Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 - Part 2  (Read 125251 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F8 - Part 2
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »
I also dislike the open-top pro sound bags.  I get the reasons for them being made that way, but I feel like for the price they should also include a complete top closure as an option for keeping out rain / dust, etc.

Why not save yourself a ton of money and get this cheap but awesome bag which I use for my DR-70D?  Dimensions of the 70D are very close to the F8.  No side openings, so you probably want chopped / angled XLRs.  I have since had the cables shown in the pictures below altered as such - as shown, they are chopped but with a straight-out exit. 

When this bag wears out, I'm buying another one.  It holds everything I need on a gig except mic cables and longer stereo bars.  Here's a thread I started when researching the bag with more discussion about it.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2016, 09:03:37 AM »
Great bag suggestion. Just ordered this one (was on Amazon DE's refurbished program for 20 EUR) and the smaller model to see which one fits my needs best.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #212 on: February 29, 2016, 08:24:37 AM »
I also dislike the open-top pro sound bags.  I get the reasons for them being made that way, but I feel like for the price they should also include a complete top closure as an option for keeping out rain / dust, etc.

Why not save yourself a ton of money and get this cheap but awesome bag which I use for my DR-70D?  Dimensions of the 70D are very close to the F8.  No side openings, so you probably want chopped / angled XLRs.  I have since had the cables shown in the pictures below altered as such - as shown, they are chopped but with a straight-out exit. 

When this bag wears out, I'm buying another one.  It holds everything I need on a gig except mic cables and longer stereo bars.  Here's a thread I started when researching the bag with more discussion about it.

This will be looking a lot "slicker" in a couple days  ;)
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2016, 10:38:22 PM »
got mine today! such a sweet little package. love the feel of it. really digging it so far

ordered up some cables from ted to get me lined out right. cant wait to get this baby out there and record something!

once i got my final setup in my bag with the f8. ive decided i need to downsize my bag.

im sticking with 2 small pres, so my overall size is going to be pretty small compared to my old setup.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2016, 10:43:16 PM »
Size comparison with some other gear before half of it gets sold

Offline HSM3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #215 on: March 04, 2016, 07:05:20 AM »
Hi everybody,

Just registered. I have a F8 arriving today, along with the Amazon bag voltronic likes. Thanks for the recommendation!

I'd like to get external power via a multi voltage battery charger. The Naztech 1500 keeps getting mentioned. I'm only really familiar with Anker. Is Naztech better? There are higher capacity units. Shouldn't I get the highest possible?

Next, I need to get some of Ted's awesome cables. I saw someone doing redundant power cables - hirose and other...? Is this overkill?

Any other recommendations about what I need?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #216 on: March 04, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
Sid u look around there have been a bunch of defective naztechs from Amazon. But they have been replaced I believe. The price is low right now too!

I'm also wondering about redundant power cables. I ordered a hirose setup from Ted, but should I ocd out and run both?

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #217 on: March 05, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »
Size comparison with some other gear before half of it gets sold

The size of the F8 compared to your V3 is enlightening.  The F8 is smaller than I envisioned.  Thanks for the photo!

Let me know what your impressions are of the F8 with and without the use of your other pre's.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #218 on: March 05, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »
I was delighted by the size too. Such a solid feel too. Very surprising!

Contemplating ditching the v3 too. Which would decrease my footprint drastically.

I've been looking at a new bag as my portabrace car-1 is huge. I like the sachtler eargonizer I think. Quite a price tag on it tho
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:41:45 PM by caymanreview »

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2016, 07:24:20 PM »
Do it.

The deck is great.

Offline vwmule

« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
Maybe not best place to post this but ...

Last night, recording Drive-By Truckers, I had a power issue that was triggered by someone spilling a drink on my gear. Now I have a corrupt file. It won't open in Audacity or Sound Studio but VLC (a Mac application) will play it, so the data is there.

What can I do to repair the file?

Online Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »
Last night, recording Drive-By Truckers, I had a power issue that was triggered by someone spilling a drink on my gear. Now I have a corrupt file. It won't open in Audacity or Sound Studio but VLC (a Mac application) will play it, so the data is there.

Try importing it as a raw file. In Audacity, this is under File / Import / Raw (or something similar).

Offline vwmule

« Reply #222 on: March 06, 2016, 02:42:33 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried but got static.

Offline scorsesefan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2016, 03:41:24 PM »
Maybe not best place to post this but ...

Oh man :( Making me want to put my gear in a plastic bag...

Offline vwmule

« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2016, 03:46:25 PM »
Yeah, lesson learned (again :) ... the water and ice didn't shut down the deck but as I was scrambling to prevent it from doing so, the Tekkeon battery voltage was changed and deck shut down. It does show that the F8 will save a file in event of sudden shutdown but that the file likely will be corrupt, as is mine. I'm going to revert to having backup AAs in the battery sled.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com