Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Minidisc decks with S/PDIF out?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Minidisc decks with S/PDIF out?
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:57:03 AM »
I have a few minidiscs that I would like to transfer to cd, plus I am going to transfer a bunch of them from a local band. Anyone know one that has S/PDIF out? I found one so far. It a Tascam and looks nice put don't want to spend $400. I also don't want to get a new soundcard (mine takes S/DIF in). Guess I could do deck > optical in UA5 > usb > computer or something like that, but I rather make it as easy as possible. Let me know.
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Minidisc decks with S/PDIF out?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:03:05 AM »
I've got a Sony JE530 that has optical S/PDIF out.  I usually go optical out of that box into my NJB3 optical input, do an optical recording on the NJB3, then transfer the recording to computer via either USB or firewire.  That has proven to be quite reliable and I get exactly the same file every time after trimming the beginning and end of the file to the same points on the original waveform.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:18:01 AM »
Forgot about that option. Guess I could do that. Sounds easier than what I thought of doing.
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »
I guess in your case, you could use a Hosa ODL-276 to convert the optical signal to coaxial S/DIF and then go into your MT 24/96.  It would have the same effect as recording to a NJB3 via optical.

I don't think that you'd want to go optical into a UA-5 because I think that digital inputs are resampled.  It would be better to record to a device that does not resample S/PDIF inputs.  The NJB3 would not resample the input before storing it.  The MT 24/96 doesn't resample, does it?  I just got to thinking that I've never seen any solid evidence of whether it stores a bit-literal copy of the input or whether it resamples.  Has anyone here ever tested to see how the MT 24/96 handles S/PDIF inputs (resampling or not)?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

sml42

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 02:14:07 PM »
I bought a Sony MDS-JE470 from ebay, cost GBP 40. It does NOT have digital out HOWEVER it is possible to mod the unit to give optical out. Basically drill a couple holes and solder a suitable optical transmitter into the main pcb. Worked a charm for me, I successfully transferred a MD. If you decide to go this route, I can supply better instructions and photos if required. (and if you choose a different deck, do please check online first to see if it is possible to mod!)

best regards,
stephen

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 04:24:56 PM »
I have that tascam deck your talking about...I am looking to sell it....It is mint!  It has less than 100 hours on it.....maybe around 75....  I am looking to sell PM me if your interested...I am willing to Negotiate if your serious about buying.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.288 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com