Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Frustrating Issues With Windows 10  (Read 2989 times)

Offline jmitchell

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Frustrating Issues With Windows 10
« on: February 04, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
I recently did a reinstall of Windows 10.  Everything now must be run as an administrator, otherwise I can't save anything.  I have searched all over the interwebs looking for some kind of solution, but I have yet to find one.  The best solutions I have found don't really address my problem.  Most of what is out there explains how to run as an admin.  I want to be able to NOT run as admin and to be able to save and write to folders and files.  I have had to go in and manually give permission to read and write for Foobar, dBpoweramp, Samplitude, Traders Little Helper and basically anything else that can have changes saved.  If you have any type of experience or solution for me, I would love to hear it.  This is beyond frustrating, and approaching insanity.  I want to knock back the administrator business.  I am the only one that uses this computer and network.  I want to be able to save when I want to save, I want to be able to add tags using Foobar & dBpoweramp.  The thing that is grinding my gears right now is trying to tag files with dBpoweramp. 

Some of the steps I have tried
on a .exe file > right click > properties > advanced > check run as admin
I have given read and write permissions to system, account, administrators
I have changed UAC
I have changed all of this for User as well as Admin for specific folders and files
I have used all of these programs before the reinstall, and they all worked as intended, and I want to be able to use them again

I don't know what else to do.

AKG C451E, CK1, CK22, CK3
Telefunken M60, TK60, TK62
Studio Projects C4 Cards & Omni
CA-14 Cards & Omni
Audioroot Femto, Sound Devices MixPre-D
Sound Devices MixPre-6, Zoom F8n, Roland R-05

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Frustrating Issues With Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 06:23:43 PM »
dumb question but is your user set up as an admin?  even if so have you tried setting up a new admin account?

did you do a clean install or in place upgrade?

Have you run sfc /scanow and/or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from command line as admin?
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jmitchell

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 07:12:28 PM »
dumb question but is your user set up as an admin?  even if so have you tried setting up a new admin account?

did you do a clean install or in place upgrade?

Have you run sfc /scanow and/or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from command line as admin?

User as admin?  Yes.  I have also created new users as admin, and I have the same "problem."  I don't think Microsoft sees this as a problem because it is right out of the box like this.
Clean install
Have I run...?  No.

CA-14 Cards & Omni

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »
You've turned off UAC completely?
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 09:53:16 PM »
That seems really odd. I've installed Windows dozens of times and never seen that.

Seems like it might be a setting that you could change to clear this up...but it also might be faster just to zap it and start over. Doubtful it would return on a clean install.

You might want to head over to https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/ and ask the same question.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jmitchell

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 10:32:09 AM »
That seems really odd. I've installed Windows dozens of times and never seen that.

Seems like it might be a setting that you could change to clear this up...but it also might be faster just to zap it and start over. Doubtful it would return on a clean install.

You might want to head over to https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/ and ask the same question.

That is what I think as well, there should be a pretty simple work around or setting to change.  I can't find anything, and nothing I have found in searches has worked.  I have done another install.  The first install I got it to a point where I couldn't make any changes because I had lost any access I had previously.  The window would come up asking for authorization and password, but there was no area to enter a password and the only box that was highlighted was "No," there wasn't even the option to go forward.  Once that started happening, I started over with a new install, and I am still having the same issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/anfibk/windows_10_run_as_admin/? posted here as well.  Thanks
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:03:55 AM by jmitchell »
CA-14 Cards & Omni

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 10:56:26 AM »

That is what I think as well, there should be a pretty simple work around or setting to change.  I can't find anything, and nothing I have found in searches has worked.  I have done another install.  The first install I got it to a point where I couldn't make any changes because I had lost any access I had previously.  The window would come up asking for authorization and password, but there was no area to enter a password and the only box that was highlighted was "No," there wasn't even the option to go forward.  Once that started happening, I started over with a new install, and I am still having the same issues.

2019...I was thinking about getting a new box, and starting to migrate things over to W10, but I can wait a bit longer to see how this works out.

I feel your pain, but i don't WANT to.  Marking this thread.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 11:42:21 AM »
Try tapping it gently with a banjo mute......
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 12:31:43 PM »
I have done another install.  The first install I got it to a point where I couldn't make any changes because I had lost any access I had previously.  The window would come up asking for authorization and password, but there was no area to enter a password and the only box that was highlighted was "No," there wasn't even the option to go forward.  Once that started happening, I started over with a new install, and I am still having the same issues.

That doesn't sound like a true clean install.  I have clean installed Win 10 probably a hundred times.  On SSD it only takes 10 minutes or so.  Never ran into any issuers like this.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »
are you running as the actual user administrator ?

as dumb as this sounds the administrator account is actually restricted in windows 10 pro. You will run in to a whole slew of things that an administrator account would normally never have an issue with. Specifically launching the windows store and using a browser etc. I run in to this from time to time when onboarding windows 10 pro machines

if you are using a regular account like user1 and it has the restrictions, that is NOT normal. I run windows 10 pro at home and i have never been prompted for any credentials. My user account is like "user name" and i have made it an administrators account in UAC. BUT if you run as the "administrator" account you will run in to weirdness. Even as a domain administrator those restrictions exist in windows 10 pro
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline jmitchell

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »
100% user error

I didn't create any new partitions for the OS
CA-14 Cards & Omni

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 05:04:00 PM »
100% user error

I didn't create any new partitions for the OS

I'm no genius, but why would you need to partition the disk? I that that was optional, like if you were running multiple OS's?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 06:26:45 PM »
Clean install of 10 on UEFI secure boot has to create a number of partitions to work correctly. I walked him through it over messenger.  I'm guessing the old install was version 1803, new one was 1809 and it didn't work with the old partitions. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:30:26 PM by Gordon »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com