Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices New MixPre Series  (Read 107012 times)

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices New MixPre Series
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2017, 12:51:14 AM »
Paul, based on your answer about the MP-6 above in terms of number of ISO tracks, I assume the MP-3 can only record 3 ISO tracks. Does it's mixing functionality allow ISOs of inputs 1 through 3 while sending (only) the 3.5mm input to the L/R mix?

Not sure what you are wanting to do. Can you give me a realworld example of the application?
Thx

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2017, 12:56:34 AM »
On Page 27 of the revised manual, it states:

"The MixPre-6 can record up to eight audio tracks at 96kHz, 24-bit"

Is this a typo? I thought it does eight audio tracks at 192kHz, 24-bit.

Also, can you link two or more mixpre-6's for 12 tracks or more?

Given the camera screws, could you then stack two of these (synced) for an 8 xlr input machine?

Yes that was a typo that has now been corrected. 192 kHz is correct. Thanks.
No, you cannot link 2 or more MixPre-6's.

Paul

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2017, 02:50:14 AM »
As of right now, the MixPre6 is USELESS IMO to me! You CANNOT adjust the gain for the recorder part of the deck with the nice, big gain knobs on the front! You HAVE TO go through the menu to be able to adjust the gain "post-fade" :P

This is straight from the MixPre6 Manual :P

In Advanced Mode, the MixPre-6 is configured as a eight-channel recorder with
user-selectable 44.1, 48, 96 and 192 kHz sample rate and 16 and 24bit depth. 
The LR mix tracks may be recorded as well as each of the six channels as
individual isolated (ISO) tracks.  Audio for the ISO tracks is recorded “prefade”
meaning before the channel knob gain, so any changes that are made there
will only affect the LR mix and have no affect on the recorded ISO track levels. 
This is particularly useful for post-production audio processing where it may be
desirable to create an alternate mix of the tracks at a later stage.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2017, 02:54:27 AM »
Once the above issue is fixed and you can adjust gain with the knobs on the front of the deck, I'll probably be selling my VMS02IB and one of my DR70D's, so that I can buy one of these! This is EXACTLY the deck I've been waiting for, but if SD doesn't fix the gain knob issue, then I want NOTHING to do with this thing! So SD, it's totally up to you as of right now :P ;D I love EVERYTHING about it, except the gain issue! I LOVE the flexible powering options as well!

I've read BOTH MixPre6 manuals inside & out, and the gain knob issue thing was the ONLY CON that I could find with this deck, for me personally!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2017, 06:31:16 AM »
Bean: Read the whole thread before ranting.

This has been answered multiple times by the SD rep.

You will be able to use this unit to do what you want already.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2017, 07:07:17 AM »

Seems like it's setup like a traditional trimmer + fader like you'd find on most mix desks.

The difference the trimmer is in the software - and calls it "sensitivity" (my Yamaha mixers were labeled like that)

I guess theoretically - you could just check sensitivity spec on your mics - and set the recorder to match that.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »
On Page 27 of the revised manual, it states:

"The MixPre-6 can record up to eight audio tracks at 96kHz, 24-bit"

Is this a typo? I thought it does eight audio tracks at 192kHz, 24-bit.

Also, can you link two or more mixpre-6's for 12 tracks or more?

Given the camera screws, could you then stack two of these (synced) for an 8 xlr input machine?

Yes that was a typo that has now been corrected. 192 kHz is correct. Thanks.
No, you cannot link 2 or more MixPre-6's.

Paul

Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. That's too bad about non-linkage. I suppose using an external timecode generator to stamp the tracks on two machines would make it a snap to align them in post.

Is it possible to attach one Mix-Pre-6 on top of another with the camera mount screws?

Thanks.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »
Paul, based on your answer about the MP-6 above in terms of number of ISO tracks, I assume the MP-3 can only record 3 ISO tracks. Does it's mixing functionality allow ISOs of inputs 1 through 3 while sending (only) the 3.5mm input to the L/R mix?

Not sure what you are wanting to do. Can you give me a realworld example of the application?
Thx

Here's what I'm thinking: my recording is mostly podcast centered. I'm usually recording two, sometimes three, speakers. The MP-3 seems ideal for my general uses. Every once and a while I record four speakers and I've floated the idea of a panel conversation with five people for a couple of topics. I'd like to have each mic in that scenario record to its own track. Can I plug three mics into the MP-3's XLR inputs, then run two more via my MixPre into the 1/8" auxiliary input with mics 1 through 3 recording only to ISO tracks and only the auxiliary inputs routed to the stereo mix? In the end, I want each speaker on its own track (once the L/R stereo mix is split in my DAW)?

I have a feeling your answer will likely be, "look at the MP-6."

Thanks, Paul!
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »
I can't wait to get one! please take my money!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2017, 11:53:04 AM »
Paul, is there a front panel lock option on the MixPre-3/6, similar to the 'backlight key/tone key' menu on the 7xx series?

No but thanks for the suggestion

^
Paul,

A front panel lock option on the MixPre-3/6, similar to the 'backlight key/tone key' menu on the 7xx series would be a really nice addition for this machine!  Thanks for fielding questions on the new machines!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2017, 01:31:40 PM »
Paul, is there a front panel lock option on the MixPre-3/6, similar to the 'backlight key/tone key' menu on the 7xx series?

No but thanks for the suggestion

^
Paul,

A front panel lock option on the MixPre-3/6, similar to the 'backlight key/tone key' menu on the 7xx series would be a really nice addition for this machine!  Thanks for fielding questions on the new machines!

Ditto.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2017, 04:49:15 PM »

I just got off the phone with sound devices and you cannot control gain with the knobs in advance mode, you have to go through the menu screen.  Game changer for me.  I'm cancelling my preorder.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »

I just got off the phone with sound devices and you cannot control gain with the knobs in advance mode, you have to go through the menu screen.  Game changer for me.  I'm cancelling my preorder.

I was afraid of this but thought I'd wait until we got more information. The device appears to me to really geared towards mixing not recording per se. Based on the description of how you can set gain for each ISO, I believe its likely to be fairly crude in use and will disappoint people wanting a straight four track recorder where you interactively change gain using the Channel knobs. The Channel knobs primary focus is to set the post fader gain for the mix track(s) or output. For two tracks this is fine as you can just use the recording of the L/R track. But for four tracks I think you are going to have to press on the Channel knob, drop down into the menu and set the gain and then probably have to do that every time you want to make a change to the gain. 

These look like awesome devices and it will probably work for my needs but I dont think they are really the Zoom killers everyone thinks they are. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:17:22 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2017, 05:35:08 PM »

I stand corrected. Thanks. I agree that this makes the product basically useless "for what we do."

Hopefully, they can add mode of operation via software to meet our needs better.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »

That conflics with what Paul has posted on JWSound:
Folks - you can use channel knobs to adjust your ISO levels. To do this, you would select Custom mode and set Record to Advanced and leave Channel set to Basic. When Channel is set to Basic, ISO levels are post channel knob and when Record is set to Advanced, ISOs can be armed.

So which SD rep has the correct info?  There seems to be fragmented / conflicting info about these MixPres in general.  We might need to wait for them to get their act together on consistent information before we draw any hard conclusions.

That said, I agree that if what Ted was told is true, it makes these FAR less desirable until there is a firmware update to fix it.  Why would they not at least give users the option of using the knobs for input trim?  The pro film / TV folks on JWSound certainly sound like they need that feature; it's not just us concert tapers.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com