Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Sony PCM-M10 alternative for taping and vinyl transfers?

(1/7) > >>

rappard:
My Edirol R-09 looks worse than Steve Bannon ;-) these days, so at some point I'll have to get a new solid-state recorder. Requirements:
* 24/96
* 3.5/6.3 mm microphone input
* Portable
* Also good for vinyl transfers

According to the What.CD (RIP) forums and here (e.g., http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175117), the M10 was great for making vinyl rips. But I didn't expect Sony to discontinue it. ;-(

After googling I've narrowed it down to one of the following:
* Roland R-05
* Tascam DR-2d
* Tascam DR-05
* Tascam DR-40
* Tascam DR-100mkII(I)

Partial to the R-05, but I'm open for suggestions. I've looked at the Marantz PMD line as well, but I think they're fairly unwieldy and above budget.

Additional question: would a simple 2xRCA => 3.5 mm cable suffice for going amplifier => solid-state recorder? If so, recommendations for brand(s)?

Current equipment:
* Microphone: Marantz EM-8 (6.3 mm jack)
* Turntable: Rega P3-24 + Heed Orbit 1 + Goldring 2100 or Ortofon 2M Blue
* Amplifier: Creek 5350SE + MM SE phono card

acidjack:
Do not under any circumstances buy garbage from Tascam. You will be sorry.

I'd recommend the Roland R-26. I've used it for both shows and vinyl transfers, and it's quite nice. Personally for a vinyl transfer I wouldn't want something that only had miniplug inputs, either.

That said, if you think the R-26 is overkill, the Roland R-05 will be a good, solid device that will be familiar to you as an R-09 user.

rappard:
Thanks for the reply.

Also considering these, since a store near work is selling these as B-stock at 50% off:
* Marantz PMD-561
* Marantz PMD-661

ilduclo:
I'm looking at the r5, too, my d50 sony is getting long on the tooth. I think there's a lot of functionality on the r5 I'd likely not need, editing, reverb functions and all that, but looks to be a pretty decent rig, lots smaller than my sony, too.  I like that it uses AA's instead of proprietary battery pack. Can continue using my rechargeables. 

https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/r-05/owners_manuals/

dallman:

--- Quote from: acidjack on September 13, 2017, 09:27:19 AM ---Do not under any circumstances buy garbage from Tascam. You will be sorry.

I'd recommend the Roland R-26. I've used it for both shows and vinyl transfers, and it's quite nice. Personally for a vinyl transfer I wouldn't want something that only had miniplug inputs, either.

That said, if you think the R-26 is overkill, the Roland R-05 will be a good, solid device that will be familiar to you as an R-09 user.

--- End quote ---

I'd disagree with the Tascam knock. I have lots of decks and lots of Tascam decks and have never had any issues with any of my Tascam decks.

Your system seems very good for vinyl transfers and most if not all the decks mentioned would work very well with very slight differences in the end sound. So it really will come down to what you like for ease of operation and transfer. Those Marantz decks you mention are excellent. I do not know if the PMD661 is the MKIII, but if it is, the major differences between that and the PMD551 is that the PMD661 has file encryption and slightly different dimensions, so the PMD551 is probably a better choice as it costs less. Once the presets are set, the deck is a breeze to use, but without utilizing the presets, there are a lot of choices to make before recording so I'd say take the time for proper setup, and it is a great choice.

I use the R-05 a great deal, but pretty much for low profile situations because it is small, works great and is easy to use.

I would think that transfer via RCA to 1/4" TRS might be a bit better than the 3.5mm option. You could then go line in with any deck that has combo XLR/TRS inputs. Personally I'd pick up a used Tascam HD-P2  which these days sells for a fraction of it's value used and I would go with that. It just has great control and functionality for setting levels and if you ever switch to digital output, it has the option to work as a digital in (or out for that matter) bit bucket. One possible negative for some would be that it uses CF (compact flash) cards rather than SD cards and they tend to cost more and are slowly being phased out, but if you have an older DSLR camera, then you likely would have some of these laying around. My HD-P2 which I admit does not see much field use these days because of its size, has never rejected a single CF card so I have used to pretty inexpensive brands from eBay and Amazon.

I cannot give you the right answer for a good reason in that again most decks will do a great job with your setup, so look for whatever setup or features you think will fit with your desired uses for the deck and your recording needs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version