Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Power Options for CM 300's *MOVED*  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
Power Options for CM 300's *MOVED*
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
I have these old Nakamichi CM 300's and I want to know if there are any other options to power these babies than the radio shack 9 volt type...which I have tried and did not like....and am going to try again just to be sure I didn't get a bunk batch.

But I would like to be able to power these things by phantom power......any ideas?
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline Pakala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Highway Recording
Re: Power Options for CM 300's *MOVED*
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 03:56:32 AM »
That's my question as well.  Sure beats keeping fresh batteries when I rarely use the mics.
All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:01:06 AM »
I have these old Nakamichi CM 300's and I want to know if there are any other options to power these babies than the radio shack 9 volt type...which I have tried and did not like....and am going to try again just to be sure I didn't get a bunk batch.

But I would like to be able to power these things by phantom power......any ideas?

I only replace mine about once a year. By that time they are down from 9V to something like 8.4...then the old ones become the backups.

The trick is to establish the discipline to NEVER leave the batteries in the mics. Always take them out and you can never leave one on.

I think the Radio Shack battery you refer to is the stock EverReady 206. (pretty much the battery that was spec'ed for this mic)

Some of us have been using these - same part number, diff manufacturer.

http://www.batterybob.com/product.asp?intProdID=999908

They arent as tight in the bodies (Which some have had occasional troubles with)

Everready hasnt changed the look of the 206 for decades - it looks like a battery from the early 70s - not always a confidence booster.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »

If you don't need to fun the shotgun caps, do a search for Franken Naks on this board. In addition to not needing the battery, the mics are much smaller and they sound better than the original battery powered Naks. I love mine as do many other members here.

It is also possible to rewire the entire mic to run on phantom power (I suppose with the voltage stepped down to 9 volts). Stephen Sank was the first to offer this service, I think. This is is website if you want to ask if he still offers this service:
http://www.proaudioheaven.com/fr_home.cfm
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:46:56 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com