Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 102304 times)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »
Very Nice!

Dig that sweet Gak-cable on the Geffs!
Beautiful cable work.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
thanks for the feedback, wanted to make sure nobody said "you can do it if you really have to, but...". I'm planning to record a lot of different stuff from indoor/outdoor rock shows to high school choral and band concerts and whatever else looks interesting when I can find the time.

I'm going to look closely at the DR-680. Now just need to figure out when I can afford it. I've spent a lot more recently than I had planned. Seems to be a theme.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 12:47:20 PM »
Sorry but without digging back thru this thread..... Is anyone using a 64gb card... 35$ at frys electronics this week...

I had asked about the SDXC cards and never got a reply.  I figuered worse case is you'r only able to get 32GB of use,, but I never tried it. Maybe at that price though................

runonce

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
Any preferred vendors for the 680?

Should I avoid the sub-600 dollar deals on ebay?

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »
I think Muletaper just posted one brand-spanking new in the YS.  I think he only used it in the field once or twice.  He's including an SD card with it, pretty sure.

I got mine brand-spanking new in the YS too. : )
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

runonce

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 04:13:10 PM »
I think Muletaper just posted one brand-spanking new in the YS.  I think he only used it in the field once or twice.  He's including an SD card with it, pretty sure.

I got mine brand-spanking new in the YS too. : )

Seems he's had a change of heart... :P

Now..."NFS"

I'll consider that an endorsement!

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 08:41:11 PM »
Ted made me do it, I swear >:D

aint goin anywhere anytime soon. I just have to fully understand how to use it,gang channels and feeds,best field power source ect ect ect
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »
515$  i may buy a second. I read about it but with out two to play with I just don't get it....  How many usable channels can i get from two decks? Is the not perfect word clock ok?

Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
At that price point, I can't help but wonder if an MKii version is around the corner. Even so, what a steal!

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 12:16:35 PM »
I haven't done it, but linking two machines should get you a total of 12 analog and two digial inputs. Six analog plus the digital stereo input on the first deck, combined with the six analog inputs of the second (the digital stereo input on the second is sacrificed to the sync).

I've locked the clock of the 680 to the SPDIF output from the R44 and the clocks stayed synced without problems.  I just ended up with duplicate information from two channels of the R44 on the 680's SPDIF channels.  In that scenario I ended up wiht 10 time-locked usable channels.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »
515$  i may buy a second. I read about it but with out two to play with I just don't get it....  How many usable channels can i get from two decks? Is the not perfect word clock ok?
I run two with a V3 and a USBPre-2.  The Pre-2 will sync to the spdif from the other deck giving me a full 16 channels of clock synced recording.. If you don't use the pre-2 for sync and you don't have any preamp with digital output(AES/SPDIF) then you can get 12 channels of clock synced recording.  You will still need to align the start of the two different decks in your DAW but then they run perfect together

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
Does the DR-680 play nice running in a bag? Or does the button configuration on the upper surface make  you run it outside of the bag??

Also I have a V2 I'd like to run into the DR680...any ideas on how to configure a bag with the two?

PHOTO'S Appreciated...mine will arrive Thursday and I plan on taking it out Friday!

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
achalsey runs a V2 and DR680 in a bag!!  He is using a Sonicase, but I'm sure there are many other bag options.

Does the DR-680 play nice running in a bag? Or does the button configuration on the upper surface make  you run it outside of the bag??

Also I have a V2 I'd like to run into the DR680...any ideas on how to configure a bag with the two?

PHOTO'S Appreciated...mine will arrive Thursday and I plan on taking it out Friday!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »
Yup.  The sonicase is freaking huge, which is kind of annoying, but it does the job well.  I've only had the 680 for six months, but I've never had any issues with the top switches while running in the bag.

As others have mentioned heat can be an issue with the 680, so when running in a bag, especially with other hot pieces of gear (like the V2), make sure you have decent ventilation on those summer days.  No one else seemed on board when I briefly mentioned it a while ago, but I'm considering buying a little portable fan to use in the bag next summer to circulate some of the heat.

achalsey runs a V2 and DR680 in a bag!!  He is using a Sonicase, but I'm sure there are many other bag options.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »
I run a V3 underneath the 680 in my bag, and have enough room on top of the 680 to reach in and power it up/down and peer in to make sure the sensitivity, power and limit switches are in the correct position.  You also need access to the enter button in the center of the jog wheel to confirm a format or sys file write to the SDHC card (for all other 'enter button' funtions, the pushing the knob on front works the same as the one on top).  The space above also provides ventilation.  Mine always lives in the snug form-fitting Tascam case it came with so that protects the top of the recorder from the coiled mic cables I stow in that space when packed up.  With it in place in the big bag, I can lift the top of the snug case about 2.5" to access those switches.  My big bag is nothing special but it works- a soft sided cooler with exterior pockets and a shoulder strap and the gear sits in the internal plastic tub nested in a few pieces of closed cell packing foam.  Waterproof and easy to rearrange as required :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com