Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control  (Read 69021 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-22WL 2ch recorder with Wifi app remote control
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 06:10:40 PM »
So far the two times I used the deck, after about three hours, the WiFi signal was lost and my phone would say no WiFi available.

How was the recorder powered?  Was the blue wifi light still on?  Is the firmware the latest?  (The recorder will turn off wifi in order to conserve battery when power is running low - or medium - really you need an external power pack - you are probably well aware of that.  I note Tascam sell one which mounts to the recorder, though personally I prefer to use a power pack at the foot of the mic stand on a decent length USB lead).

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 07:35:50 PM »
Although Tascam specs state approx. 17.5 hrs recording time http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/specifications/  Dallman's post and Ozpeter's post 7 in this thread are both pointing to about 3 hours of wifi recording time.  Not too great, IMO.  Can you use a 5v external cellphone battery even though the 22wl only uses two AA's?  The Tascam power supply evidently supplies 5v power at 1.5 amp so I would think so.

Adorama has some bundled deals on the 22wl with Behr DT880s or 770s, too. 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:24:40 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 09:56:40 PM »
Funny, I thought the internal battery time on wifi was much less than 3 hours and had to recheck my own post!  Anyway, here I've mainly been externally powering mine from a little box which holds 4 x AA rechargeables and which has a USB socket putting out presumably 5 or 6 volts.  As I recall it, when I powered the recorder from a rechargeable power supply offering multiple output voltages, 5 volts didn't work well but 6 was fine.  Personally I have no big problem with having the recorder on a stand and the battery on a longish USB lead at the base of the stand - that wire is no issue compared with a mic wire going back to a distant recorder.  With such an external supply and with fresh batteries in the recorder itself (just in case) you'd be able to forget any worries about losing power.  The phone display tells you whether it's on external or internal power for your reassurance, and shows how much internal is left on a simple 3 (?) bar display.  But when you're down to one bar, wifi might shut down at any time.

Afterthought - perhaps there should be a menu option to allow you to set the device to start recording automatically if wifi is turned off by the device, thus covering the situation that you were stopped or paused when the link was lost, and you can't restart the recorder to capture the rest of the show.  After 3+ hours, you should have your levels correct so really you don't need the link so much.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:07:03 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »
So far the two times I used the deck, after about three hours, the WiFi signal was lost and my phone would say no WiFi available.

How was the recorder powered?  Was the blue wifi light still on?  Is the firmware the latest?  (The recorder will turn off wifi in order to conserve battery when power is running low - or medium - really you need an external power pack - you are probably well aware of that.  I note Tascam sell one which mounts to the recorder, though personally I prefer to use a power pack at the foot of the mic stand on a decent length USB lead).
I had an external power pack both times, and was not running low on power and I still had full internal battery power. The WiFi was gone, if I clicked on the WiFi setting on my phone, the message received was that no network existed. The app too would not connect as it would open and be frozen, but if I pressed input on the screen on the app,I would lose the app, it would shut down and I'd get a message sayin so and asking if I wanted to send an error report to Tascam. Eventually it just would not open, so I'd get a screen that would say: Inorder to use this application, a TEAC product that supports it must be connected"  I could see the network listed on my phone, but it was low down on the list with other totally unavailable networks. The firmware was the latest for the deck. I could see the blue light blinking but I believe initially I had a solid blue light.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
Although Tascam specs state approx. 17.5 hrs recording time http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/specifications/  Dallman's post and Ozpeter's post 7 in this thread are both pointing to about 3 hours of wifi recording time.  Not too great, IMO.  Can you use a 5v external cellphone battery even though the 22wl only uses two AA's?  The Tascam power supply evidently supplies 5v power at 1.5 amp so I would think so.

Adorama has some bundled deals on the 22wl with Behr DT880s or 770s, too. 

My recording time was not affected and the deck was not out of power. I lost the ability of the WiFi network to function which I think has nothing to do with power and is a firmware issue for android. Ozpeter's issue had no relation to my issue. I never run any deck without external power, It's just the way I like to record, I always use an external source.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »
Well, that does look like some kind of stability issue.  They seem to be fairly active with firmware updates, so hopefully that will get addressed.

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
Mine arrived today.  What is the current version of the firmware?  Looks Like the iOS app hasn't been updated since mid-December.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
Mine arrived today.  What is the current version of the firmware?  Looks Like the iOS app hasn't been updated since mid-December.
For the deck, Firmware Version 1.13
For the WiFi, Firmware version 1.01(this is found in the deck too)

For the DR app, that is not labeled as far as I know, but the IOS seems to be ahead of the Android version. Android was updated last Friday, and as you know we were out recording and I used the deck Thursday.

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »
This is a nice little piece of gear.  Updated the firmware, downloaded the app and it all just worked.  I think I am going to have a lot of fun with this little recorder!

Any idea what might be close to unity gain for this recorder when going line in??

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »
The "line input" is actually and "ext input" which expects (according to the manual) a signal from the headphone output of another device.  A real line level signal would probably overload the input stage regardless of level setting - not that I've tried myself, but just going from others' reports.  In other words - you are the guinea pig and we await your results!

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »
Someone on Amazon has stated that he'd heard that the remote control range of this recorder is less than 5 metres.  I've just tested mine indoors with several competing wifi access points nearby, and got to 17 metres more or less line-of-sight when I ran out of house length.  I'd say the wifi range would be adequate for most situations in which you'd want to use this particular recorder.  Of course if your phone's wifi sensitivity is not good, you'd lose range because of that.

tomuo

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »
Someone on Amazon has stated that he'd heard that the remote control range of this recorder is less than 5 metres.  I've just tested mine indoors with several competing wifi access points nearby, and got to 17 metres more or less line-of-sight when I ran out of house length.  I'd say the wifi range would be adequate for most situations in which you'd want to use this particular recorder.  Of course if your phone's wifi sensitivity is not good, you'd lose range because of that.

We got 50-60 feet in the TASCAM Los Angeles office here, plenty of other WiFi networks in the air.      Firmware updates for additional stability and ease of reconnection following a drop-out are coming.

Tom (TASCAM)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
The "line input" is actually and "ext input" which expects (according to the manual) a signal from the headphone output of another device.  A real line level signal would probably overload the input stage regardless of level setting - not that I've tried myself, but just going from others' reports.  In other words - you are the guinea pig and we await your results!

For me to buy a 22wl I have to know I can run dpa 4061 via battery box Into the line in.  No problem on the 60d 3&4 channel input.  Will they work right going into 22wl?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2015, 05:03:50 AM »
For me to buy a 22wl I have to know I can run dpa 4061 via battery box Into the line in.  No problem on the 60d 3&4 channel input.  Will they work right going into 22wl?
Hopefully the specs in the respective manuals would answer that. 

For the DR-22WL it reads as follows -

Input impedance 25K
Reference input level -20dbV
Max input level -4dbV

Hey Tom of Tascam, glad you dropped by, is the "Mark" button on Android coming?  I hope so...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
The 60d specs on channels 3-4 jack.
Input impedance 10k
maximum input level +10dBv
minimum input level -50dVV

I don't get what the difference is between reference input level on the 22 vs. the specs on the 60d nor do I really grasp what these numbers actually mean??

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com