Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ORTF  (Read 8360 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
ORTF
« on: March 10, 2003, 09:11:28 PM »
I have a couple of questions about actual physical setup.  Say you have two akg 480's and want to set them up ortf.  Do they necessarily have to cross?  If so, how do you get one4 on top of the other without geting off of the original vertical plane?  I have always assumed you want both mics on the same plane.  If this is the case, do you raise one shock or something.  Obviously I am a little confused, and never really worried about ortf at all before.  However, with the gefell's, I want to try some different things to see what I like.  With the mbho's, I always ran din, but they were short and it was easy to setup so I never really bothered with anything else.  

Thanks for the help.  I think I will try this out at my first PAYED gig on wed.

Daryan

Tony Furtadoo freebies, PM me with an address.  Drums and Tuba from last week as well!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:ORTF
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 10:15:02 PM »
First off, the mics do not have to be on the same place, vertical distance doesn't really matter, its the horizontal distance (space between the caps) that is important. You only should need to cross them if that is what you need to get the correct spacing.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2003, 03:52:24 PM »
Creekfreek is right on the verticle image.  Not as noticable to our ears as the H-image...unless you get a lot of distance.  You can always run on mic on the top of the T-bar and one under.  The mics don't have to cross, it's the capsual reference that is the key.  short mics (ie 184's) can utilize a 3-piece T bar, while longer bodied (480's type) would need to cross to get the right orientation.
Being a paid gig, go w/ what you know produces good results OR practice much in advance.
peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 01:47:50 PM »
go to the dpa mic university page....they have a whole bunch of info about all sorts of setups :)
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/eng_pub/MicUni/Main.html
But, yes, it is more of the distance between the mics and the angle they are at:  Two first order cardioid microphones spaced 17 cm and angled 110° creating the stereo image.
peace
Phil

lucks@sonicsense.com

« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 01:48:59 PM by plucks »
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 02:38:40 PM »
must not be much goin' on over at the sonicsense forum today, eh boys?  ;)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 03:37:36 PM »
Aw, I hate seeing dead forums. Kinda like an abandoned library or house o' worship.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2003, 05:18:50 PM »
i agree.......not much goin on over at the sonicsense forum lately.......one of them lazzzzzzzzyyy dazzzzeee ;)

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2003, 07:47:27 PM »
One thing I've been wondering about.  For most stereo configs they are defined with cards.  When I use hypers with the same set up do I technicly have a different or modified config?  Should I adjust the spacing or angle?  If so what rule of thumb should I use when making adjustments?  Peace, Matt
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

DaryanLenz

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2003, 08:58:49 PM »
I was talking to Mike, a taper/brain surgeon here in Iowa about this the other night.  He runs 483's.  He said that from what he has found, that the included angle with hypers should be reduced.  He usually runs about a 60 degree ortf, with less horizontal spacing than the typical ortf.  I don't know if this is the way to go, as I am just now about to start using hypers, but any comments on this are welcome.  Another note of interest...I read on the sonic sense site that Marc Nutter uses a point at the stack method, with spacing or 8 inches.  He says this will emulate the delay time effect we hear, and still produce a stack tape sound.  Any comments?

Take er easy

Daryan Lenz

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 04:04:23 AM »
60 degrees is too small an included angle to give you a stereo mix...
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 08:19:31 AM »
With hypers, I rarely let the angle between caps go below 80 degrees.  I'll adjust angles below 90 degrees only if the room or the stack positioning warrants it.  The only thing that I will change is the spacing between the caps.  17 cm for hypers, 8 in for cards.

Then again, I run DIN at 90 degrees 95% of the time.  I usually only open up the angle when I am running closer to the stacks.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2003, 09:53:39 AM »
Agreed with what Dave said.  Hypers will reduce your stereo image given the same spacing as cards because of their narrower pickup range.  A PAS method with an 8 inch spread is like a 17cm spread (like DIN), but it is still PAS, not a stereo configuration so you will hear a delay, but lose your depth of field and soundstaging, IMHO.  We have been discussing this a bit this past week, actually, on this forum.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2003, 10:07:05 AM »
agreed on all fronts guys....the most i will ever take the included angle on my 41's to is 80 degrees, while still keeping the 17cm spacing.  i did this in cincy with real nice results!!!!
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com