Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Finding DR-680mkII SDcards; Understanding part numbers; -J35 vs -G46 at end?  (Read 12334 times)

Offline n3mmr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I'm looking to buy a small set of TASCAM approved and tested SD cards for my DR-680mkII.

Given my current focus, 32GB and 16GB seem the right sizes to keep.

TASCAM lists a rather small set of cards in this range; Panasonic RP-SDUC32GJK and SanDisk SDSDXPB-032G-J35, SDSDXPB-016G-J35 and SDSDXPA-032G-J35N, respectively.

All of these cards are ALMOST available ( :-) yeah ) in Sweden. Only thing wrong is the character combination after the last "-". What does J35 and J35N mean??? Here in Sweden, I can only find samples with "-G46" at the end. Is this significant, or is this just a packaging or market segment indicator or something??

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
Yes, this is a very delayed reply, but there may be others with the same question.

I think you're right that the trailing characters are packaging.

I've used SanDisk cards in the DR680MKII recorder with no problems.
I started with a 64 GB card that is no longer available in the US:

SanDisk 64GB ExtremePro Class 10 UHS-I U3 SDXC Memory Card
MFR: SDSDXP-064G-A46

Back in May, I bought a pair of these:

SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB UHS-I Class 10 U3 V30 SDXC Memory Card
MFR: SDSDXXG-128G-ANCIN

I generally do a full format of the card before starting a new recording session.  However, I recently taped for 4 days straight at a festival with two recorders.  The 128 GB cards were mostly filled by the end of the weekend.  I backed up the data onto a hard drive each morning for safe keeping, but didn't delete them from the card.  As I said, I had no problems.  Knock on wood!

AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
680 is not picky about SD cards.  I've had no problems with any of the numerous SDHD 32GB cards I've used in it.  Haven't tried using any larger SDXD cards myself.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Resurrecting this because I was searchin' google and don't want others to experience the same: I tried a SDSDXVF-128G-GNCIN (128gb SDXC) and tascam is giving me the MBR error on it. I don't currently have a way to plug it into my pc.. so can't try formatting it there.

I'm going to purchase and try the SDSDXXG-128G-ANCIN - very thankful to rumbleseat for the post.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Just ordered a few more SanDisk 32GB Ultra Class 10 SDHC UHS-I (SDSDUNC-032G-GN6IN) at ~$10 each yesterday.

They are very inexpensive and work very well in all the recorders I am currently using:

Tascam DR-680mk1
Tascam DR-680Mk2
Tascam DR2d
Roland R-44
Roland R-88

They also work in the point-n-shoot cameras I occasionally use.

Personally I have no real need to switch to a higher capacity card.  I typically use one 32GB card per day at a festival, recording 6 channels into a DR-680, and keep and extra in the bag as a spare.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Just ordered a few more SanDisk 32GB Ultra Class 10 SDHC UHS-I (SDSDUNC-032G-GN6IN) at ~$10 each yesterday.

They are very inexpensive and work very well in all the recorders I am currently using:

Tascam DR-680mk1
Tascam DR-680Mk2
Tascam DR2d
Roland R-44
Roland R-88

They also work in the point-n-shoot cameras I occasionally use.

Personally I have no real need to switch to a higher capacity card.  I typically use one 32GB card per day at a festival, recording 6 channels into a DR-680, and keep and extra in the bag as a spare.
This is the exact card I use 3 of in my Tascam DR-680mk1. Not one card issue with this deck and this card after at least 30-40 shows.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Looking at the 680/680MKII tested media list:

https://tascam.com/downloads/media_list/TASCAM/dr-680_dr-680nk2_tested_media_list.pdf

I see some cards have this listed:

"The performace of the media may be degraded significantly if it will be used repeatedly."

Does anyone know what that is supposed to mean? Or why it would be the case?

I've used the same 32GB SanDisk Ultra cards in both of my units for years without issues. They're not on the list, so I'm not sure if they would have that caveat or not.

I just ordered the Lexar cards listed (32GB for my 680, 64GB for my 680MKII) and ran some test recordings for a few hours. No issues, so fingers crossed. Those also don't have the caveat about degraded performance.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
I don't know why some cards may degrade and not others, but Sound Devices MixPre media list specifically advises;

For best media performance, Sound Devices recommends occasionally performing a full reformat of an SD card per the “Overwrite Format” method from the SD Association. The Overwrite Format deletes file/directory entries by initializing file system parameters of the card (same as with Quick Format), and erases all data by overwriting the user data area completely. The Overwrite Format takes more time to complete than the Quick Format method. More information can be found on the SD Association’s website. Please note that all files stored on the card will be lost during the formatting process. After using the SD Memory Card Formatter, the card will still need to be formatted in the mixer-recorder.

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-series-approved-media-list/

These lists drive me crazy - I can never find what's on the list, so have to guess on something else, and just test it by recording until it's full. I've never had a problem with any card in a 680, but a couple of problems with cards in a 680mkII, never seen again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com