Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: do you trust 9v batteries from a grocery store ?  (Read 11911 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: do you trust 9v batteries from a grocery store ?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »
yep, ran the DR-2d above unity in both situations on the line in....thus why I'm stumped.
Here is a dumb question...other than the 9100 the only new piece of gear I am using is the 1/8 mini jack cable I got from soundpros...is it even possible that is an issue ?
Sorry this thread has gotten off topic. I do appreciate the battery input from everyone.
Not likely... It must be a bad battery.. there are so many fraudulent batteries out there its not funny I got some a while back paid full pop for them friend of mine works for Duracell confirmed they were fakes. So that being said I would invest in a cheap multimeter and test them new out of the box they should be 9.6 volts or pretty dam close to that. If they are not close you have A - fake battery B - Really old stock. That being said if you have this issue again let me know. Did you buy the mics directly from me? If you did they should be fine. I did make a few pairs maybe 10 or so that did not have my mod in them for customers that record quiet sources. The chances of you getting a pair of these would be very slim. If you are still not getting anywhere send it all back to me and I can test and confirm they are working correctly or NOT working correctly in about 10 seconds.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline zupanic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »
you the man Chris!
The CA-11's I was running have proven themselves time and time again even though I got them used. Always work great with a battery box and "mic-in low" on my DR-2d
The 9100 I also purchased used from a reputable guy here in the yard sale, but out of 3 bands and 2 venues, I have yet to make an acceptable recording with it. Used a brand new Energizer Advanced Lithium the first night and a brand new Energizer Max the second night. Perhaps my local Kroger grocery store just sells crappy old batteries...I don't know.
The "good" recording I made (same venue/night) was with a battery box with an Energizer Max that I purchased from the same store back in October.
I just got a brand new set of CA-14's from you a couple weeks ago which I haven't had a chance to use yet. I will be using them with the battery box until I figure out what is going wrong. I would like to ship the preamp to you to be checked out. I didn't buy it direct from you so I'm willing to pay shipping both ways. PM me the $$ to check it out (and I understand that if something is wrong with it, I will pay extra to have it fixed). Thanks!

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 11:06:36 AM »
you the man Chris!
The CA-11's I was running have proven themselves time and time again even though I got them used. Always work great with a battery box and "mic-in low" on my DR-2d
The 9100 I also purchased used from a reputable guy here in the yard sale, but out of 3 bands and 2 venues, I have yet to make an acceptable recording with it. Used a brand new Energizer Advanced Lithium the first night and a brand new Energizer Max the second night. Perhaps my local Kroger grocery store just sells crappy old batteries...I don't know.
The "good" recording I made (same venue/night) was with a battery box with an Energizer Max that I purchased from the same store back in October.
I just got a brand new set of CA-14's from you a couple weeks ago which I haven't had a chance to use yet. I will be using them with the battery box until I figure out what is going wrong. I would like to ship the preamp to you to be checked out. I didn't buy it direct from you so I'm willing to pay shipping both ways. PM me the $$ to check it out (and I understand that if something is wrong with it, I will pay extra to have it fixed). Thanks!
I honestly doubt its the preamp. My preamp will work or not work it will usually not distort. unless its really overloaded. I would suspect the mics if they are high sensitivity ca-11. I would try the preamp with your new ca-14's first see if the distortion is still going on if it is. Then there is a chance you have a REALLY early 9100 with a very low bias power of 4.5 volts not really enough for serious loud shows with my mics.

Offline zupanic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
sent you a PM Chris. Tested everything...no idea what to make of the results

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 07:36:08 AM »
At the risk of insulting the OP, are you sure you were running the DR2D correctly?  The level meter is a good indication of where you're at, but it works in tandem with the switch on the back of the unit.  In other words, 98 out of 100 on the level switch doesn't mean much if you're not paying attention to the L - M - H gain switch on the back of the DR2D.  If I remember correctly, for loud music the switch on the back needs to be set to L and the level setting on the front up around 100.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:39:21 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline zupanic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 04:15:39 PM »
no offense taken tonedeaf, but the only switches on the back of the DR-2d are "hold" and "speaker"

as far as gain goes, I was using line in so that setting is irrelevant.

After some tests, it just appears that my CA-11's and CA9100 just don't wanna play nice.
Battery box works great with the 11's. 9100 and battery box work great with my CA-14's. It's a mystery and I'm not worried about it any more since the 9100 and 14's get along and I only plan on using the 11's for  >:D with the battery box anyway. I have sent a message to Chris to see if he has any insight mainly because my curiosity is killing me.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »
FYI- High/Low input sensitivity on the DR2d affects the mic input only and is switched via a setup menu.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »
Which begs the question... You are sure you were using line-in, not mic -in right?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:37:12 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline zupanic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 04:50:49 PM »
Which begs the question... You are sure you were using line-in, not mic -in right?

;D   yeah
I managed to reproduce the problem yesterday in my livingroom. My 11's and 9100 just don't get along. I should add that I LOVE my 11's with a battery box and the 9100 works great with my new 14's.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:55:19 PM by esoxhunter »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
That's just bizarre. I hope you get it figured out.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »
I've been burned a few times by duracell's I got at bodegas. Duracells are my go to battery that I use when my rechargeables are not available and have never had an issue with Duracells I've bought at Costco or Target but I suspect I've gotten fakes at the halal markets. Not sure if this is a good way to tell but the bodega ones will have french or spanish writing on the packaging and the expiration date makes it appear they are reasonably new yet they end up being duds.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »

;D   yeah
I managed to reproduce the problem yesterday in my livingroom. My 11's and 9100 just don't get along. I should add that I LOVE my 11's with a battery box and the 9100 works great with my new 14's.

I would say you have one of two things going on.

1 You have a really old 9100 that is only 4.5 volts of plug in power
2 you have high sensitivity ca-11 cards. ( I only made 10 pairs of these in Card ) From about 2005 to 2009

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 11:50:08 PM »
I would trust them from a grocery store. Especially if their turnover was high, (to ensure a fresh stock.) Just don't get them from a liquor store in the middle of nowhere. ;)

I remember in 2001 when I flew to Salt Lake City to meet up with a friend to go to tape the Allman Brothers at Red Rocks. We taped Blue Oyster Cult at a cheezy little county fair in a small town in Utah while en-route. I didn't pack nine volt batteries, thinking that I could get them later. We ended up stopping at a state-run liquor store in the middle of nowhere to buy batteries. I didn't notice that one of the batteries in the two-pack had been opened and then taped back together. My Beyer MV-100 went a little over an hour until the red light came on and one channel died. That experience STILL stings.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »
I would trust them from a grocery store. Especially if their turnover was high, (to ensure a fresh stock.) Just don't get them from a liquor store in the middle of nowhere. ;)

I remember in 2001 when I flew to Salt Lake City to meet up with a friend to go to tape the Allman Brothers at Red Rocks. We taped Blue Oyster Cult at a cheezy little county fair in a small town in Utah while en-route. I didn't pack nine volt batteries, thinking that I could get them later. We ended up stopping at a state-run liquor store in the middle of nowhere to buy batteries. I didn't notice that one of the batteries in the two-pack had been opened and then taped back together. My Beyer MV-100 went a little over an hour until the red light came on and one channel died. That experience STILL stings.

Bummer. My rechargeable AA energizes are rated at 2300mah and they hold a better max capacity than when I got them 2 years ago
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 05:31:58 AM »
Bummer. My rechargeable AA energizes are rated at 2300mah and they hold a better max capacity than when I got them 2 years ago

That's because you use a great charger that reconditions your batteries. I would never use anything but good rechargeables with a charger like the La Crosse BC1000 or Maha MCH-9000. I prefer low self discharge NiMh's like the Imedions here:
http://www.amazon.com/Imedion-2400mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries-4-Pack/dp/B003LWMZ5M

LSD Nimh's like the Imedions or Eneloops don't need to be recharged immediately before a concert and seem to have a much longer useful life than regular NiMh's. Of my batch of 5 year old Eneloop 2000 Mahs used with a La Crosse, 85% still have a capacity greater than 2000 mAhs. I wouldn't use alkaline with anything but a battery box where they can last hundreds of hours. With a preamp or recorder, I'd use Nimhs and recharge after every show so yo never need to worry about when the battery is going to go dead. 

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com