Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661  (Read 135398 times)

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2009, 11:23:09 AM »
I wonder if the same XLR cable was used for all the different mics tested? A loose wire and/or bad/inconsistent ground could cause prblems similar to what DATPAT describes. Try a few different XLR cables as well with the above recommended tests. Good luck, please keep us posted.
 :)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2009, 06:08:07 AM »

Has anyone tried their Kingston sdhc cards along with the firmware update?

:)

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2009, 07:08:13 AM »

Can the update be done with the SD card in the 661?  From the instructions, it appears that the card needs to be taken out first.

If so, I need to get a SDHC card reader.  My old one doesn't work with the newer cards. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »

Can the update be done with the SD card in the 661?  From the instructions, it appears that the card needs to be taken out first.

If so, I need to get a SDHC card reader.  My old one doesn't work with the newer cards. 

No, you don't have to get one to do this firmware update. I have the same problem, needing a SDHC card reader.

Just hook the 661 to your computer as you would to transfer off a file. When it recongizes the external storage device, just copy and paste the update file to the main directory of the card, not any mplang folders that are on it.

Then, use the safely remove hardware option and let the PC tell you it's ok to disconnect. Power the 661 off, then plug in the AC cord. Turn it back on. It will then ask you right on the 661 screen if you want to execute the update, and you select yes. It takes just a few min to do all this, very easy.

Good luck!!

PS: Anyone that has not done this upgrade, before you do, please hit the pause/record button and see if the pause indicator on the OLED screen flashes at the same time and same pace as the red ring light around the record button. After my update, I noticed that the pause indicator on the screen on my unit flashes at a different pace and timing than the red ring light, but I am not sure if it always did this, or just started happening after the update.

Thanks!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline Lengthwise

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2009, 09:19:35 AM »
anybody use the transcend class 6 cards with this that have been on deals lately? I have a few 8gb's floating around and am wondering if they will work when I get my unit
4/kc5/6>PSP3>MiniMe>661

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2009, 09:23:25 AM »
Yeah, Aaron, I suggest leaving the room while it is updating firmware.  Don't even look at the thing.   ;)

Exactly!  The "Observer Effect" and all... ;) 

Offline DATPAT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Gear Slut
    • Mobiltracks-Mobile A/V Recording
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »
I have used different cables and gotten the same effect. The balence is normally only sightly off.
Mic's(pairs) AKG (414's, 391's, Se-10's, )AT 853's, 4050's,BEYER MC 740,Gefell m300's, NEUMANN U89  i's, SKM-140 Set , TLM 170's, 102's, OKTAVA Mk-012 set,319's, SENNHEISER MKH-8050's, Sanken CMS-10, SOUNDFIELD SPS200,ST-250.PROJECTS LSD-2, & C1's,TELFUNKEN Ela 260 Field Set (H,C,O), Copper heads
Decks: Tascam Dr100Mk2,DR-680, HS-P82, Zoom F-8,Fostex LR-16, Mackie SDR 2496
Pre's- Onyx Satallite,  Niaint Littlebox W/OT, Apogee AD -1000, Mini -Me, CoopePSA1
 Video: JVC GV-LS2WE, panasonic FZ-1000
Playback: B& K and Adcom Power Amps and Martin Logan Electrostatic's and Tannoy nearfields
http://www.mobiltracks.net

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2009, 10:22:33 AM »
for anyone else waiting for more reviews/comments about the new firmware, I ran it at a show last night, 24/96, mic-in with phantom power, and everything went smoothly - no issues at all.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
for anyone else waiting for more reviews/comments about the new firmware, I ran it at a show last night, 24/96, mic-in with phantom power, and everything went smoothly - no issues at all.

Jason, Any chance you saw how your deck behaved with regards to this question I put out in an earlier post?

Anyone that has not done this upgrade, before you do, please hit the pause/record button and see if the pause indicator on the OLED screen flashes at the same time and same pace as the red ring light around the record button. After my update, I noticed that the pause indicator on the screen on my unit flashes at a different pace and timing than the red ring light, but I am not sure if it always did this, or just started happening after the update.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2009, 01:30:59 PM »

Jason, Any chance you saw how your deck behaved with regards to this question I put out in an earlier post?

Anyone that has not done this upgrade, before you do, please hit the pause/record button and see if the pause indicator on the OLED screen flashes at the same time and same pace as the red ring light around the record button. After my update, I noticed that the pause indicator on the screen on my unit flashes at a different pace and timing than the red ring light, but I am not sure if it always did this, or just started happening after the update.

I can check it out tonight.  I haven't noticed anything like that yet, but I basically never use the pause-record mode. (because with my 16gb card, I've got ~8 hours at 24/96, which is more than enough for the typical 2-3 hour shows I record.  So I just hit record and let it roll instead of using record-pause.  I might have 10-15 minutes of random crowd noise to delete afterwardsm but that isn't a big deal).  I'll let you know what my deck does this evening.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »

I can check it out tonight.  I haven't noticed anything like that yet, but I basically never use the pause-record mode. (because with my 16gb card, I've got ~8 hours at 24/96, which is more than enough for the typical 2-3 hour shows I record.  So I just hit record and let it roll instead of using record-pause.  I might have 10-15 minutes of random crowd noise to delete afterwardsm but that isn't a big deal).  I'll let you know what my deck does this evening.

Jason, Thanks. I also have been just starting it up at the last couple shows, skipping the pause step. With the long battery life and large capacity SD cards, no reason not to. This pause flashing thing was something I noticed after I did the firmware update and tested it to make sure it still got levels and everything. That is when I noticed a difference between the pace of flashing on the screen, and the red ring around the record button. Just not sure if that is normal or not. Later.........

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »
when in record-pause mode, the red circle around the record button, and the indicator on the OLED screen do flash at slightly different rates, so it's not just your deck (and I would say it's normal operation).  I have no idea whether or not it did this prior to the firmware update.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »
when in record-pause mode, the red circle around the record button, and the indicator on the OLED screen do flash at slightly different rates, so it's not just your deck (and I would say it's normal operation).  I have no idea whether or not it did this prior to the firmware update.

Thanks, man. That's good enough for me.

Enjoy that deck, I am really loving mine more each time I use it. And, I think the lights may be prettier than a 7XX  :-X

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »

Ordered my "concert mod" 661 today.   ;D  Can't wait to give it the festival season workout!!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2009, 09:44:03 PM »

Ordered my "concert mod" 661 today.   ;D  Can't wait to give it the festival season workout!!

How much was the shipping quote  :P ;D
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com