Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Room correction experience?  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Room correction experience?
« on: December 12, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »
Anyone using room correction? Specifically wondering about the more advanced Audyssey stuff found in home theater recievers, but currious about any experience with any of them.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
Re: Room correction experience?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:13:14 PM »
I use the Audyssey with my Denon 3808ci in my livingroom, it does an excellent job with 5.1 channels in a less than perfect room.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »
Cool.  Which version of Audyssey is it? Is it mostly room mode fixing or do you notice any higher frequency matching between channels?  Does it fall apart outside of the sweet spot?  Have you gotten much sleep in the past week?  ;)

Thinking about going that route for relatively simple / affordable surround mixing monitor control + amps + soundcard all in one unit.  The idea is Samplitude on a laptop with HDMI output > HDMI cable for multichannel LPCM > HDMI input on reciever with Audyssey to help get things dialed in accurately enough to mix in the room and also help timbre balance some surround speakers that mismatch the front three.  Thinking something with their latest Multi EQ X32 and enough amp power to drive my speakers.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
Sleep when your dead. ;)

Its built with the Audyssey MultEQ XT.  Really simple to use and it lets me see all the adjustments it makes, and then allows me to customize those if I want.  I honestly leave it alone though, I have never been able to improve on what it does for making more sweet-spot in that room.   

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »
Thanks, that helps me feel more confident in pursuing this. Good to hear you have the option of customizing the adjustments.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »
do your homework on the hardware, I am pretty sure that its still up to the designer on how much functionality the software provides with in their platform.  It may not be as user friendly on another brand.

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »
Understood.  I was looking at a Denon online over the weekend.   The other hurdle is making sure the laptop HDMI correctly passes the uncompressed mutichannel LPCM and I can assign channels with it's drivers.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
Bump..

Anyone doing this in software on the computer?

A few software solutions which come to mind, I'm sure there are others:
DRC
Accurate
IK Multimedia ASC

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
Bump..

Anyone doing this in software on the computer?

A few software solutions which come to mind, I'm sure there are others:
DRC
Accurate
IK Multimedia ASC

ARC System is powered by Audyssey MultiEQ which is the same as the Dennon and work very well. I install Home theater for a living and use it every day on our popular Integra receivers. I know the Pioneer use MCACC corrrection with is pretty much the same but I have had great results with the Audyssey setup. If it is a larger system we do more advanced calibrations but for the everyday stuff the built in correction works great.
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »
Hey thanks that makes me feel more confident. 

What do you do for the more advance calilbrations? Are you using some other measurement equipement, techniques, outboard EQ units, etc?

Offline Will_S

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »
Anyone have experience using Audyssey MultEQ or the like with planar speakers like Maggies? 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com