Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Millennia's "Tube Listening Test"  (Read 2444 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Millennia's "Tube Listening Test"
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:49:02 PM »
http://www.mil-media.com/tubetest.html

No samples, but ive heard many people mention Mullards,Sovtek, etc on this board..Do Mr. Lagrou(he is the head guy there at Millennia)'s observations line up with yours? I have no idea about sound variations amongst tube types/brands,(dont know much about the technical ins and outs of tubes at all other than that I much prefer the sound of a good tube amp to solid state) but I am very fortunate to have in my neighborhood 3 Elder TV Repair guys who have gone out of business and have tremendous stockpiles of NOS tubes.(and one guy who restores 40s and 50s era Radio Consoles.. Due to my geographical good luck I have been buying handfuls of the tubes that I see commonly mentioned(12AX7, AU7, EL34, 84, 6T9,300b, etc) ...most of what I get is Tung-Sol, RCA, Telefunken, GE, and Svetlana?(I think). I am too ignorant on the subject to fool myself into thinking that I hear differences among them, but I am curious as to what you all think about sonic variations among tube types and brands? Comments on Millennias spiel or Tubes in General?  (

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Millennia's "Tube Listening Test"
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:03:33 AM »
Due to age some of those old tubes will sound fantastic, others not so much. They certainly will impart all manner of character.  ;D
There is also an American company that makes new tubes for musicians called Groove Tubes.
You might enjoy a book they put out called The Tube Amp Book that is sort of a standard reference for instrument amps, with schematics and history for Fenders and Marshalls, etc.

There is also a very good series of books on actual tube amplifier design called The Ultimate Tone, by Kevin O'Connor.

http://www.londonpower.com/books.htm

His Principles of Power book in particular might be interesting to you.

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Millennia's "Tube Listening Test"
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:33:12 AM »
Thanks Much Bobby. Very much appreciated. Ive been using JJ Tesla and E-H that came stock on my amp, but I would like to start branching out at some point.

Teddy

Due to age some of those old tubes will sound fantastic, others not so much. They certainly will impart all manner of character.  ;D
There is also an American company that makes new tubes for musicians called Groove Tubes.
You might enjoy a book they put out called The Tube Amp Book that is sort of a standard reference for instrument amps, with schematics and history for Fenders and Marshalls, etc.

There is also a very good series of books on actual tube amplifier design called The Ultimate Tone, by Kevin O'Connor.

http://www.londonpower.com/books.htm

His Principles of Power book in particular might be interesting to you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com