Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-10M  (Read 21337 times)

Offline dominicperry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-10M
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2018, 04:58:09 AM »
A couple of other things, while I'm here (there's no Sound Devices forum anymore, and I'm not signing up to Facebook just to join the Sounds Devices group. What were they thinking ?............. :facepalm: )

No pads. Minimum gain is 6dB. I can see this being a pain with band rehearsals. I could carry some inline pads around. How many? 8?
No Hi-Z / DI setting. I have an Avenson Small DI, but it means an extra cable and device.

So, it's not great making a portable device if you have to carry all the bits which are missing separately. I'm guessing there just wasn't room....

Dominic
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:45:02 AM by dominicperry »

Offline slam630

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2018, 07:58:03 AM »
The lack of pads might not be that bad. A lot of condensers have pads on the mic. Dynamics and ribbons usually don’t need a pad.

I’m more bummed that it is only 8 tracks instead of 10. Can’t  the 10t record 10 tracks at once?

Tha 8 tracks thing is pushing me more toward getting a zoom f8 or livetrak instead.

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »
No, no sign of Bluetooth support or the Wingman app.

Crap.  Thanks for the reports!
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2018, 09:06:46 AM »
The lack of pads might not be that bad. A lot of condensers have pads on the mic. Dynamics and ribbons usually don’t need a pad.

I’m more bummed that it is only 8 tracks instead of 10. Can’t  the 10t record 10 tracks at once?

Tha 8 tracks thing is pushing me more toward getting a zoom f8 or livetrak instead.

I don't know what the 10T can do. But I don't see the sense in buying a 10M if you don't need overdubbing.

Dominic

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2018, 09:09:55 AM »
No, no sign of Bluetooth support or the Wingman app.

Crap.  Thanks for the reports!

It might be that the hardware is there, waiting to be used - how much is a Bluetooth module these days? I would have thought it would cost more to take it off the board than leave it in. But, at the moment, there's no sign of it in the system menu.

This device runs a completely different firmware version to the rest of the MixPre series. I believe the rest are on 1.53. The 10M uses 2.00 (which isn't available for download, for whatever reason).

Dominic

Offline slam630

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2018, 09:18:10 AM »

I don't know what the 10T can do. But I don't see the sense in buying a 10M if you don't need overdubbing.

Dominic

I’m looking to record my bands gigs while I play bass. The more tracks the merrier. I don’t need to overdub but would love the SD sound quality. Having the two extra tracks would help justify the extra expense over the F8. Right now the 10m is about twice as much as the f8 fit the same number of tracks.

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »

I’m looking to record my bands gigs while I play bass. The more tracks the merrier. I don’t need to overdub but would love the SD sound quality. Having the two extra tracks would help justify the extra expense over the F8. Right now the 10m is about twice as much as the f8 fit the same number of tracks.

Understood. The 10M just doesn't fit the bill then for you, I'm afraid.
The F8 gets good reviews for sound quality, I'm not sure how much difference the 10M/T would really make in a live scenario. But the only Zoom items I've used are the H4N and H6 and L12, all of which seemed pretty good as long as you fed them a reasonable signal.

Dominic

Offline slam630

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »
The F8 gets good reviews for sound quality, I'm not sure how much difference the 10M/T would really make in a live scenario. But the only Zoom items I've used are the H4N and H6 and L12, all of which seemed pretty good as long as you fed them a reasonable signal.

Dominic

Yes I was hoping for 2 extra tracks. I get decent results with my Zoom H6 as it is.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
^Bands have other options such as an X32 rack with an expansion card that would record up to 32 channels for less money than the SD.  Or a Soundcraft ui24r if it has enough inputs for your band.

The ability to hit a record button on your audio mixer without having to carry a recorder and extra microphones is pretty handy.  That to me, is better suited to musicians, IMO. 

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2018, 02:04:15 PM »

Dominic

I have 10-t and a 6 and I owned a Zoom F-4 and F-8. The Mixpre's may have better Pre-s (although actual tests would be useful to confirm this) and I am very happy with the mixpre sound wise, the reality is that the Zoom F8 is much more straightforward as a recorder, is less expensive, and has features the mixpre 10 should have, like dual sd card record. Even though I like them, some of the design choices with the mixpre's are quite strange.

I would love to hear actual test of the Zoom versus the Mixpre's however, as I was surprised by the difference between the sononsax and mixpre in Noah's testing...

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:08:12 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2018, 11:11:07 PM »

I would love to hear actual test of the Zoom versus the Mixpre's however, as I was surprised by the difference between the sononsax and mixpre in Noah's testing...

How so?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »

How so?

Sonosax SX-R4 vs Mixpre-6 : I liked the sound of one them much better. A similar test with Zoom F-8 and Mixpre-6 would be interesting.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 03:21:26 PM »

How so?

Sonosax SX-R4 vs Mixpre-6 : I liked the sound of one them much better. A similar test with Zoom F-8 and Mixpre-6 would be interesting.

I’d be happy to participate!!!
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2018, 04:30:44 AM »
I have had confirmation from Sound Devices that the reverb function is not available at 96kHz (as observed). This limitation is missing from the manual (ver 2-B).

Dominic

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
Firmware v. 2.10 now out...

https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/mixpres-firmware

Changes introduced in 2.10 include:

New

Remix (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to playback any existing file and create a new LR mix by adjusting its ISO tracks' fader levels and pans. Remix is enabled in the Record menu and is only available in Advanced Mode or Custom Mode with Gain set to Advanced. Remixing requires that the source file include at least one ISO track.
    Re-record LR (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to record the LR mix during remixing. All metadata from the source file is transferred to the re-recorded 2-ch LR mix poly wav file. A re-recorded file's name is the same as the original source file name but prefixed with the characters 'R_'. Re-recording requires Remix to be enabled and the source file to have at least one ISO track.
    Cue Marks. Support for cue marks to allow jumping directly to points of interest within a wav file. Cue marks can be added during recording or playback and can be deleted, named and moved. Jump directly to a cue mark by selecting it from a file's Cue List and then pressing play. On the 10T, skip from cue to cue using FFWD and REW joystick. Cue marks are embedded in the wav file's metadata and can be read and displayed by compatible computer applications (e.g. Adobe Audition, Reaper.)
    Option to set the USB Audio interface to output only 2 channels in order to increase compatibility with applications that do not support multichannel USB audio. Go to Menu>System>USB Audio and select Stereo Out.
    Additional channel linking options (-6, -10T only). For the MixPre-10T, additional options include 1-3, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 5-7 and for the MixPre-6, option 1-3 is added.
    Link Type menu (-6, -10T only) providing the ability to choose which parameters are linked when linking three or more channels. Selecting the 'All' option links input type, trim gains, faders, limiters, low cuts, record arms, and delays. Selecting the 'Faders Only' option only links the faders.

Changed

Four button layout is now changed to six button layout in the Channel screens.
    Rendering start and stop points are now determined by the Play In and Stop cues if set. This is ideal for rendering out only a part of a project. (10M only)
    Cue markers are now embedded into rendered WAV files. (10M only)
    Mute now deactivates the input. Previously mute would only mute the input in the headphone monitor.
    Mute is now accessible via the Channel screen.
    10T factory default mode is now set to Advanced instead of Basic.
    Monitor button is now grayed out when Input is set to Off. (10M only)
    The track that is using 'Air' is now displayed in the greyed out button of other tracks. (10M only)

Fixed

Headphone clip indicator was only being displayed when adjusting headphone level
    Some USB keyboard shortcuts were not working (10M only)
    Brief audio burst when soloing a channel (10M only)
    Enabling a track's input monitor would incorrectly enable other tracks' input monitors during record (10M only)
    Transport stability, media performance and UI navigation have been improved
    Timecode Menu and USB Drive Status Error Handling have been improved (10T only)
    Fast Forward and Rewind were not responsive in the Channel screens. (10T and 10M only)
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com