Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Question on s/pdif output on A/D  (Read 8250 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Question on s/pdif output on A/D
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »
AES/EBU digital audio connections tend to be reliable across far longer distances, and also at higher sampling rates, than S/P-DIF (either coax or optical) connections are, particularly if cables of appropriate characteristic impedance are used (as they should be for any cable lengths that are more than trivial). It is a balanced type of connection, and thus resists noise from interference better than S/P-DIF, which is single-ended.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:29:41 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 12:46:41 AM »
Yep.

Apogee won't admit to sourcing a shady female RCA digi connector, either.  Won't fix it (even under warranty), OR admit to either.

I think the fact that then the Mini-Me was discontinued years ago speaks for itself (not to mention their used value has plummeted over the years). I bought a Mini-me just within the first 2-3 months of being released and fully remember the debate that took place between how it would fare against the V3. Both were revolutionary 2-channel units at the time, but the V3 is still a workhorse of the hobby and the Mini-me is now an antique. There were so many design elements to the Mini-me that are just not good for what we do. I still love the sound of the MME, but can easily do without it's many inconveniences.

Not to mention is odd dimensions/size ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »
r-44, now THAT's an odd dimension/size.......but me likey  ;D  (proud half-owner of one)

Hey y'all, I want to connect to the minime......Should I get an AES/RCA SPDIF  cable made, or should I go through a Impedance attenuator first?  Boy, that really makes it long!  If I could find it, I know I have the right one.  I never could find a proper answer to this..
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »
>>> Does there exist a (small/portable) digital converter that would make this signal path possible: 

Apogee Mini-Me or Lunatec V3 > digital out via digi-coax cable > converter unit > digi out via digi-optical cable > Sony D10 or D50  ??

I know you can have the V3 modified to send a digi signal via optical, but that's not of interest at the moment.

TIA

I have a Hosa AES/EBU to optical for sale in the Yard Sale
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com