Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Really bad, but well-intended, English translation

(1/3) > >>

DSatz:
Hi. I'm going through my old paper files to see what I can do without. I came across the attached English-language (sort of) product literature that I think is from the late 1960s or early 70s. I'm posting it because it manages to make almost every mistake that a well-meaning, intelligent person might make when translating technical German into English--especially, picking the first definition in a dictionary when you really need a more specialized term.

It's from the East German "Georg Neumann" company that later became Microtech Gefell, and describes a remote-switchable-pattern stereo microphone containing two M 7 capsules, along the lines of Neumann (Berlin)'s SM 69 or AKG's C 24. But it calls capsules "boxes" while calling microphones "transmitters". Geek that I am, I find that interesting, since a lot of other German electroacoustic literature calls the same things "receivers". (Of course they're both at the same time--transducers are like that.)

It's kind of an interesting puzzle to figure out what they must have meant by certain things--for example, "the slewing piece of the transmitter connection cable" = the swivel mount of the microphone cable. But I'll leave "gliding caskets" as an exercise for the reader ...

--best regards

noahbickart:
Hast du den Text auf Deutsch? So können wir die beiden Versionen vergleichen.

noahbickart:

--- Quote from: noahbickart on June 14, 2018, 01:34:30 PM ---Hast du den Text auf Deutsch? So können wir die beiden Versionen vergleichen.

--- End quote ---

או לפחות בעברית כדי לרדת לעומק הפשט.

DSatz:
Leider nicht; zumindest ist er zur Zeit noch nicht aufgetaucht. Oder/aber doch!

(The attached page was scanned from the 1964 catalog.)

noahbickart:

--- Quote from: DSatz on June 14, 2018, 01:36:03 PM ---Leider nicht; zumindest ist er zur Zeit noch nicht aufgetaucht.

--- End quote ---

Das ist bedauerlich. Auch bedauerlich ist dass mein Deutsch Scheiße ist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version