Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: using omni's  (Read 6826 times)

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
using omni's
« on: April 14, 2003, 02:37:31 PM »
I'm expecting some omni caps anyday now and was curious if anyone ever runs them on the same stand when recording onstage or are they to be used as a 3-6' split exclusively in this situation?

And when used outdoors in your average sized amphitheater/shed, typically what are the best patterns to postion omniswhen run on the same stand? Thanks! ~Rob.

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:using omni's
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 02:54:29 PM »
I wouldn't run them from the section at your average shed. Maybe from the lawn, or anywhere without a roof or sides causing reflections.

Configurations? They're omni's  ;) Okay, they are directional at higher frequencies but I would just space them. What omni's are you running? Go check out the specs from the manufacturers website.

I personally am excited about trying the "Critically Spaced Omni" technique..
http://oade.com/Tapers_Section/streicher-healy.html

Here are a few other interesting threads...

http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/showmsg.mv+message=8368

http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/archive/viewthread.mv+thread=8145&message=8145

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 03:04:06 PM »
good info tim!!! +T  
i have talked to doug about this a few times and am VERY excited to run critically spaced omni's this summer.  i will definitely be running them at least one night of the gorge and utah.  the other night of the gorge i will run them split about 6 feet.  and tim....if i don't bitch out on you i will be running the omni's again at bonner springs.... ;)
have fun,
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 03:26:28 PM »

Configurations? They're omni's  ;)

Yeah, what was I thinkg?!? Gotta get used to some non-directional mics. Whatta concept!

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 04:17:32 PM »
Ran MK2 caps yesterday for Karl Denson at the base of Copper Mtn.   Split 2 feet, FOB, just point them straight ahead at the stage.  Now if Tim would just make an offer...

Eric
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 04:29:29 PM »
A hockey stick (with the blade cut off of course  ;)) & a couple of clamps, you can get a four foot spread all on one stand.  I hope this attachement comes through & you can see the stick flying  ;D ...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2003, 04:35:02 PM by silentmark »
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 04:58:19 PM »
Hey silentmark  --  there's a blue chair in the lower/left corner of the pic.  I've been searching for a low-to-the-ground portable chair with armrests for ages and haven't found one (travelling to festivals by motorcycle has its challenges).

Any idea what make/model of the one in your pic?

BTW - great use of the hockey stick!    :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Rob D.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 05:14:06 PM »
I noticed the high, dense greenery behind the hockey stick. Wouldn't this have the same affect as a "wall" behind your omni setup?

Offline silentmark

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2003, 05:44:40 PM »
Hey silentmark  --  there's a blue chair in the lower/left corner of the pic.  I've been searching for a low-to-the-ground portable chair with armrests for ages and haven't found one (travelling to festivals by motorcycle has its challenges).

The chair wasn't mine , but I do know whose it is. I will try & find out the model & make for ya ...

Oh and thanks, the recording is on eTree is anyone is interested, Railroad Earth 8/3/02, along with the SDB I ran as well ...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2003, 05:45:21 PM by silentmark »
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

Offline silentmark

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2003, 05:46:40 PM »
I noticed the high, dense greenery behind the hockey stick. Wouldn't this have the same affect as a "wall" behind your omni setup?

"things appear closer than they are ... "  ;)

Tim

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 09:34:37 PM »
Ran MK2 caps yesterday for Karl Denson at the base of Copper Mtn.   Split 2 feet, FOB, just point them straight ahead at the stage.  Now if Tim would just make an offer...

Eric

Dude, your friends called... you left half a case of Budweiser cans in their T-Bird...

offer to come soon. I'm going to put it up on Jonny's sever. Full bodied cmc62's on two 6.5' stands in broad daylight...

They sound really nice. I'm going to upload Nate Fischer and me's mk4/kc5/cmc6/mme from one of the same stands as well.

Offline silentmark

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2003, 07:21:50 AM »

If anyone is interested in the chair, well go here http://www.kelsyus.com/products/ChairsAll/index.htm

Cheers ...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com