Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking to take the plunge....  (Read 5394 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Looking to take the plunge....
« on: July 13, 2007, 03:52:38 PM »
Toshiba here we come!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-65-DLP-Rear-Projection-HDTV-65HM167/sem/rpsm/oid/177533/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

So my fiancee calls me up earlier and tells me: "ya know, we should just buy a big screen tv, yada yada yada"

After we spoke, we decided we really would like to purchase this tv, were both sick and tired of watching tv and movies on our 32" crt.  It's really killing our interest in sitting down to watch a movie and we figure its a good excuse to upgrade to a 65" so we can avoid the urge to hit the theater (ie. save money in the long run by not buying overpriced popcorn and soda).

What do you guys think of this Toshiba? 

I guess I'm look for some guidance, etc etc. 

tia!

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Looking to take the plunge....
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 04:03:08 PM »
best advice i can give is to go look at the TV.  I am not familiar with the unit you bought, but I bought a Sony SXRD set because in the rear projection tv arena, I thought it had the best picture available. so look, figure out what your eyes like and check out reviews on sites like www.hdtvoice.com

good luck!

Offline George

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »
best advice i can give is to go look at the TV.  I am not familiar with the unit you bought, but I bought a Sony SXRD set because in the rear projection tv arena, I thought it had the best picture available. so look, figure out what your eyes like and check out reviews on sites like www.hdtvoice.com

good luck!

We haven't purchased it yet, we keep finding good deals on it though.  Sears has it for $1999.  We definitely plan on seeing it in person before committing to it.  We're both very excited   ;D

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:25:19 PM »

good luck!

We haven't purchased it yet, we keep finding good deals on it though.  Sears has it for $1999.  We definitely plan on seeing it in person before committing to it.  We're both very excited   ;D

Remember that good deals happen all the time,  especially in the TV business.   What seems like a deal that is too good to be true is usually followed up by another deal too good to be true. 

Best advice I ever got on a TV was to go and adjust the picture myself and just look at them all.   While the signal being fed into them is not the greatest you can still get a pretty good idea of what you do and do not like.     Also remember that all of the controls (brightness, contracst, etc) are most likely all jacked up so take a minute and adjust them to suit your eyes.

Offline George

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:33:22 PM »

good luck!

Remember that good deals happen all the time,  especially in the TV business.   What seems like a deal that is too good to be true is usually followed up by another deal too good to be true. 

Best advice I ever got on a TV was to go and adjust the picture myself and just look at them all.   While the signal being fed into them is not the greatest you can still get a pretty good idea of what you do and do not like.     Also remember that all of the controls (brightness, contracst, etc) are most likely all jacked up so take a minute and adjust them to suit your eyes.

Yep, thanks for the advice on re-adjusting the levels to suit my eyes.  We're gonna head out to sears and see if they have it...

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »
when i was looking seriously at tv almost everyone "in the know" said for rear projection go with sony or samsung
for lcd go sony, samsung, sharp
for plasma go (i forget)

i remember the others because more then one person told me all you have to know is "S"
thats not to say the toshiba isn't good, just passing along the overwelming opinion i got from cc, bb, and local retailers

i agree with nick though watch them and play with them thats your best bet
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 08:55:48 PM »
Have to agree with Nick the new Sony SXRD is a winner.  I've nearly convinced my neighbor to get the 55".  I must say the JVC DILA isn't too bad either.

I used to sell tv's at Circuit City.  I was one of those guys that actually had knowledge of sets since HT is a hobby.  I basically worked for beer money (college job) and would tell the customer straight up what I thought of the set.  If they didn't like what I had to say they would just go to the girl with the big hoot's. I would never sell a Toshiba, they always came back.  Sorry, but biggest POS rear projection I've seen to date.

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 10:19:11 PM »
Have to agree with Nick the new Sony SXRD is a winner.  I've nearly convinced my neighbor to get the 55".  I must say the JVC DILA isn't too bad either.

I used to sell tv's at Circuit City.  I was one of those guys that actually had knowledge of sets since HT is a hobby.  I basically worked for beer money (college job) and would tell the customer straight up what I thought of the set.  If they didn't like what I had to say they would just go to the girl with the big hoot's. I would never sell a Toshiba, they always came back.  Sorry, but biggest POS rear projection I've seen to date.

lol.  Well, we wound up going with the Toshiba.  It looked good, fiddled with the menu and all that.  The overwhelming opinion (ie. reviews) online was that it was a fine rear projection tv.  Time will tell.  We liked what we saw.  We also bought an extended warranty.  If we don't like it we have 30 days to return it minus the restocking fee.  We'll be getting it on Sunday, so pics will follow with impressions.  Thanks for your thoughts!

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 07:56:31 AM »
i like the Sony's myself.
I own a mitsubishi 52" dlp rear projector...and its good for what I paid for it but not "the best".

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
www.avsforum.com - best resource if you're looking for a new TV. 
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 10:00:50 PM »
www.avsforum.com - best resource if you're looking for a new TV. 

oh man....i just spent over an hour reading about the toshi set I just bought, nuttiness   :D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com