Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite New Microphone Stand  (Read 19673 times)

Offline DATPAT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Gear Slut
    • Mobiltracks-Mobile A/V Recording
Favorite New Microphone Stand
« on: January 20, 2018, 07:04:57 PM »
Howdy,Folks ,
I've been on the section for some time, but i rarely post. However, i have recent found a really unique stand that i'd like to share with you. I have been using the Manfrotto Nano Stand for years in situations where i don't need to run particularly high or when i need a compact travel stand to take when i fly out of town for festivals, or shows.  In the past i have used a Mathews extension pole to extend the height of my Nano Stand.  With the pole i can get about 10 ft. high.  However, when i do this the stand is kind of unstable if i fully extend both the pole and the stand. Based on a recent experience i had at a New years show i decided to look for a stand that would be able to reach at least 10 ft. high, and would fold down into a small foot print  (close to 2 ft. long). If you look at B & H for something that fits that criteria you'll be hard pressed to find anything that is close. In fact,  i did another search and there is no other stand available on B&H that will meet those parameters.  It's considerably larger in diameter than the Manfrotto, but it's much more stable, and with the adjustable extension feet you can set it up on un-level surfaces. I'm already envisioning how this will help me at a mountain fest i go to in Wyoming where the stage is at the bottom of the Ski Run and the FOB area is a bit uneven, and steep.  I have to say for the money i can't imagine there is a better stand available for a location recordist who needs a compact stand that will extend that high while still being stable.  I don't typically get excited about accessories,  but i got to say i'm pumped about applications for this stand. I have attached a link below to the stand, and i took a few photo's with both this stand and my trusty nano stand. If you decide to get one keep in mind it will take a few weeks to take delivery of it as B and H doesn't stock the stands. I'm in California so it took a week to deliver, and about 10 days for them to first ship the stand.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1074706-REG/photek_ls_8122_3_section_10_folding_light.html
Regards,
Mic's(pairs) AKG (414's, 391's, Se-10's, )AT 853's, 4050's,BEYER MC 740,Gefell m300's, NEUMANN U89  i's, SKM-140 Set , TLM 170's, 102's, OKTAVA Mk-012 set,319's, SENNHEISER MKH-8050's, Sanken CMS-10, SOUNDFIELD SPS200,ST-250.PROJECTS LSD-2, & C1's,TELFUNKEN Ela 260 Field Set (H,C,O), Copper heads
Decks: Tascam Dr100Mk2,DR-680, HS-P82, Zoom F-8,Fostex LR-16, Mackie SDR 2496
Pre's- Onyx Satallite,  Niaint Littlebox W/OT, Apogee AD -1000, Mini -Me, CoopePSA1
 Video: JVC GV-LS2WE, panasonic FZ-1000
Playback: B& K and Adcom Power Amps and Martin Logan Electrostatic's and Tannoy nearfields
http://www.mobiltracks.net

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
Re: Favorite New Microphone Stand
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
Great find! How do the legs lock into place at the various angle showed in the photos?

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:47:18 AM »
The legs "click" into position, and then you can flip the clamp on each leg to level the stand.

I've been using this stand for about 2 months.  Niiiice and compact, and the rubber feet are great to gaff tape to the floor.

Handy in tight locations, too....easy to narrow the footprint when needed.

It's not an "air stand", so you have to be a bit more careful.

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »
It's got a 5/8 stud, with a 1/4-20 threaded stub on top.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline dmcculh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »
This stand has looked interesting.  There is a thread with a few more photos here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=184199.0

Offline DATPAT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Gear Slut
    • Mobiltracks-Mobile A/V Recording
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »

Great find! How do the legs lock into place at the various angle showed in the photos?
The leg's lock into place via a latching mechanism which are released by depressing a tab at the top of the latch. I have a Manfroto travel tripod (Camera Tripod) that uses the same mechanism. It's very Stable.  The Nano stand never seemed stable once fully extended. I really think while it shows a 74" extended length it's best to keep in in the < 5 ft. range which isn't very useful for our applications as you typically want to be at least a ft above the crowds head. I thinkwhere the Nano really shines is for a on stage situation where you have the option of running on stage.  However, the Photec should have you covered in 90% of the situations you'll come across. For $60+ you can't beat it.
Mic's(pairs) AKG (414's, 391's, Se-10's, )AT 853's, 4050's,BEYER MC 740,Gefell m300's, NEUMANN U89  i's, SKM-140 Set , TLM 170's, 102's, OKTAVA Mk-012 set,319's, SENNHEISER MKH-8050's, Sanken CMS-10, SOUNDFIELD SPS200,ST-250.PROJECTS LSD-2, & C1's,TELFUNKEN Ela 260 Field Set (H,C,O), Copper heads
Decks: Tascam Dr100Mk2,DR-680, HS-P82, Zoom F-8,Fostex LR-16, Mackie SDR 2496
Pre's- Onyx Satallite,  Niaint Littlebox W/OT, Apogee AD -1000, Mini -Me, CoopePSA1
 Video: JVC GV-LS2WE, panasonic FZ-1000
Playback: B& K and Adcom Power Amps and Martin Logan Electrostatic's and Tannoy nearfields
http://www.mobiltracks.net

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 08:16:41 PM »
Nice find, Pat. Ordering one.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »

Nice! I've been using a heavy as hell 9 footer for the past couple of years. Might look into getting one of these.

How big is the footprint if extended out all the way? One thing I like about my current stand is that you can shore up the legs quite a bit and cut the footprint almost in half.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 06:38:28 PM »
Thanks!

I will take a look at your link as I have been noticing more and more of a need for a 10'+ since moving back to chatty California.

FWIW, I have the predecessor to your 5001B, the 3373.  If you pull those tiny plastic feet off, hacksaw several inches off of each leg, and then glue the feet back on you can get it to fold up a lot cleaner.  Yes, you lose a little bit of height but you aren't using the 5001B to soar with the eagles, right?  It make an awesome FOB or on-stage stand which is primarily what I do these days.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 04:59:02 PM »
Thanks Pat. Ordered.  My current stand is over 15 years old and a total PITA.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 05:14:06 PM »
I ordered one too!  :cheers:

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »
So glad to have a compact option that gets up there if need be.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »
There's even a smaller one, more expensive, but collapses down to a measly 16".   Max height is 6' 3" inches.  Just add a Matthews 48" Extension pole.

It's the exact same stand as the Photek, just smaller.

Promaster LS-CT Compact Travel stand

https://www.amazon.com/Promaster-LS-CT-Compact-Travel-Light/dp/B00EO4WRNG

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 12:45:42 AM »
There's even a smaller one, more expensive, but collapses down to a measly 16".   Max height is 6' 3" inches.  Just add a Matthews 48" Extension pole.

So after a month long backorder fro B&H for the Photek stand with no arrival date in forseeable future, I cancelled that order.  Next day I ordered the smaller promaster stand and matthews baby extension that Spyder recommended.

My life is changed when it comes to mic stands.  Seriously.  This combo is amazing, compact, and super sturdy.  Still has a small footprint when fully extended.  Can fit both pieces into a backpack and combned they weigh a little under 4lbs. 

Thanks for the recommendation, so stoked.

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 03:23:03 PM »

What is the footprint of this Promaster when the legs are fully extended?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com