Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Error Likely Designs - Dual Function Pause / Record Button  (Read 6686 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Error Likely Designs - Dual Function Pause / Record Button
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:47:28 PM »
On the subject of designs you'd like to change...why have so many recorder designs gone to a dual function record/pause button?  It's a real PITA.  I don't know anyone that hasn't missed all or some of a show because they put their recorder in pause and thought they were in record. 

DESIGNERS PLEASE STOP DESIGNING RECORDERS THIS WAY!!!  We want a separate pause button please. 

In fact, I could do without the pause button altogether, though I suppose in my taping 'career' the pre-record buffer has saved me once or twice, but not really considering I spend the first part of a show tweeking levels anyway, so the first few seconds are kinda shot anyway.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:50:09 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Error Likely Designs - Dual Function Pause / Record Button
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »
Yep it happened to me once with my R-09HR. Caught the last 10 minutes of a show after realising I'd stood there for 80 minutes in pause. I have to say the MiniR82 is great in this respect. As soon as you switch it on it is effectively in pause mode with the red light blinking. Then you know your first press of the record button will set you rolling.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 02:12:18 PM »
Which recorders have this issue?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
I don't have any problem with this.

Press record once and the recorder goes into stand-by mode so you can check the levels.

It also fills up the memory buffer if you have pre-record active, so you don't miss the start.

The red light flashes to warn you.

When you press record again, you start recording and the red light shines steady.

So it's really clear what you are doing.

No problem at all and a great feature - I wouldn't be without it.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »
I on the opposite side of the table as John and look at the Sound Devices model as the optimum; you hit record, and it records. The pre-roll buffer starts filling when you turn the machine on or stop recording.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »
I'm so used to the way Sony does this (the tape deck style of arm transport > un-pause to release transport) that I've been caught off guard a couple times using my friend's Zoom recorders.  Maybe I'm old fashioned.  That and I like pretty blinking lights... :o
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »
I've got a buddy who just started taping and my advice to him was no matter what put your eyes on the display and make sure its counting up.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
To be clear, it's not like it's confusing and pre-record is a great feature.  I just wish the two functions weren't integrated onto the same button.  As far as I'm concerned, if you mess up one time out of a hundred (I'd guess that's about my rate of messing up) simply because of the button design, that's too many.  If the design was like Sound Devices, as Page mentions, the rate of mess up would go to zero.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:23:43 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »
To be clear, it's not like it's confusing and pre-record is a great feature. I just wish the two functions weren't integrated onto the same button.  As far as I'm concerned, if you mess up one time out of a hundred (I'd guess that's about my rate of messing up) simply because of the button design, that's too many.  If the design was like Sound Devices, as Page mentions, the rate of mess up would go to zero.

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »

I can only speak to the recorders I currently own.  Of the four recorders I own, the Roland R-05, Tascam DR40, Tascam DR100mkii, and Sound Devices 744t, the three handhelds have this feature.  You push record once to put the recorder into pre-record/pause mode and push it a second time to start recording. 

I had a Sony M10 awhile back and I'm pretty sure that it operates like this as well.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »

I can only speak to the recorders I currently own.  Of the four recorders I own, the Roland R-05, Tascam DR40, Tascam DR100mkii, and Sound Devices 744t, the three handhelds have this feature.  You push record once to put the recorder into pre-record/pause mode and push it a second time to start recording. 

I had a Sony M10 awhile back and I'm pretty sure that it operates like this as well.

Yes, the M10 makes it really idiot proof.  Press Record, the Record button lights up red and the Pause button blinks at you.  Press the blinking Pause, and then you're recording.  While not as fast to start recording as Sound Devices, it makes it really obvious what you have to do without having to explain it in a manual.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »
Perhaps it is a matter of size that dictates the dual function pause/record button then. My primary recorders - Fostex FR2 & FR2-LE - both have individual pre-record/pause and record buttons. Been so long since I used the MT I can't recall if it even has a pause function. Other than the MT, I haven't used any of the hand held units available. If I do ever get a hand held, I'll make sure to check the pause and record to see if they both use a single button. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and I do agree it is poor design/implementation.

stevetoney

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 09:57:15 PM »

Yes, the M10 makes it really idiot proof.  Press Record, the Record button lights up red and the Pause button blinks at you.  Press the blinking Pause, and then you're recording.

My recorders aren't idiot proof.  ;) 

But the fact is that they all blink at you and pretty much everyone I know has done the pause error at least once.  In the bright light in the middle of the day you can't see the lights very well and when you're reaching down into your bag sometimes you hit the button once.  I forget and assume I'm recording after the first push.  This happens especially when I'm at a festival and I'm running around from stage to stage recording with multiple rigs, or if I start and stop my recorder ten or fifteen times a day and I'm not as attentive as when I only record one show at a venue in the dark when the blinking light is alot more obvious. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:06:40 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:21 AM »
Steve, I obviously own two m10s. Well, as with ANY gear, you just have to simply learn it, inside and out, and you will cut down on fukd up recordings. I simply put the m10 in record/pause mode, and the pre recording buffer starts. I've owned and run many different recorders over the years, and the newer recorders couldn't be ANY easier to use. The SD 7 series r probably the easiest to run. But running my m10, I simply look at my recorder for a few minutes and make SURE that its recording and the numbers are going UP. Simple as can be.

Sorry homie, but I don't see the downside to having one record/pause button on ur recorder. To me, once you learn your whole rig and recorder, you should just take the extra few seconds to make sure you're recording and the numbers are going UP. Obviously, everyone makes mistakes and fucks up, but if you have a legit system down, then you should rarely mess up a recording ;) Hell, I've gotten so good at having a system down for starting a recording, I rarely fuck up a recording. But I have made EVERY mistake possible over the years, and IMO, that's the only true way to learn. If u fuck up enough recordings, then you're bound to learn from your mistakes lol :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 01:16:47 AM »
As is the case in baseball when a pitcher is throwing a no-no I should probably keep my mouth clamped, but here goes...

Excluding a few DAT misloads, I've only ever missed a partial set or entire set due to my own user error twice in 15+ years of recording.

Both were with the 722. The first time was when I was running low-pro with the 722 way up front with mics stuffed in a hat and I was trying to figure out how to adjust levels on my buddy's R-09. Levels were looking beautiful on the 722's meters, but whilst trying to figure out the R-09 in the field and in the dark I got side-tracked and forgot to press record. Fortunately, I had the 722>R-09 deck as a back up. The fact that the level meter runs the entire time the 722 is powered on regardless of whether or not it is recording burned me.

The other time was @ The Queen in Wilmington, DE. I was the sole taper that night for RRE and I was clamped on the rail in the balcony with an extension pole (the sweetest spot in the room, just like it's sister in Philly). Weeknight show, light crowd, hardly anyone in the BALC, the vast bulk of folks are on the floor. Start shooting the shit with the one guy seated next to me and got distracted. Fiddled with the levels for a few minutes during the first song and finally realized I hadn't engaged record.

Other than that, nothing springs to mind. As far as taping goes, having a bit of OCD has served me well. LOL.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com