Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: lenmar universal dvd battery.....  (Read 3912 times)

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
lenmar universal dvd battery.....
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:28:10 AM »
I purchased a Lenmar Universal DVD battery for extended power for my PMD 671...now my question is, after plugging in the battery into my 671's power plug, and I power up the unit to record a show, will the lenmar switch over to the batteries in my 671 seamlessly with out a noticable gap?  I went with the addition battery pack because I am getting a pair of C-4's wich require phantom power, and don't want to run out of juice in the middle of a show, nor switch rechargables endlessly in fear of running out of power....  :o

Thanks!
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

chazwars

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: lenmar universal dvd battery.....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 08:56:33 AM »
My limited experience with Lenmars-only using with UA5s and small recorders-is that they will normally last up to at least 4 hours fully charged. So, I just bag the custom factory batteries all together and run the lenmar only. I keep the original batteries out of the unit but in my bag, fully charged, just in case.

The Lenmar's are great batteries though. I'm one of those guys that needs the status indicator. 

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 09:16:09 AM »
The directions that came w/ the Lenmar said that you leave the normal batteries in, and the Lenmar just adds to their overall capacity, but what happens when the Lenmar dies?  I guess that is my question... ::)
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 09:33:14 AM »
usually it acts like you have it plugged into the wall and charges you batteries inside the unit.  When the external dies the internals take over.  I don't know about the 671 but, every other piece of equipment I have used an external battery on works this way.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

chazwars

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 01:07:39 PM »
The concern I would have is that the battery might be draining extra power out to charge the batteries. My JB3 works just fine without the batteries. I also use a 9v to 5v converter, so that might have something to do with it. But...if the box says to keep the batteries in then if must be law.  ;)

Ahhh...just buy two batteries. Problem solved!!!  >:D

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 01:43:02 PM »
You know that Laws are meant to be broken now and again, right?  +'s given to both!

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 01:57:52 PM »
The concern I would have is that the battery might be draining extra power out to charge the batteries. My JB3 works just fine without the batteries. I also use a 9v to 5v converter, so that might have something to do with it. But...if the box says to keep the batteries in then if must be law.  ;)

True that...but you should keep something in mind...I read somewhere in TS.com a loooong time ago that when the JB3 drains dead with exernal power only (no internal batts installed) whatever you're recording is lost if you haven't saved it first.  Pretty sure I read that doesn't happen if the JB3 has internal batteries inserted.  

But you're right, if the internal batts aren't fully charged, it will just cause the external batteries to drain as they're recharging the internals.  That's why it's recommended that you have both batteries fully charged at the start of the show to maximize your run time and minimize the possibility of having the show lost if battery power dies in the middle.

Having said all of this, I have absolutely no clue if the same situation would exist in a 671.  

I think I'd do some experimenting at home by recording ambient noise and then running batteries down and seeing what happens in various configurations when the batts die (do you lose any recordings??)...and also using a multimeter (to check voltages on batteries to confirm that the external battery is recharging the internals or just powering the unit when both are connected).  I'd want to do this to give myself assurances for wehn I get in the field...partiularly for festivals where I know that I'll be using all my power resources to the max.

chazwars

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 06:14:02 PM »
Makes sense to have both powered up. But, I'm thinkin that this might be the process:

Internals power the rig, Externals charge the internals while the internals are powering the rig. So, essentially, the externally would be charging the internals, draining more power.

I am visualizing a little troll loading bullets into a big machine gun, while some mutant has the trigger locked down. The more the mutant fires the gun, the more work the troll has to do to keep it loaded. Troll=externals, mutant=internals.

And, about the JB3. I'll test that out this evening and see what happens. That would be interesting to bring the issue up again. Just to remind dumb asses like me!!!

Practice at home is the only way to answer any of these issues. Sucks when it happens out in the field. That is usually the show that the hot girl you have been staring at all show comes up and wants a copy. "Uh...well, my batteries died, but I'd still like your number because I can get it from a buddy, blah, blah, blah." That's like borrowing your buddy's corvette for a first date. It just isn't the same mojo.

Okay, I'm full of wierd metaphors. Gonna go and write some of this down. Maybe I can write a book on metaphors in live recording situations. Would you all buy a copy?

+T love for everyone!!!

-Charlie

*There aren't very many times you can use trolls and mutants in metaphors. Gotta take adventure when given the chance*

True that...but you should keep something in mind...I read somewhere in TS.com a loooong time ago that when the JB3 drains dead with exernal power only (no internal batts installed) whatever you're recording is lost if you haven't saved it first.  Pretty sure I read that doesn't happen if the JB3 has internal batteries inserted.  

But you're right, if the internal batts aren't fully charged, it will just cause the external batteries to drain as they're recharging the internals.  That's why it's recommended that you have both batteries fully charged at the start of the show to maximize your run time and minimize the possibility of having the show lost if battery power dies in the middle.

Having said all of this, I have absolutely no clue if the same situation would exist in a 671.  

I think I'd do some experimenting at home by recording ambient noise and then running batteries down and seeing what happens in various configurations when the batts die (do you lose any recordings??)...and also using a multimeter (to check voltages on batteries to confirm that the external battery is recharging the internals or just powering the unit when both are connected).  I'd want to do this to give myself assurances for wehn I get in the field...partiularly for festivals where I know that I'll be using all my power resources to the max.

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »
*There aren't very many times you can use trolls and mutants in metaphors. Gotta take adventure when given the chance*

+T for referencing trolls and mutants in your posts.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 03:04:02 AM »
the Marantz will switch to the internal batteries without a hitch when your external dies.
If you use rechargeable AAs they will be slightly drained if left in the recorder while using the external.
Keep the AAs in the sled in your bag and you can just pop them in when your ext batt gets low.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com