Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digital recorder versus Littlebox  (Read 3980 times)

Offline carpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Digital recorder versus Littlebox
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:48:55 AM »
I'd like to pose a question to Naiant little box owners who also have experience with various equipment.
I've been using with satisfaction a Naiant Littlebox with an Edirol r09 hr to record solo piano or chamber music concerts with piano.
I'm thinking about buying a recorder with phantom power in order to directly plug my mics and go. The battery option is ok, but mostly I'll plug the recorder into a wall socket behind the stage.
Apart any other  feature  I just need two tracks but maybe also the 4-track possibility would not be bad; I'd like the presence of internal mics, which can be useful, but it is not the main thing I search.
The point is: I'll consider something which will grant me at least the same preamp quality of my little box ( or better, of course!). My perspective is to buy a couple of mics as Lineaudio CM3, or if a find a deal something in the Neumann K184 level at maximum and pull decent recordings with not too many weak points.
Just to give  an idea, gear as  Tascam DR 100 MkIII, D680II, the Maranzt options, Zooms, probably Roland R-44 ( but I don't know is it is discontinued) could do the job.

Any suggestions?

thank you all

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Digital recorder versus Littlebox
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:55:20 AM »
I ran a Littlebox in front of a Sony M-10. Then I got Tascam DR-60D. Very happy with the recorder and preamps on the recorder. Eventually sold my Littlebox and don't run any separate preamp now.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
Agree. Once I got the Tascam DR 100 MkIII and MixPre-3, I don't even run my Sonosax anymore. For most stealth jobs, I had been using the 722 anyway but the Tascam DR 100 MkIII and mixpre-3 are even stealthier.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »
I ran a Littlebox in front of a Sony M-10. Then I got Tascam DR-60D. Very happy with the recorder and preamps on the recorder. Eventually sold my Littlebox and don't run any separate preamp now.

Same here. Used to run Littlebox and small recording deck then got out of the game for a while. When I returned I got a Tascam DR60d. The mic preamps are surprisingly good for a budget recorder and it records up to four channels (with a mini 1/8th inch input for channels 3/4).

I recently got an Aerco MP2 transformer based preamp to use with my Schoeps, but to be honest, the improvement over the built in preamps on the DR60d is definitely there, but is not jaw dropping. I could easily leave the preamp at home and still be happy.

Any number of decks nowadays are affordable, have decent onboard preamps and are easy to run off cheap 5V cell phone chargers. Tascam has several - the DR100 (2 tracks, 2 pres), DR60 (4 tracks, 2 pres) and DR70 (4 tracks, 4 pres).

I never use AC power in a stage setting. The risk of hum and interference from lighting, dimmers and dirty power is too great. I always run on batteries.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »
I never use AC power in a stage setting. The risk of hum and interference from lighting, dimmers and dirty power is too great. I always run on batteries.

I'd not thought of that.  Since the battery on my Tinybox is going for long shows I need to plug it in.  I've not yet had a problem doing that.  Jon said it wouldn't run that way but mine does pass phantom power when plugged into an outlet. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »
I too own a lb and tb as well as a Dr-60d
I run a couple of short comps and preferred the lb/tb over the 60d but it was close and I wouldn't hesitate to not use the lb/tb
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »
I still have my Littlebox and will never part with it.  That said, I do own a Tascam DR100 mkiii,  and I've been impressed with the results so far.  Real simple to use.  Real quiet preamps.  Powering is great if you run a preamp like the Littlebox, or with just go P48.  You should keep the Littlebox and add the Tascam, that way you have options and you can compare the two.  Then make the decision on whether you want to sell the Littlebox.  My 2 cents.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com