Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Kangol Material  (Read 15787 times)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best Kangol Material
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »
The 504 does the job... I felt and looked like a complete dick wearing it. Was horrified when the theatre doors weren't open on time and everyone was milling around in the foyer. At least I got a good pull, that was the only consolation  ;)

yeah, the 504 does look very weird. 

i prefer the tropic 507 (http://www.kangolstore.com/product.aspx?id=217223) or the stripe 507 (http://www.kangolstore.com/p/281336/Polo-Stripe-507.aspx). 

stevetoney

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 10:42:40 AM »
It's all personal preference.  But as long as everyone else is stating fashion opinions, I thought those that you link to would look stranger on me than the 504....especially the one with the skunk stripe.   ;)

I don't  >:D much but when I do I turn the 504 backwards.  It has a little more space in the right spots that way.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:36:17 AM by tonedeaf »

cashandkerouac

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »
the Kangol stripe is my favorite in terms of fit and comfort.   ;D 

plus, the stripe has special powers...   :o 

stevetoney

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 01:53:23 PM »
plus, the stripe has special powers...   :o

Put an 88 on the side on that hat and people will think you're Dale Jr.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »
Kangol is birth control. Ain't no one got game with that on.  :o

I use a a mesh truckers baseball cap.  Something like this.  http://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/56593/pacific-headwear-104c-trucker-mesh-baseball-caps.html 

I have a few.  Met the woman I am dating at a show wearing it.  She likes the results and that has game.   ;D

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »

Just picked up a Tropic 507. Quickly tossed in the CK930's into and it is COMFY! I was wearing it forward with the caps on the left and right side of the bill. Not sure how that will effect the sound since I'm pretty much running cards A/B.

I've been running my MCE400's in a trucker cap for years and it can get a little uncomfortable during a long show. I've been happy with the results of the recordings though. I think running them in the Kangol will be a piece of cake, and I might like the sound better than cards. I prefer not to stand like a complete statue during shows.

Also run the B3's on my glasses, but out of 3 shows running those I've yet to make a good recording. I just don't like how much of the room those mics pick up.

Any suggestions on how to best mount the CK930's in the Kangol?If it is possible to mount them close to DIN and still keep things comfy and normal looking that would be great. Please PM since I'd prefer not to share photos in public.

Going to try to run some experimental recordings during the opening band for DBT this weekend (unless it's someone I really like).

I was also happy that I don't look like as much of a tool as I thought I would in a Kangol. I think I actually look pretty sharp.  :P  8)  ;D

EDIT: Upon further testing I like my MCE400's in the significantly better. Just so light and comfy. Maybe I'll find a better way t mount the Beyer's, but I think I'd prefer to run omni's under most situations. Did a quick test recording with the computer speakers (Audio Engine A2's) and even though they sound different I don't have a preference on either set of mics. Both sounds pretty good in the hat.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:21:51 PM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »
Interesting. I just ordered (but not yet received) the tropic 504 ventair, and also have the same mics as you, so I would like to know what the (practical) differences are between the 2 hats? I think both will make one look like a tool, and I am fully expecting to excel in that department (my long-suffering wife will testify).... one thing I notice is that the tropic 504 seems to have a band of extra porous material around the rim, but I don't see that in the 507, not to say it's not there of course....

If anybody has some practical suggestions then I would also love to receive pm's with advice/pics etc

Thanks

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 01:18:12 PM »
Well I received my 504 today. I can confirm I look like a total dick wearing it - but wow this hat seems to be made for tapers.

I really like the mesh fabric and I have heard some good pulls wearing one, but does anybody know if there are any "scientific" data on how acoustically transparent these hats really are?

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
Kangol is birth control. Ain't no one got game with that on.  :o

:yack:

FWIW, I scored a black straw driving cap that looks like this:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/country-gentleman-cuffly-driving-cap-straw-ivy-for-men~p~5617d/
When in doubt, speak confidently with an accent and, some but not all, chicks will dig it.      8)

Also looks pretty acoustically transparent:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kakadu-australia-townsville-packable-hat-upf-50-plus--ventilating-mesh-for-men-and-women~p~2655t/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:01:57 PM by Pffffft ! »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 11:05:02 PM »
Does the Kangol make me look like a douche? Yes, definitely.

Do I ever give a shit what I looked like at the time I got my Schoeps in the sweet spot and pulled the heat? No, never.

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 11:33:42 AM »
^^^ this!

:coolguy:
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

adrianf74

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »
^^^ this!

:coolguy:

I dunno... is wearing a Kangol to pull a show with ANY mics better than clipping the mics to the outside of a cap?   I'd say YES to that as well.

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
Yep, that's what I was commenting on. I don't run Schoeps anyway, so there's that. :)  Ultimately I could care less what I look like when the lights go down and the band hits the stage.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

adrianf74

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »
Yep, that's what I was commenting on. I don't run Schoeps anyway, so there's that. :)  Ultimately I could care less what I look like when the lights go down and the band hits the stage.

Exactly... I was trying to agree with you.   Bottom line is that any mics clipped to the body that can be seen look stupid (especially if you're outdoors with rats on).  I don't run Schoeps actives but will likely be going the AKG route so it'll still look better than taping the mics/couplings to my jacket.   :o

Offline roman79

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 07:45:45 AM »
Sorry - post deleted.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:34:16 PM by roman79 »
Microphones: DPA MMC4011s > DP-MMP-ES ; Countryman B3s ; CA-14s (cards)
Pre-Amps: Tinybox V2 ; Tinybox ; Bat 2B
Recorders: DR-100 Mk2 ; PCM-M10 ; R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.277 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com