Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Church Audio Preamp - I'm the guinea pig!  (Read 21446 times)

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
New Church Audio Preamp - I'm the guinea pig!
« on: May 31, 2012, 03:50:14 PM »
I've just ordered the new preamp Chris has been talking about - the size of the UGLY, but with actual knobs for gain stage (six position selectable) and L/R trim. He's anticipating a six week build time plus shipping back to me, so hopefully I'll see it at the end of July or so.

Look for a full gear review once I've received it! This will be used along with either my ATU853 cardioids or Countryman B3 omnis and the Edirol R-09HR. Once I get it and test it, my SP preamp will hit the Yard Sale for a GREAT price!

Scott
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

Offline stepeanut

• Taperssection Member
Re: New Church Audio Preamp - I'm the guinea pig!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:54:19 AM »
I am in the market for a pre-amp I can stealth with, and I'm very interested in this product.  I was considering the CA-9200, but now I'm holding back until i can obtain more information on this latest device, which could be perfect for my needs.

Looking forward to your report, and would very much appreciate photos, too.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 01:36:55 PM »
Well, like I said it'll be a couple of months before I get it, and then I have to find a show I want to go to, so it will be a while, by which time this thread will be LONG buried. If I can figure out how, I will include pix. On the other hand, once it's built I'm sure Chris himself will start threads about it.
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:17:29 PM »
Anyone want to wager on whether this or the AKG actives see the light of day first?   ;)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »
^^^ What sort of odds are you giving?  :)

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
Anyone want to wager on whether this or the AKG actives see the light of day first?   ;)

Are you suggesting I shouldn't have taken the bait?

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
i'm not too knowledgeable on the status of the AKG active project, but i've had some experience with Church Audio.  'nuff said.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 09:39:39 AM »
Both orders are shipping out this week sorry for the delays. I needed to get my 3.5 mm jacks with build in spst switch. Now that I have everything these will ship out by mid week this coming week!
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline bobstammers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 09:53:13 AM »
Woohoo I'm assuming the other one is mine then. Its first proper outing with me won't be until the end of September though. Will also give report back once roadtested.
Mics        : Naiant AKG CK63 Actives, DPA 4061, SP-CMC-25, CA11c, CA11 IIo,CA14c, CA14o, CAFS, AT933 (4.7k)
Pre         : Tinybox, PIPSqueak, CA9100, Ugly II pre, CA Ugly II 3 wire pre
Batt Box : MM-CBM-Mini
Decks     : H340 rockboxed, R09HR, M10 x 2

adrianf74

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 05:47:08 PM »

Even though I missed the boat to reply on this, I'm willing to bet the second coming of Chr*st will happen sooner than the AKG actives project so my money would've have been on Chris.  :)

Offline pongagt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
Woohoo I'm assuming the other one is mine then. Its first proper outing with me won't be until the end of September though. Will also give report back once roadtested.
I figure that is what is holding up my CA9200 that i ordered around a month ago. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
The new Ugly II Preamp. The gain switch has a small knob on it that is 0.470 Inches tall by 0.413 inches wide. Very tiny in the pictures the knob looks huge. The gain switch is the same part that is used in the 9200 its a locking rotary switch with military quality. That can not be turned by accident. The new price for this preamp is $200 its very time consuming to build. And it has the same performance specs as the 9200 except no high pass filter. Other than that its the same exact preamp using the same exact parts. The preamp is the same size as the ugly except for the gain control. I put it on the side because this preamp is designed to sit in a pocket with the inputs up and the gain on the side. Again the gain can not be turned by accident. There are two trimmers that can be used for left and right balance so that mics that are not well matched can be matched for output. Gain settings are 0db +10 +15 +25 + 30 + 40 db of gain.
Power on and off is via the mic input. Plug the mics in the preamp powers up. The preamp also has a low brightness led for confirmation of power.

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 08:12:03 PM »
I'm waiting on receiving mine for a full review, but I have a question, Chris... you had advertised this as having fully adjustable gain WITHOUT TOOLS - in the picture, it appears that the L/R adjustment will require a screwdriver, which makes it unusable for my purposes. Please explain.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 08:55:19 PM »
I'm waiting on receiving mine for a full review, but I have a question, Chris... you had advertised this as having fully adjustable gain WITHOUT TOOLS - in the picture, it appears that the L/R adjustment will require a screwdriver, which makes it unusable for my purposes. Please explain.

I think the big knob, on the left in the photo, is for the gain.  The small pots are for equalizing the differences between the two mics [EDIT: which only needs to be done once for a given pair of mics]:

<snip>
There are two trimmers that can be used for left and right balance so that mics that are not well matched can be matched for output. Gain settings are 0db +10 +15 +25 + 30 + 40 db of gain.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:58:29 PM by aaronji »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
The knob on the left is the gain 6 positions, the two blue trimmers are only used for fine tuning left and right for matching your mics. And only needs to be set once. And yes you need tools for that but not for the gain setting.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com