Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Farthest safe dist. from stacks for aud+sbd mix?  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
Farthest safe dist. from stacks for aud+sbd mix?
« on: September 25, 2003, 02:19:16 AM »
I've taped a couple bands using the UA-5 to mix sbd through the RCAs on the back, and running the microphones through the XLRs on the front. Problem is, the board is probably a good 15' from the stage at the Metro, maybe more like 20'. Will I be able to play the same game without noticing too much phasing between sources? Or will I be forced to either find a stereo delay, or run both as mono on the two tracks and mix later? I'd put one source to MD and the other to DAT, but mixing the two is painful in post, as the MD records just a touch faster; they never match up, it's that bad.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:Farthest safe dist. from stacks for aud+sbd mix?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 03:26:03 AM »
a md will record faster than a dat???  sounds weird. but i don't have enough experience in both to know, but sounds well.. not right..  i'd say that you wouldn't have much delay if any from running it as is, sound travels fast, i'd try to test it, before the show, like if the're runnin just some music, good chance to find out i guess.  if all else fails the mono idea will work, just wont have any stereo separation and will make it sound boring.  unless you take your mono track and put only the slightest delay in each L&R channels, you can get some stereo effect i've done this with voices recording for a better than mono sound.  i'd just run mics to record that way you get some of the acoustics in the room, i always like that but thats just me, although matrixes are always really cool too..   good luck.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Tim

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 08:11:53 AM »
20 feet is fine. 30 feet it starts to get sketchy... 40 feet you need a delay.

Check the archives as there are lots of good tips on how to mix an aud tape with a sbd tape. Unless you have the two recorder's clock's sync'd you will have some drift and the two will be off, there are some simple ways to adjust the time on one of the tracks to combat this problem.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 10:32:15 AM »
did a matrix recording this past weekend where the board was 25' from stage(mics were at the sbd). had to apply a 15ms delay...ymmv

the water's clean and innocent

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 10:49:48 AM »
Why not run mics into the dat, then sbd into the MD, and then mix in cool edit pro and do the time alignment there?

Daryan

Tim

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 10:59:18 AM »
Why not run mics into the dat, then sbd into the MD, and then mix in cool edit pro and do the time alignment there?

Daryan

that's what I would do...

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 11:15:38 PM »
One more thing I discovered recently is that if the p.a. is in front of the band (not actually in front I know, but closer to the audience) the club may be further delaying the p.a. to match the on stage sound.  One of my favorite venues applies a 7ms delay to the p.a. so the natural drum sound arrives at the same time as the p.a. (drummer is ~ 7 feet back).

So straight distance isn't the only factor in the delay difference between board and p.a.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2003, 01:17:01 AM »
so is it 1ms per foot?

I thought it was more like 1ms per 10feet or something like that... ???
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2003, 11:25:16 AM »
so is it 1ms per foot?

I thought it was more like 1ms per 10feet or something like that... ???

Here's a precise calculator but if it's correct, we're talking about variations of only 2% for the ranges of temperature and humidity that we would tape in.

http://www.measure.demon.co.uk/Acoustics_Software/speed.html

Here's the thread
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=6516;start=msg71249#msg71249
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com