release of a portable two-channel audio recorder DR-100MKIII from companies Tascam. The device is the successor model DR-100MKII , and provides higher quality sound recording with enhanced "stuffing." Furthermore, MKIII version predecessor and superior in terms of functionality and usability.

As DR-100MKII, renovated recorder is equipped with 4 built-in condenser microphones: two directional and two omnidirectional. This directional microphones in the DR-100MKIII have anti-shock suspension for reduced operating noise. Also, the novelty can boast the ability to record in 24 bits / 192 kHz, higher-quality preamps HDDA with low noise (EIN = -124 dBu) and analog-to-digital converters of the AKM AK4558, providing a signal / noise ratio of not less than 102 dB (in the mode Dual ADC SNR parameter reaches 109 dB). Another important advantage of the Tascam DR-100MKIII is the presence of combined inputs Mic / Line, implemented on the connectors manufactured by Amphenol.

Here are some other features new items and its differences from the DR-100MKII:

support for memory cards such as SDXC (maximum capacity - 128 GB);
    a larger LCD screen resolution of 128 × 128 pixels and multi-language menu;
    thermally stabilized precision crystal oscillator TCXO;
    function Dual Recording, which allows to write two files in parallel on different levels;
    new feature XRI (Extended Recording Information), allows you to save settings to have been recorded in the BWF file;
    the ability to record audio in two different formats (WAV and MP3) at the same time;
    a more powerful headphone output: 2 × 40 mW at 32 ohms;
    the possibility of supply from Li-ion battery capacity of 3950 mA • h (which is two and a half times more than its predecessor), a pair of AA-size batteries, the optional adapter PS-P520E or separate unit BP-6AA batteries;
    sturdy aluminum housing for use in extreme conditions.

Available stereo tape Tascam DR-100MKIII appear in the third quarter of 2016, and its estimated cost will be about $ 500. Separately, you can buy a set of accessories AK-DR11G MKII, compatible with all recorders DR-series.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:24:10 PM by pdastoor »

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 05:49:34 PM »
Here is the specs page from Tascam Japan:

https://tascam.jp/jp/product/dr-100mkiii/spec
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 06:04:16 PM »
Looks very good on paper, with some features not usually found in recorders this small such as the dual record safety tracks.  I notice an optical digital input on top which I believe replaced the mic in from previous versions.

This looks like it's aimed squarely at the Sony PCM-D100 market segment, both in features and in price.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 06:43:32 PM »
This looks like it's aimed squarely at the Sony PCM-D100 market segment, both in features and in price.

Exactly what I was thinking: a D100 killer.

I find the "eXtended Recording Information" function intriguing. It also does 88.2 and MS decode. I wonder if the preamps are as good as the DR70D.

Here is some more info I got from Google Translate:

High performance audio performance that focus on stereo recording If you need a high audio performance in audio equipment, a vast space to place a high power consumption and the number of parts is required, this is contradictory elements as the "size" is a feature of Handy recorder. "DR-100MKIII" high audio performance and specialized in stereo recording in order to obtain the sound quality,. Choose to use the limited space and power to all stereo recording circuit, it has been achieved TASCAM stereo linear PCM recorder best ever performance.

Equipped with the AKM AK4558 made with VELVET SOUND architecture that are both Koonshitsu and low power consumption in the A / D converter, achieve a S / N ratio of 102dB

Equipped with a dual-ADC function that uses the AK4558 of 2 groups, achieve a record time of S / N ratio of 109dB

Equipped with a low noise HDDA microphone pre-amplifier of a discrete structure to XLR / TRS input

The conventional machine than the high sound quality dual (single-directional / omni-directional) stereo microphone unit

It can be recorded in 24bit / 192kHz

Equipped with a shock mount mechanism to a single directional microphone

Reliability poured the know-how of commercial equipment development function group brings In the business for recording different from the general consumer use, it is of course of such a high reliability is required. As a cornerstone of the track record that has delivered a lot of equipment in the field of broadcast and professional sound, the ability to prevent the recording accident have been incorporated.

Equipped with a large-capacity lithium-ion battery, it can be driven for a long time in the capable dual battery mechanism in combination with AA batteries

Dual-level recording function that can record a backup for the file at the same time

Adopted Amphenol made lock with XLR / TRS combo jack

Aluminum high-rigidity body to withstand the long-term use

According to the master recorder and the equivalent of TCXO (temperature compensated crystal oscillator) +/- 1ppm high precision clock

Promise smooth operation, operability is enhanced by user feedback In the field work that quick judgment is required, operation of the equipment to be used will be very important. Testimonials that our use your conventional machine, and a lot of the know-how obtained by linear PCM recorder development has built a user interface that can be speedy operation without hesitation to the original.

Large LCD, user interface in consideration of the visibility such as a dedicated LED

Hardware switch group to contribute to the quick setting

Dual-format recording function which can record the BWF / MP3 files at the same time

XRI to record the setting at the time of recording (eXtended Recording Information) function

Functions list

44.1k / 48k / 88.2k / 96k / 176.4k / 192k Hz, 16/24-bit WAV (BWF) format recording is possible

44.1k / 48k Hz, can be recorded in the MP3 format of 128k ~ 320k bps

Adopt a highly versatile SD / SDHC / SDXC card in the recording media, up to 128GB SDXC card is available

Two by two unidirectional condenser microphone and an omni-directional condenser microphone, equipped with a total of four built-in microphone

Equipped with a dual-ADC function that uses the AK4558 of 2 groups, achieve a record time of S / N ratio of 109dB

Dual-level recording function that can record a backup for the file at the same time

WAV (BWF) / MP3 dual-format recording function that files can be recorded at the same time

MS decode function that allows the use of M-S stereo microphone

Auto mark function that mark is attached automatically according to set conditions

Dual battery mechanism that can be used in combination with a dedicated lithium-ion battery and AA batteries

Built-in speaker

Level control function with auto gain control and peak reduction

Possible limiter, the operation of the pad is a dedicated switch

Low-cut filter (OFF / 40/80/120 / 220Hz) equipped

It senses the signal of the analog input level or digital input of audio, auto-record function that allows the start of the recording with automatic

Convenient auto tone function in conjunction with the position of a moving image file Mark features that help to move to a specific position

PRE REC function that can record sound from the start recording two seconds before

While continuing the recording, automatic segmentation feature that automatically update the file in the preset time

Repeat function and loop playback function

VSA (Variable Speed Audition) variable can speed the pitch of the sound as it is by the function Such as details of the body set

in addition to the recording date and time, size, capable of recording XRI feature information of an audio file

Divide the ability to split the file in any position (BWF files only)

You can set the format of the file name to either the user or the word date

backlit dot matrix type LCD of 128 x 128

File names in Japanese, corresponding to the menu display

Equipped with a metal tripod mounting hole in the body

It comes with a digital input conversion cable

High-speed file transfer with USB2.0

Resume function to store the position when the power is OFF

A dedicated external battery pack (sold separately: TASCAM BP-6AA) enables power supply from the

If you use the optional AC adapter (PS-P520E), it can be used continuously without worrying about the remaining battery level

MP3 ID3 tag (Ver. 2.4) Japanese display is possible

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 07:02:21 PM »
'Bout time someone released a recorder with Koonshitsu!!!

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »
I took the picture posted on the website and adjusted it so the deck can be seen straight on. Of course when adjusted one way it distorts in another way
making the recorder look thicker than it really is. There are some cool looking features like mic pads. I would guess that the digi in is coax with an adaptor cable
like the previous models.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:54:56 PM by mepaca »

Online voltronic

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 08:05:56 PM »
I would guess that the digi in is coax with an adaptor cable like the previous models.

I wasn't aware they had that on prior versions.  I assumed it was for a Toslink cable like this.

Also, is the input gain adjustment still analog?  I would have expected them to go with digital gain controls like the 70D and other newer recorders, which would allow them to eliminate that knob and just go with the jog wheel.

It's nice to see dedicated switches for those other functions though.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »
Here are some photos off Tascam Japan.

The hold function has the option of ALL or just LEVEL.

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 08:36:12 PM »
[
I wasn't aware they had that on prior versions.  I assumed it was for a Toslink cable
like this.

Yes, this is the third version. The first two had s/pdif coax with an adaptor cable for a mini jack.

Online voltronic

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 09:21:36 PM »
^ ^ Nice pics.  The selective hold switch is really cool.

I notice from the Tascam Japan pics that there's individual level adjustment, with 0.5 dB resolution (MONO indicated at top, L channel at 25.0 dB; R channel at 21.5).  The pictures from the Russian site show STEREO mode with both channels set to 7.0 dB.  Unless I'm missing something, that means this has digital gain control and switchable channel ganging.  If that's the case, then I wonder how the dedicated level knob on the right functions in MONO (non-ganged) mode, since it's one solid piece as opposed to two nested, separate L/R controls:

If channels are not ganged, would it raise or lower both channels together while retaining the previously-set relative level differences between them?  Or would it equalize the level of both channels and then move them together?  Or should I just wait until the manual is posted and read the damn answer for myself???
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 02:54:17 AM »
what is difference between digital in and external in? I guess ext in is mic input and digital in is line up for the 3.5mm slot?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »

I wonder how the dedicated level knob on the right functions

If you look at the same photo of the front of the unit, there is a switch just below the display on the right marked INPUT LEVEL. It looks like it's a three position switch for L - STEREO - R.

So I assume changing the switch position allows you to adjust the level of either channel individually or of both simultaneously when you move that dedicated level knob on the right side of the unit.

Probably MONO recording is set up in the menus.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 09:22:37 AM »
what is difference between digital in and external in? I guess ext in is mic input and digital in is line up for the 3.5mm slot?

DIGITAL IN is for digital signals (i.e., external preamp output) and EXT-IN is for analog, either line or mic, I would think. It appears to provide PIP.

I like the dedicated PHANTOM POWER switch on the bottom.

Online voltronic

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »

I wonder how the dedicated level knob on the right functions

If you look at the same photo of the front of the unit, there is a switch just below the display on the right marked INPUT LEVEL. It looks like it's a three position switch for L - STEREO - R.

So I assume changing the switch position allows you to adjust the level of either channel individually or of both simultaneously when you move that dedicated level knob on the right side of the unit.

Probably MONO recording is set up in the menus.

Ah, I missed that.  Thanks.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »
I would guess that the digi in is coax with an adaptor cable like the previous models.

I wasn't aware they had that on prior versions.  I assumed it was for a Toslink cable like this.

Also, is the input gain adjustment still analog?  I would have expected them to go with digital gain controls like the 70D and other newer recorders, which would allow them to eliminate that knob and just go with the jog wheel.

It's nice to see dedicated switches for those other functions though.

The previous DR100MKII had the same coaxial digi in as this model but it has moved from the side where a rt angle TRRS adapter was preferred to the top where the straight supplied one will be just fine.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:48:03 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com