Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Most versatile Schoeps caps  (Read 6506 times)

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
Re: Most versatile Schoeps caps
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 11:01:17 AM »
The mk4 and mk8 together as an mid/side rig would be versatile. That way the stereo array can be controlled after the fact.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 11:06:40 AM »
It's interesting how subjective this all is. I've found the 4vs to be incredibly forgiving. I've literally been stealth against one wall and bun really happy with results, shocked even. Can't  tell a lot of difference when centered.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Duncan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 02:11:03 PM »
I've been super happy with my CCM5s another switchable mic and an all in one solution

Duncan
Recording for 39 years and counting, down not up
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
AKG CK 61-ULS--Naiant Actives--SD722
DPA 4061 - DPA d:VICE - iPhone 6s+
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »
I’ve own mk4’s, mk41’s, mk2S’s, mk5’s and mk4v’s. I also owned a pair of ccm41’s for a few years. The most versatile cap imo is the mk41. I’ve run the mk41 FOB, in the section and even stage lip. Always sounded great and can save you in not so great sounding rooms. All I have these days is a pair of mk4’s which I’m content with since I only record a handful of stuff a year and it’s always in a small to medium venue . If I still taped a bunch in big arena type venues or rooms that don’t sound all that great I would probably sell my mk4s and just have mk41’s.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:35:42 PM by stober »

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 09:11:51 PM »
I frequent alot of places where the 41's shine consistantly.

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 11:37:52 PM »
The mk4 and mk8 together as an mid/side rig would be versatile. That way the stereo array can be controlled after the fact.

One of the reasons I haven't put my two cents in is that I personally don't see a single capsule as being more versatile than any other.  It's more a function of what situations you record in and what single capsule can be applied to your specific recording situations to maximize the chances of getting a good recording.  For the recording I do, the cardioid is what I'd probably use more than the others, but that doesn't mean I think my card is more versatile than my hypers or even my omni's.

As an example, I agree with this comment that M/S is very versatile.  However, I sold my mk8 capsule because I rarely would ever run mid-side since I almost never record up close to the stage. 

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
I chose the MK4 and am very happy how well it works in many situations. For a 2nd pair I would go for the MK22's.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 12:29:31 AM »
90% of the time the mk4's work best.  Rarely in a high noise forum, I use the mk41s. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 01:20:28 AM »
I've used the CCM4 the most but love my MK5 pair due to being able to switch patterns.  One of them lives in my Mid-Side rig.  With all of that said I'd love a healthy pair of MK6's.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »
My first Schoeps mikes were the three-pattern type, and for a long time I fantasized switchable-pattern capsules with other choices of patterns, e.g. nowadays I might want their "open cardioid" (MK 22 equivalent), cardioid and supercardioid, all side-facing--like going to an ice cream stand and ordering a three-scoop cone with different flavors. Which it's not actually like, but I fantasized.

Any one directional pattern supports certain choices of strategy in terms of how you represent location and space in the stereo playback, while depriving you of other options. Which options you can fully utilize and consider essential, vs. which ones you're willing to give up because they don't offer you as much value, are a personal matter; as a result, I don't see how anyone can truly answer this question for anyone else. It's not just "which approach to stereo recording do you like"--it's also "which approach are you prepared to use to the fullest?" A lot depends on how you listen to recordings and what qualities you strive for in them--with your conscious and unconscious mental processes being at least as important as the playback system.

Or perhaps, due to the fact that we develop as human beings over time, this question isn't even answerable for one's own self. When I was in my thirties I thought that a stable stereo image and clear localization were, like, absolute requirements, and any recording that didn't have them (e.g. most spaced omni recordings) were more or less of a swindle. I mostly wasn't getting the beauty of tone that I wanted, but I thought that the sacrifice was appropriate and necessary. As I got older I became more of a would-be hedonist, and incorporated that outlook into my recording techniques. Thus my repertoire of approaches to stereo recording widened. My old CMT 56 three-pattern microphones were/are wonderful, and are probably the "most nearly correct" answer to the original question as far as I'm concerned--but I would never want to give up my Colette MK 22 or MK 41 V setups, or the MSTC (ORTF stereo microphone) that I've used for so many documentary sound recordings. And if I owned a sphere stereo microphone I would probably cling to it as well (I've heard some Mahler recordings that Jerry Bruck made with one of those; they're everything I want from my own recordings).

Call me spoiled (and you'd be right), but there's truly no one microphone or microphone pattern or microphone arrangement that I'd be content to limit myself to any more. On a desert island, what would I need microphones for anyway?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:51:08 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 09:40:11 AM »
We've got a lot of collective experience represented in this thread.

Any one directional pattern supports certain choices of strategy in terms of how you represent location and space in the stereo playback, while depriving you of other options. Which options you can fully utilize and consider essential, vs. which ones you're willing to give up because they don't offer you as much value, are a personal matter; as a result, I don't see how anyone can truly answer this question for anyone else. It's not just "which approach to stereo recording do you like"--it's also "which approach are you prepared to use to the fullest?" A lot depends on how you listen to recordings and what qualities you strive for in them--with your conscious and unconscious mental processes being at least as important as the playback system.

Or perhaps, due to the fact that we develop as human beings over time, this question isn't even answerable for one's own self.

^
Top TS-signature-worthy quote of 2018, IMO.

I've only been able to get to where I want to be consistently by using multiple patterns together in specifically-arranged arrays.  It's a solution which works for me in getting around the compromises inherent in "one pattern to rule them all", even when that one pattern may be the optimal choice for a specific situation.  I do find it interesting that taken as a whole, the sensitivity of the entire array in combination is pretty much that of a single forward facing subcardioid, comprised of both highly-directional and minimally-directional component channel parts within that overall subardioid "gestalt" sensitivity.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 09:53:57 AM »
For most kinds of taping, both up close and further back, the MK4V would usually be my go-to. Or of course there's the MK5 which literally has two patterns and therefore kind of has to count as "most versatile" among the still-in-production mics (since the MK6 is discontinued AFAIK)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »
I really love my mk4 caps. They were the first Schoeps I owned and pretty much the sound my ears reference other audience recordings against.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com