Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are 16bit A/D days numbered?  (Read 12815 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Are 16bit A/D days numbered?
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2006, 07:40:47 AM »
So back to the question. In my mind the limiting factor for most recordings is not the 16/24 bit digital part. Instead it is the analog circuits - low-priced or badly designed analog circuits tend to be noisy and not sound so good regardless of the converter. High-quality well-designed circuits will sound good in front of a 16 bit converter, and the only drawback is the need for the user to be a bit more careful in setting levels. But a really good user will get really good results from a 16bit machine. So if we all stay tuned and hone our skills we will get lots of good use out of 16 bit equipment for a long time to come.

Gunnar

as I said earlier in this thread, I'll take good quality 16bit over "eh" 24 any day.
and that all depends on the analog section of the gear.  A quality preamp will just smoke no matter what is behind it for A/D.

but also, it is very easy for me to hear an improvment in resolution when using a quality preamp AND 24bit A/D behind it.  I think your playback method is the big deciding factor here.  You certainly cant hear it in a car, due the noise as you pointed out.  But you can certainly hear it over headphones and a quality headphone amp.
for example..
use a benchmark or Grace headphone amp/DAC combo and tell me you cant hear a difference.  I'll say "go clean your ears".

Even on "mid fi" home system w/loudspeakers, you can hear the difference.  Of course, you can REALLY hear it once you start getting deeper into the HiFi game.  A great DAC, awesome amplifications and most importantly a quality set of speakers can show you the niceities of high-rez recording.

but, thats just my opinion.

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2006, 05:29:55 PM »
Nick, I hear it as well.

But to put things into perspective:
- there is a huge difference going from low quality 16 bit equipment to top quality 16 bit.
- but only a small difference going from top quality 16 bit to top quality 24 bit.

I do hear the difference in going to top quality and ddo pay stupid money to get it, but still.

Gunnar

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2006, 08:00:55 PM »
Nick, I hear it as well.

But to put things into perspective:
- there is a huge difference going from low quality 16 bit equipment to top quality 16 bit.
- but only a small difference going from top quality 16 bit to top quality 24 bit.

I do hear the difference in going to top quality and ddo pay stupid money to get it, but still.

Gunnar

well said.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com