Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: twoodruff's new table  (Read 2617 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
twoodruff's new table
« on: January 13, 2016, 09:54:28 PM »
Twoodruff was looking for a table, so in kindness I passed along the AR I had been working on. Actually, my offer to him was with his budget but after discussions I informed him that there were two more things that would provide him a bit more performance out of the table, a record stablizer and a drop counterweight. Well, he decided that he wanted it complete, so he had me order the items before shipping the table out to him.

Today the last item can and was installed. I am proud to say that this project is right up there with the satisfaction with my Thorens TD850 project. This table looks incredible and sounds fantastic. The Blue Point #2 now has around 25 hours on it and continues to improve. The next 25 should get it to it's optimal performance point. However, I'll leave that enjoyment to Twoodruff.

When consulting with Twodruff he stated that his amp had plenty of gain and that he didn't need an active preamp, so I recommended a passive that is built and performs beyond its price point. I also recommended the phono pre, which he got for a great price and, which also sounds very good, indeed.

Now, I have to take picture for his rebuild, trying to make this as turnkey as possible. Afterwards, with a tear in my eye, I will say goodbye to the table but with feel mighty glad that it is going to a good home and a new vinyl fan will be born.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: twoodruff's new table
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 09:55:39 PM »
few more shots.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:01:27 PM by raymonda »

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 12:41:49 AM »
Twoodruff was looking for a table, so in kindness I passed along the AR I had been working on. Actually, my offer to him was with his budget but after discussions I informed him that there were two more things that would provide him a bit more performance out of the table, a record stablizer and a drop counterweight. Well, he decided that he wanted it complete, so he had me order the items before shipping the table out to him.

Today the last item can and was installed. I am proud to say that this project is right up there with the satisfaction with my Thorens TD850 project. This table looks incredible and sounds fantastic. The Blue Point #2 now has around 25 hours on it and continues to improve. The next 25 should get it to it's optimal performance point. However, I'll leave that enjoyment to Twoodruff.

When consulting with Twodruff he stated that his amp had plenty of gain and that he didn't need an active preamp, so I recommended a passive that is built and performs beyond its price point. I also recommended the phono pre, which he got for a great price and, which also sounds very good, indeed.

Now, I have to take picture for his rebuild, trying to make this as turnkey as possible. Afterwards, with a tear in my eye, I will say goodbye to the table but with feel mighty glad that it is going to a good home and a new vinyl fan will be born.

Correct Ray, I extended my own budget, it was by no doing of yours, I feel I got a great deal on a fabulous table
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 01:30:52 AM »
I'm staying up late giving the table a few last listens and I am mightily impressed. It just flat out sounds great. In comparison to my reference the difference is in the cartridge and not the table. My benz is just a hair more refined and extended, with timbres a bit closer to real. The BP #2 sounds real good and I doubt many would hear much difference without extremely critical listening. I would say there is a 2 to 5% margin of difference. And, without a doubt this is the second best set up I have had. As it stand, with the BP#2, it beats out my Well Tempered Record Player and my highly Modded Thorens TD 166, including both sporting the Benz.

I wish that I could play with this table some more but one thing seems obvious; when your budget avails a TOTL cartridge would not be wasted on this table, or even the arm. The shrink tubing along with the drop weight out right works to push the performance up another notch. But until then, the BP#2 gets you there and in concert with the table and arm places you right in the middle of where vinyl kicks digital's ars!

I'll pack it up with care and make it as easy as possible for set up. Just make sure you have a digital scale to adjust VTF.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:50:36 PM »
Saying goodbye!!!!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com