Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBD TAPERS...I NEED YOUR HELP>>>>>>>>>>>  (Read 8932 times)

Offline jctibbitts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Support Michigan Music: Bumpgroove.com
    • BUMP
SBD TAPERS...I NEED YOUR HELP>>>>>>>>>>>
« on: October 09, 2003, 10:15:08 AM »
i have a question.  We have been recording our shows with an audience recording with this source:

Rode Stereo Condensor Mics (we dont' have the money for schoeps) >
2 presonus Preamps >
Behringer ultagraph pro-dual 31 band EQ >
Behringer Compressor >
CD burner

that works fine for an aud recording, but at venues where we run a full SBD i want to get a good SBD recording.  i have been just going from the RCA jacks out of the board into my minidisc player...but that sounds like shit.  

some people have told me to get the NOMAD Jukebox 3.  I can't afford a DAT or a laptop right now.  should i get a D/A converter and get the NOMAD?

what do you recommend?

jct@bossys.com

Offline gonads

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re:SBD TAPERS...I NEED YOUR HELP>>>>>>>>>>>
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 10:24:59 AM »
why the compressor?
My Attitude Sucks

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 10:38:59 AM »
i don't know...we had one, decided to throw it into the source....i'm not worried about the audience recording...that's just for us to listen to ...

i am worried about gettting QUALITY SBD recordings at the venues where we run everything thru the board and it's mixed right.  

this is what the audience sounds like:  www.bumpgroove.com/music.htm

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 10:43:32 AM »
why not run rca into the cd burner?

To go with a JB3 you need to get an a/d with optical out and a jb3. Why not just buy a d8? That would be cheaper and the quality will be the same as the JB3.
My Attitude Sucks

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 10:45:36 AM »
He can't afford a DAT.

Hi JC- I'm here too. This is thetube on PT.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 10:46:18 AM »
yeah, but then i would have to spend money on the dat tapes and what not.   how much does an UA-5 cost?  couldn't i go SBD rcas > UA5 >digitally > JB3?

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 10:49:15 AM »
thetube...you're all over the boards huh?  yeah, i have a show on 10/24 that i really want to get a sick SBD recording for and be able to convert it to shn/flac easily.  the md route i have been taking isn't working well (conversion to cd isn't easy for me, and i feel i lose quality with the MD)

i can't afford a dat...i can afford a 175 jb3 on ebay right now, just want to know how much a UA-5 will cost?  and will it be the digital coverter i need so that i don't need to fuck with the recorder levels?  isn't that what digital is for?

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 10:52:17 AM »
He can't afford a DAT.

Hi JC- I'm here too. This is thetube on PT.

::)

but he can afford an a/d and a jb3?

an a/d and jb3 would be more expensive than a dat.
My Attitude Sucks

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 10:54:53 AM »
yeah, but then i would have to spend money on the dat tapes and what not.   how much does an UA-5 cost?  couldn't i go SBD rcas > UA5 >digitally > JB3?

sure you can. A digimod UA5 is $350, and a JB3 is $200...
My Attitude Sucks

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 11:05:09 AM »
well....i am not knocking DAT...it's just not the route i want to take.  I dont' want an archive of 100's of tapes (i already have that with phish tapes)...i'd rather archive our shows on HD's.  

The jb3 stores 20gigs right? that's about 15 of our shows in flac.  music123.com has the edirol ua-5 for 225...the jb3 is 175 on ebay.  

i just want to know would that work and would it be want you recommend if you weren't going DAT/laptop?  

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 11:24:23 AM »
thanks...that's a good FAQ

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2003, 11:34:18 AM »
well....i am not knocking DAT...it's just not the route i want to take.  I dont' want an archive of 100's of tapes (i already have that with phish tapes)...i'd rather archive our shows on HD's.  

The jb3 stores 20gigs right? that's about 15 of our shows in flac.  music123.com has the edirol ua-5 for 225...the jb3 is 175 on ebay.  

i just want to know would that work and would it be want you recommend if you weren't going DAT/laptop?  

that's fine. I was just pointing out that a/d->jb3 isn't really anymore economical than DAT. Also you can just reuse the dats after you transfer them into flacs.

FYI - the jb3 does not store flac's.
My Attitude Sucks

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2003, 11:38:35 AM »
yeah...i meant wav...i'd put them to flac/shn on the hd....thanks

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2003, 11:43:59 AM »
good luck!

jb3 is a sweet little recorder for sure...
My Attitude Sucks

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2003, 11:49:11 AM »
even if i did go with a d8...wouldn't i need the a/d convertor too?  i won't be able to sit with the recording the whole night to tweak the levels

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2003, 11:51:51 AM »
an a/d converter isn't going to keep you from having to futz with levels, either with a jb3 or a d8.

you can set the d8 record at a decent level and not have to touch it all night, same as if you ran a/d->jb3
My Attitude Sucks

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2003, 11:52:33 AM »
If you have control over the board mix and are really on a budget - you can just feed the JB3 directly from the analog, using line-in at 0dB and controlling your levels from the board feed (assuming you'll be feeding it a matrix out or something you can adjust independent of the house).

While the JB3 a>d is not high end, it's not a disaster either.  I've got a few analog feeds that came out fine.  Next step up would be a UA-5 or AD20 or some other external pre / a>d.  You can do the digi-mod on a UA-5 yourself to save the $.

Not sure why your board > minidisc would "sound like shit" unless you're overloading the inputs or putting a bad mix down.  Again, maybe not the ultimate, but it should be tolerable.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2003, 01:23:52 PM »
it's the levels from the board....not the md fault, but the md is a bitch to go to cd.  i don't have the deck with opt outs.  

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2003, 01:30:35 PM »
i ran rca > njb3 (i still don't have an a>d converter yet) last week at polyphonic spree.  its not done yet, but once it is it should be on bt if you'd like to hear.  it sounds great.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2003, 02:22:19 PM »
at the shelter show?  in detroit? i was there, i'd love to do a b &p for that. i don't have the bt client, nor can i DL here at work

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2003, 02:27:09 PM »
ok, "fundametally" you want the HD recorder so you don't have to be a transfer bitch.  So you either deal with the analog feed to the jb3, or you pony out the extra scrilla for a decent adc. [/problem]

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2003, 03:01:58 PM »
yep the shelter show, i got board patches for the entire thing, including starlight mints and corn mo.  i can send you copies of all of them if you'd like.

i taped at 16/48, would you like flacs at that, or would you like me downsample to 16/44 and burn audio.  if i did the flac, i'd probably just send you one flac file and the cue sheet and then you can downsample if you want.

i'm almost done with them, i'll probably have them all finished up early next week, i sent the spree show to the archive and they were gonna split it, so i don't know when that will be done, but i'd imagine they'll have it up shortly.

where ya from, i'll be going to detroit again shortly to see belle and sebastian and primus for sure, maybe for spiritualized, i don't know for sure tho.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2003, 03:06:22 PM »
first off the MD should'nt sound THAT  different from a jb3/dat (unless its realy old and using ATRAC1 or 2) ... so here is a question... because you say your using the RCA outs it would sem that your not making a seperate mix for recording, are you? A good recording mix will sometimes make the room sound bad. so first off i would say make sure your feeding a good mix. once you are sure your getting a good mix decide what to use to record it,  if you dont want to use the cd burner  (as mentioned in aud source info) i would say get a JB3 and try it for one show ... if you dont like the sound of the A>D get a Ua-5 from ebay and digi-mod it yourself ... that way you should stey under $200 for the Ua-5. About the jb3 A>D, i dont think it sounds that bad ... some people say its comprable to the d8 but. The real killer in hte jb3 is the headphone amp that paired with the A>D / D>A sounds BAD, but once you get it transfered it sounds a hell of a lot better .... hope this helps ya.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

cpclark

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2003, 03:21:51 PM »
first off the MD should'nt sound THAT  different from a jb3/dat (unless its realy old and using ATRAC1 or 2) ... so here is a question... because you say your using the RCA outs it would sem that your not making a seperate mix for recording, are you? A good recording mix will sometimes make the room sound bad. so first off i would say make sure your feeding a good mix. once you are sure your getting a good mix decide what to use to record it,  if you dont want to use the cd burner  (as mentioned in aud source info) i would say get a JB3 and try it for one show ... if you dont like the sound of the A>D get a Ua-5 from ebay and digi-mod it yourself ... that way you should stey under $200 for the Ua-5. About the jb3 A>D, i dont think it sounds that bad ... some people say its comprable to the d8 but. The real killer in hte jb3 is the headphone amp that paired with the A>D / D>A sounds BAD, but once you get it transfered it sounds a hell of a lot better .... hope this helps ya.

i ran MD for about 6 months before having enough money for my dat, and i must say that the shows i did with the MD were okay, but MD v DAT sound quality especially at 48khz is like night and day my friend, dont use MD unless you are really on a budget

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2003, 10:45:09 AM »
SpeculEd-
yeah i live in Royal Oak...i'm with the band, Bump (www.bumpgroove.com).  i'd love for you to come out to our show on 10/24...that's where i get the great SBD mix.  i could get you in for free and hook you up with other freebies.
you're gonna put the flacs on etrees archive?  if i could get it from there that'd be sick...that show blew me away

yeah i am going to primus as well.  

Thanks for all your help on this board.  i still dont' know what i am gonna do yet about a jb3/dat.  ideally i want to run a analog sbd > a/d converter > powerbook g4 (i don't even know all the programs i would need)...but that's a couple months away before i can afford that.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2003, 11:42:07 AM »
dood, you guys played at our house last year.  i lived at the chicken shack, you played the halloween show and you guys kicked ass.  i don't think i'll be able to make the 10/24 show cuz my friends are playing the same night at the temple, but i'll definitely try to catch one of the upcoming lansing shows.  i saw your last show at ricks and it was awesome.

i'll let you know when i get the shows done and up, should be some time next week.

ed

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2003, 12:19:36 PM »
+T to rid me of negativity?  i don't understand....

sweet specshul...yeah, our ricks shows usually suck though...not the best crowd for live music.  definitely need to check us out in detroit...but 11/7 we are playing the temple with smokestack...let me know if you're going, i'll get you in for free

jct@bossys.com

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2003, 12:30:13 PM »
how do i give + and - karma points?

Offline jctibbitts

• Taperssection Regular
    • BUMP
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2003, 12:31:25 PM »
gottcha thanks....

ps

i love tapers....i don't know where'd i be w/o them!

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2003, 09:28:27 PM »
we know what ptbm means but gdtstoo - grateful dead too stoned to.........o.O :wink2:

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2003, 10:18:04 PM »
thanx, still not syre what the 00 is

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2003, 11:00:39 PM »
The Other Ones (earlier version of the cover band)

o.O

GD Ticket Sales The Other Ones

thanx mokey, plus tee ya if i could

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 61 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com