Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 and UA5 battery power  (Read 4246 times)

Offline crazifyngers

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
JB3 and UA5 battery power
« on: June 11, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
ok so there are a few theads about this already however like many other threads there is cryptic talk that I, as a n00b, don't understand. the threads are

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,99277.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,58904.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92780.0.html

I would like to power my JB3 and UA5 with one battery the "Initial RB-270 Portable DVD Player Rechargeable Battery" that was on ebay for $12 .  one of the threads talks about a "juice box.  the others talk about building voltage regulators.  I am wondering if anything can be purchased that would power both with one external battery.  I am not very handy when it comes to soldering cleanly.  thanks
Gotta love the rat-tail Jerry has; it's where his power comes from!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: JB3 and UA5 battery power
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »
ok so there are a few theads about this already however like many other threads there is cryptic talk that I, as a n00b, don't understand. the threads are

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,99277.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,58904.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92780.0.html

I would like to power my JB3 and UA5 with one battery the "Initial RB-270 Portable DVD Player Rechargeable Battery" that was on ebay for $12 .  one of the threads talks about a "juice box.  the others talk about building voltage regulators.  I am wondering if anything can be purchased that would power both with one external battery.  I am not very handy when it comes to soldering cleanly.  thanks

Quite honestly, I am getting con-fu-sed as well!

Re: R-09HR external power

I have no idea what a "voltage regular box" is but I'll snap some pictures of EXACTLY what I'm talking about tonight.

All I was thinking about was taking the cord that you would typically use to power the JB3 with a 9 volt dvd battery and plugging it into the 09HR.

If its that simple and doesn't f up the 09HR, its a pretty simple looking cable to make for the JB3.

This isn't exactly related to the jb3 but its using the jb3 power cord so that counts for something. :P

\\\edit\\\\

While it may be possible (and I certainly don't have the answer) to use one dvd battery to power a Jb3 and a UA-5, it may not last an extremely long time if you're using phantom power on the ua5.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 06:58:29 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »
A JB3 takes 5 volts. The DVD battery is 9 volts. Without something to drop the voltage to 5 volts, you can destroy the JB3 by giving it 9 volts. The "juice box"es mentioned are voltage regulators that drop the battery voltage to 5 volts. Some are made with a "pass thru" that allows both 5 and 9 volts to be output; thus allowing both a JB3 and a UA5 to be powered with the corrct voltage from the same battery.

used ones appear in the yardsale from time to time, keep an eye out or post an ISO
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:36:28 PM by flipp »

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »
hmm ok so could a cable like this be utilized?

or does the ua5 use all 9v so the battery would only power one at a time?  this would be fine for my use since i can use the battery in the ua5 then when the battery runs low change it to a full battery and use the mostly drained battery in the jb3 since it still has its internal batteries.  I like to use as much of my batteries as possible but not lose a show.  :) thanks

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »
That cable would work as long as the voltage from the battery is reduced to 5 volts before it goes to the JB3.

However you would not be able to use a mostly drained 9 volt battery to power the JB3 without the power going through a regulator. 9 volts will fry the JB3.

Using a ToddR* "juice box" I have powered both a UA5 (with phantom on) and a JB3 for over 4 hours with a WallyWorld DVD batt.

To use a UA5 and a JB3, you will either need two batteries, a 9volt and a 5 volt; or one 9volt battery and a voltage regulator box with both a "pass through" output and a 5 volt output.

One last time, you can not run a JB3 on 9 volts.

* ToddR and leegeddy both made voltage regulator boxes. Other TSers did as well but I've only used VR boxes from those two.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:04:57 PM by flipp »

Offline crazifyngers

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:12:47 PM »
yea i have the 2 batteries in.  i would rather get the cable because I like the idea of one battery instead of proprietary batteries that cost more.  the batteries don't last very long that are in the jb3 maybe 2-3 hours with both batteries installed.

so for a regular show this is fine.  but festival season is upon us and i would like to be prepared  ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:14:58 PM by crazifyngers »

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 10:22:10 PM »
Back in the JB3s hey-day...there was a lot more banter about powering solutions...BUT - understand - at that point, JB3 batteries were about 50 bucks a piece...and scarce as hell...

More recently - they have been available on ebay for under 20 bucks - cant speak for the quality/compatability factor - maybe others can testify...?

But - the JB3 is not the hot item it once was back in the early post-DAT days...so reports on 3rd party batteries are few and far between..

The JB3 batteries were pretty good when new - sounds like yours are worn a bit...a fresh set should last 5+ hours...

I guess its cool if you can lay your hands on a VR box...but personally - I prefer dedicated power supplies....(especially for the mics) and - particularly the UA5, which gets extra flaky in low power situations...

And - as far as festival use goes...heat is the major bugaboo with that recorder...

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:27:20 PM by Roving Sign »

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 11:01:51 PM »
I used to own a Todd R. "juicebox" that had both a pass-thru 9v output and a 5v (JB3) output that would hook-up to one 9v wally-world dvd battery and it worked perfectly for what your mentioning. That being said, I sold it to fund other taping purchases. One of those was a "Leegeedy juicebox" that plugged into two 9v wally-world dvd batteries and powered both the UA-5 with a pass-thru 9v and a JB3 with 5v. I would suggest looking for one of the two I mentioned. Otherwise, I think Nick's Picks is selling or could possibly make you something like I mentioned above.
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline slightlys

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:49:50 AM »
I just  made some DIY cables for these DVD Batts to run my UA-5 and H120(which takes the same 5v power.) they work great!
I would be happy to make some cables quickly for anyone who needs them, free of charge, you pay shipping both ways and provide me with the following supplies for the build.

1. DVD batt cables( the ones that go between the batt and device)
2. UA-5 power cable
3. Sima SUP 2 Universal power supply( for regulating the (9v to 5v for the JB3)
Which can be purchased here: http://www.amazon.com/Sima-SUP-2-Universal-Power-Adapter/dp/B0001YFY1K

PM me if interested.
Peluso CEMC6>Bumblebee MiAGi-II silver clad cables>Bm2p+ mod UA-5 >  OCM R-44

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
So can anyone comment on the quality of the batteries they have bought of ebay for the jb3, i just picked up a  couple. Link follows... For 15 bucks each id rather have a source that I don't have to lug around...

Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270342845679&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Mc-930-Naiant Littlebox-R-09HR

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
steve4134 did the batteries you purchased work with you JB3?  Looking into picking up some new batteries for my JB3
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »
I haven't tried them yet. Hopefully the get a test run Tuesday at Vertical Horizon at toads pace. They did charge up and I have tested it running on the jb3.

Steve
Mc-930-Naiant Littlebox-R-09HR

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Let me know how the perform!  I would really appreciate it.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com