Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD > DVD (Mac)  (Read 9985 times)

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
Re: HD > DVD (Mac)
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 03:57:39 PM »

Drop frames may not be the proper term but yes it is transcoded to AIC but i do know that any imovie above HD6 is not structured the same way. Imovie9, imovie11, the resulting file is supposedly not as high quality picture as imovie HD6.  I will try to research more and try to find the proper terminology.  I use the voltaic on all my AVCHD files to turn them in usable footage with imovie HD6 and use the slick rick plug ins.  Maybe that was another reason why I use imovie HD6 because the fact you need the whole folder structure for imovie. And imovie 9 and imovie 11 jsut have very limiting editing, but as you use FCP then of course there is not that shortfall.

Hmm.  I'm trying to find out more about this also.  If what you say is correct, then I might consider going back to iMovie HD/6 to capture.  Or simply capture with FCE.  That should be optimal for editing in FCE, no?  I've been going through iMovie HD first so I can throw up my YT clips first will working on the full DVDs in FCE.  But now I've discovered it's way easier to sync the entire show first in FCE, then just cut the individual clips from that timeline (instead of having to sync all the tracks separately in iMovie HD for YT).  So I really don't need to go through any version of iMovie at all.

I'll be interested to see if you find anything about the HD6 vs later capturing though, if only for academic reasons.  Also, what are "slick rick" plugins for Voltaic?  My Google searches for "slick rick" and "voltaic plugins" are coming up empty...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:00:26 PM by tapeheadtoo »
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 11:14:30 PM »

Drop frames may not be the proper term but yes it is transcoded to AIC but i do know that any imovie above HD6 is not structured the same way. Imovie9, imovie11, the resulting file is supposedly not as high quality picture as imovie HD6.  I will try to research more and try to find the proper terminology.  I use the voltaic on all my AVCHD files to turn them in usable footage with imovie HD6 and use the slick rick plug ins.  Maybe that was another reason why I use imovie HD6 because the fact you need the whole folder structure for imovie. And imovie 9 and imovie 11 jsut have very limiting editing, but as you use FCP then of course there is not that shortfall.

Hmm.  I'm trying to find out more about this also.  If what you say is correct, then I might consider going back to iMovie HD/6 to capture.  Or simply capture with FCE.  That should be optimal for editing in FCE, no?  I've been going through iMovie HD first so I can throw up my YT clips first will working on the full DVDs in FCE.  But now I've discovered it's way easier to sync the entire show first in FCE, then just cut the individual clips from that timeline (instead of having to sync all the tracks separately in iMovie HD for YT).  So I really don't need to go through any version of iMovie at all.

I'll be interested to see if you find anything about the HD6 vs later capturing though, if only for academic reasons.  Also, what are "slick rick" plugins for Voltaic?  My Google searches for "slick rick" and "voltaic plugins" are coming up empty...

Actually google geethree they make the slick plug ins for imovie and FCP they can tell you the technical differences and possible advantages and or disadvantages to imovie HD 6 vs. the upgrades and FCP. FYI there entire line of plug ins for imovie only work with imovie HD6 or FCP, which inherently tells that the technical aspect of imovie 8, 9 and 11 are different. Now is it good different or bad different, i dont know.  That is above my pay scale. But the guys who make the plug ins were apple developers and can hopefully shed light on the differences.
I did send the message out to  the guys at geethree who makes slick plug ins, they are actually  previous apple developers who worked on AIC and they are the ones that are able to inform on why the whole structure of the imovie HD6 program is different then updated versions, and why the updated versions are more for the upload to web oriented content, it has been stated that quality is less on those updated versions of imovie.
apple discussion boards on their main web site is great for information also.

sidenote

Now if someone could tell me if Schoeps CCM4 and/or CCM41 come as a lemo or attached mic cable that would be great. And if there is lemo does it add a robust cable exit to the cable?

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
Okay, I just found the following explanation in the online Apple forum:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would use iMovie 06 with iDVD 09/11, why?

iMovie 09/11 uses 'single field processing' meaning every other horizontal line of the video is thrown out, which reduces the sharpness of the footage. iMovie 06 uses ALL of the image to form the video.

If your primary workflow is editing DV clips and making DVDs, iMovie '06 is better suited. Your movie will arrive at iDVD in DV format, which is an ideal match for making a DVD: same resolution, same pixels aspect ratio, and original quality. If you share your movie from iMovie 09/11, it gets re-rendered at 640x480 or less, and then iDVD upscales it back to 720x480. The end result is obviously not as good.

iMovie 06 and iDVD 09/11 is a "lossless" combination. My movies are diamond sharp, with the same quality you get from Hollywood.

This explanation is good enough for me.

I've been wondering why my DVDs don't look as crisp as I would like.  I thought perhaps it was due to also seeing my Blu-rays of the same projects.  Of course, SD will always look "not as good" in comparison.  But the above is a compelling argument that my DVD's _could_ look better.

Now I'm mad that I've distributed lots of DVDs that could have been sharper.  Should I go back and redo them all???  Yeah, another project for the back burner, like "scan all my old family photographs," "transfer all my old DAT masters," and "digitally archive my 1,500 Yes cassettes." 
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »
Okay, I just found the following explanation in the online Apple forum:

I would use iMovie 06 with iDVD 09/11, why?

iMovie 09/11 uses 'single field processing' meaning every other horizontal line of the video is thrown out, which reduces the sharpness of the footage. iMovie 06 uses ALL of the image to form the video.

If your primary workflow is editing DV clips and making DVDs, iMovie '06 is better suited. Your movie will arrive at iDVD in DV format, which is an ideal match for making a DVD: same resolution, same pixels aspect ratio, and original quality. If you share your movie from iMovie 09/11, it gets re-rendered at 640x480 or less, and then iDVD upscales it back to 720x480. The end result is obviously not as good.

iMovie 06 and iDVD 09/11 is a "lossless" combination. My movies are diamond sharp, with the same quality you get from Hollywood.

This explanation is good enough for me.

I've been wondering why my DVDs don't look as crisp as I would like.  I thought perhaps it was due to also seeing my Blu-rays of the same projects.  Of course, SD will always look "not as good" in comparison.  But the above is a compelling argument that my DVD's _could_ look better.

Now I'm mad that I've distributed lots of DVDs that could have been sharper.  Should I go back and redo them all???  Yeah, another project for the back burner, like "scan all my old family photographs," "transfer all my old DAT masters," and "digitally archive my 1,500 Yes cassettes."

see I thought there was a visual difference when working with imovie HD6 vs. 09 and 11 I just am not smart enough to explain it with the right terminology, and thats why i dont use 09 or 11 because others were saying that the quality is not as good due to inherent design of 09 and imovie 11.
Thats why i do my projects in imovie HD 6 and use Voltaic to take AVCHD to .mov files. no loss in resolution.

In fact i filmed Colin Hay acoustic concert ( men at work fame) with AVCHD and convert that to .mov with voltaic worked in imovie HD 6.  I just have not uploaded it yet.  Actually because my audio did not turn out very well.

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
Thats why i do my projects in imovie HD 6 and use Voltaic to take AVCHD to .mov files. no loss in resolution.

In fact i filmed Colin Hay acoustic concert ( men at work fame) with AVCHD and convert that to .mov with voltaic worked in imovie HD 6. 

Why don't you just capture the footage in iMovie HD 6 to edit it directly?  That way you wouldn't need the extra Voltaic step?  Or perhaps I am misunderstanding this...

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 11:26:10 PM »
so does anyone know if i can load iMovie 6 onto a 2010 MBP?
I don't want to screw anything up with my current configuration if it will not work
thanks
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 09:37:09 AM »

In fact i filmed Colin Hay acoustic concert ( men at work fame) with AVCHD and convert that to .mov with voltaic worked in imovie HD 6. 

Why don't you just capture the footage in iMovie HD 6 to edit it directly?  That way you wouldn't need the extra Voltaic step?  Or perhaps I am misunderstanding this...

imovie HD 6 does not accept AVCHD so it has to be conveted to a .mov file

There are numerous differences in the user interface, features, and workflow between iMovie HD 6 and iMovie 8/9/11.  Many of these are personal preferences in how you prefer to edit.

The one main technical difference is the iMovie HD 6 is designed as a .dv video editor.  All clips and edits are stored in a .dv format, so there is no loss in image quality from the original video.  This works especially well if you have a DV video camera, or make lots standard DVD's.  Newer versions of iMovie convert video to an intermediate file format when importing.  In most cases this is not a significant issue, but it you export/import multiple times you will see a loss in image quality as the "generations" continue.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 09:38:48 AM »
I don't want to screw anything up with my current configuration if it will not work
thanks

imovie HD 6 can run on the latest sofware SL 10.6 so it should have no problem on your MBP

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »
thanks

imovie HD 6 can run on the latest sofware SL 10.6 so it should have no problem on your MBP
sweet thanks
time to dig out my discs
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com