Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices New MixPre Series  (Read 108434 times)

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sound Devices New MixPre Series
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
Where did you guys buy from?

Team Kashmir (Midwest chapter) cast it's ballot for... Sweetwater
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 12:26:50 AM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »
So May 5th went to "late May"? Not that it surprises me...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
I'm still on the fence about the MixPre-6. Because of the dismal Canadian dollar, it costs over $1200.00 here.

I have a USBPre2 which I can use digital-in to a Tascam DR100mk3. But it would be great to have an all-in-one.

I realize no one has heard the Kashmir preamps, but given SD's devotion to excellence, do members here feel confident that the Kashmirs will be of equal quality to the preamps in the USBPre2?

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »
So May 5th went to "late May"? Not that it surprises me...

Is that for people that ordered right away?

I was looking last week and B+H said "Mid-May" ...now it says "End of May." I was assuming the people that ordered when it said Mid-May will get the first batch...and I guess I'm in the 2nd batch.

I'd really like to have mine for TAB on 5/31.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2017, 07:07:01 PM »
I ordered mine when they first announced them in mid April. The estimate at that point was May 5th (not that I believed that)
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline improviser

• Taperssection Newbie
    • linseywellman.com
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2017, 10:06:20 PM »
I'm with you, dogmusic.  $1200 (Canadian dollars) is a lot of money for me.  If the new Kashmir preamps sound as good as those on their other products, I'll take the plunge, but I'd rather wait for some reports.

Do you know where they will be available in Canada?  I know that Studio Economik in Montreal will be carrying them.  Looks like the prices are comparable to ordering from the USA.  Any others?

Offline hipporu

• Taperssection Regular
  • The head - this is the distance between the ears
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2017, 04:02:52 AM »
musicstore.de said today: we expect delivery in late May.
Line Audio CM3 CM4 OM1, MKH 416, MKH 406, BP4029, AT4073a, AT Pro 45,  Ferrograph (Reslo RBL), ECM-737
SD MixPre-6, SD MixPre-3II, PCM-A10, Deity HD-TX, Marantz PMD620, Sony TC-D5 ProII
SD MixPre-D, Dcode PS-T, Sound Professionals SP-Preamp, Church Audio ST-20A

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »
I'm with you, dogmusic.  $1200 (Canadian dollars) is a lot of money for me.  If the new Kashmir preamps sound as good as those on their other products, I'll take the plunge, but I'd rather wait for some reports.

Do you know where they will be available in Canada?  I know that Studio Economik in Montreal will be carrying them.  Looks like the prices are comparable to ordering from the USA.  Any others?

Yes, there are a few others: Trew Audio, Sonotechnique, RVA Canada, Audio Services Corp. Canada. They all supply the film audio industry. But the prices are all about the same as Studio Economik.

It's not their fault, of course. The loonie's in the toilet. And you're right that there's no advantage in ordering from the States.

Perhaps Paul who has been so helpful on this forum could compare the Kashmir preamps with the 6 and 7 series.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2017, 08:49:31 AM »
ordered through Location Sound in california. i figured the other places would probably go through their initial allotment . i think these orders will come out of SD in one big batch.
Anyway its just my theory .

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »

Trew Audio - they gave me free shipping on the MixPre-6 + the battery mount for the Sony-type L batteries.  Free shipping just like everyone else selling these machines, BUT I had to ask for the free shipping.

Did you order the L battery sled or did they throw it in with the purchase?

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
I have 2 questions that I have not seen answered yet. I think they would apply to many on this board. My questions are about the Mixpre6, but they could be applicable to the Mixpre3 if you follow my context.

First I would preface by stating that my current primary use of gear is recording live music audience recordings at concerts. All types venues flavors volumes etc.
Currently I mostly use a Tascam DR680MKII and a Sound Devices USB Pre 2. I record 3 separate stereo tracks using 3 different pairs of mics with different patterns. I usually have one pair Cardioid, one pair Hypercardioid and one pair Omnidirectional. I use 4 mics ( 2of the pairs) directly XLR into the Tascam and 2 mics (the final pair) direct XLR into the USB Pre 2 then digitally output into the Tascam. I do not use the mix track as a mix track because I have no desire to mix the mics together. Therefore I end up with three separate distinct recordings of the event being recorded.

So my questions in this context are as follows:
1. If I use 4 mics XLR in (P48) and then 2 additional mics via aux in (maybe plug in power, but more likely p48 mics through another preamp outputting to TRS 1/8 aux input on the MixPre6), will all 6 mice be taking advantage of the Kashmir preamps?
2. Since I do not need the mix track, is there any way to use that as another input gaining 2 more distinct track options, or if I were to guess that is a not possible, is there any way to route one of the existing stereo pairs solely to the mix tracks which I could then record at a different gain?

Just to be clear, I expect these tracks to be captured on the SD card in the deck and I would then transfer to my PC. I am not too concerned about my MixPre6 output options in the above scenario, unless I am not seeing some additional advantage to the mixpre6 outputs.

I should ask one more unrelated question: Is there any chance that there will be an android app coming to take advantage of the Bluetooth functionality for us Android users?

Thanks for any help in answering this. I'm itching to order... ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 02:35:02 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2017, 02:05:14 PM »
I use ... 2 mics (the final pair) direct XLR into the USB Pre 2 ...

Do you expect that the Kashmir preamps will equal the quality of your USB Pre 2 preamps?

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »
Hard for me to know, but I do not see why not. They are being touted as top notch from a company known for their preamps and their sound. It also appears from the literature that the pre's can handle whatever is thrown at them and that can be useful especially at the start of a live show. In addition for myself I do not like to drive my pre's to redline as to me they then sound a bit compressed. It is unnecessary in the digital age with even good pre's much less top line preamps, but everyone is entitled to record however they prefer. I like the idea of noise free gain boosts in post. I also like the idea of a smaller form factor although the setup I use is not huge nor heavy, but still, this would still be considerably smaller.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 02:35:31 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dpower

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »
@dallman... To your question #1, you ask if all 6 mics (including the two you'll run from another preamp) will take advantage of Kashmir preamps.

I interpret Aux In to be a line level input so I'd be very surprised if it there were preamps of any kind in the signal path.

Paul Isaacs will be able to confirm.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2017, 03:51:39 PM »

Trew Audio - they gave me free shipping on the MixPre-6 + the battery mount for the Sony-type L batteries.  Free shipping just like everyone else selling these machines, BUT I had to ask for the free shipping.

Did you order the L battery sled or did they throw it in with the purchase?

I ordered the L battery sled.  It was not a freebie.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com