Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT8533 circuit?  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
AT8533 circuit?
« on: March 21, 2007, 10:26:40 PM »
I'm wondering what the circuit is inside one of these. Is there a transformer in there? Or, is it just a passive voltage divider or an active circuit? I want to build a couple devices that do essentually the same thing, but I don't need the bass roll-off.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: AT8533 circuit?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:30:58 PM »
I'm wondering what the circuit is inside one of these. Is there a transformer in there? Or, is it just a passive voltage divider or an active circuit? I want to build a couple devices that do essentually the same thing, but I don't need the bass roll-off.

There are various versions.  Typically they have some kind of current source to drop a certain voltage (like 4V) to bias the FET.  Then there is a one or two transistor roll-off circuit, followed by a single transistor that drives a transformer primary in emmitter-follower mode.  The secondary of the transformer drives the cable.

These are very convenient if you already have phantom power.  Just plug and go.  And they can drive a cable for a long distance (balanced, low-impedance).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Chuck

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:52:35 PM »
Richard, I figured you would know :)

Do they do more than convert 48v to 9v DC? I'd guess that the transformers are used to match impedences?

I'm just looking to power some electrets (on cables terminated with mini-XLR connectors) with 48v phantom power from a V3 and/or DMIC-20. I'd like to build it all into an xlr connector. Is a zener diode with a 10k current limiting resistor too primative?

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 10:58:07 PM »
Richard, I figured you would know :)

Do they do more than convert 48v to 9v DC? I'd guess that the transformers are used to match impedences?

I'm just looking to power some electrets (on cables terminated with mini-XLR connectors) with 48v phantom power from a V3 and/or DMIC-20. I'd like to build it all into an xlr connector. Is a zener diode with a 10k current limiting resistor too primative?

A zener diode or similar (transistor with resistor voltage divider) will work just fine.  To power the mics.  The reason for the driver transistor plus transformer is to provide a *low impedance* and *balanced* output.

You can provide a hack solution with all passive components, and that will be fine if you don't drive a cable (just plug right into a DMIC20 or similar).  This is what the Naint or other people were doing with a few passive components and an electret.

I suggest visiting the Yahoo group "micbuilders" if you want to do this.  Lots of electronics hackers over there...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Chuck

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:04:48 PM »
Thanks for the info, and +T :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com