Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax SX-M32 Sound?  (Read 17824 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sonosax SX-M32 Sound?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 09:29:11 PM »
Just received my SX-M32...It's an amazingly small and lightweight. I haven't had a chance to try it out. Surprised that nothing is included with the item..it was shipped in a small cardboard box like a small shoe box and inside was just the mixer...They didn't even include a user manual...Now I need a small, lightweight and reliable recorder with digital-in.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 12:00:02 AM »
Just received my SX-M32...It's an amazingly small and lightweight. I haven't had a chance to try it out. Surprised that nothing is included with the item..it was shipped in a small cardboard box like a small shoe box and inside was just the mixer...They didn't even include a user manual...Now I need a small, lightweight and reliable recorder with digital-in.

R44...............R4pro or dare I say quietly 744t...........sshh I won't tell if you won't... >:D
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 09:36:10 PM »
Congrats! Any chance you could snap a pic of it and post it so I can get a better feel for it's size?? The marantz 661 is pretty small with spdif line in.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:51:21 PM by stober »

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 09:34:04 AM »
...and also waiting eagerly to hear sound samples!

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 07:01:17 PM »
Congrats! Any chance you could snap a pic of it and post it so I can get a better feel for it's size?? The marantz 661 is pretty small with spdif line in.

Here are some pictures showing the size compared with a CD size. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I will try and record something tomorrow. I plan to do line out into a SD722 because I don't have any digital leads yet for this item. I plan to make a digital cable (miniXLR to XLR) so I can try it out with my SD722. Been told by Sonosax that the SX-M32 sound is an upgrade to their old SX-M2 preamp (and by SD/sonosax users this Sonosax sounds cleaner than sound devices).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:52:03 PM by scyue »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 11:13:29 PM »

Here are some pictures showing the size compared with a CD size. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I will try and record something tomorrow. I plan to do line out into a SD722 because I don't have any digital leads yet for this item. I plan to make a miniXLR to XLR cable so that I can also record via the digital out of the Sonosax. Been told earlier in this tread that the SX-M32 is an upgrade to their old 2 channel portable preamp and also to the sound devices preamps.

I'm surprised by the size. I was expecting something bigger.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 11:46:04 PM »
Its extremely lightweight too..
Anyone know what's the best NiMH high capacity AA battery available now? I've used 2700mAh Powerex..they are good but many die on me after 1 year. I see there are 3000mAh now but don't know if they are good cuz I know a lot of them say they are 3000mAh but don't perform as well as lower capacity ones. Hopefully it will run for 5-6 hours on a set of AAs as advertised..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:53:46 PM by scyue »

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 02:32:37 AM »
thanks for the pics..I love the size of it.  What's the price on these?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 09:57:44 AM »
thanks for the pics..I love the size of it.  What's the price on these?

like 2k, maybe 3k (usd). Somewhere in there.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »
It's actually $2400 (and change) from the two or three US distributors that sell sonosax products.  I started looking into this box when I couldn't find an available SX-M2, but have since abandoned the sonosax objective.  That doesn't mean I don't find these pictures uber-sexy and make me want one!!  The guys at sonosax claim this SX-M32 sounds better than the SX-M2 due to enhanced components.  At that price, it BETTER sound at least as good as the SX-M2, although as all SD owners know, on-board pretty lights are worth at least $1k because they make tapers look so damn cool...LOL.   ;D

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 02:11:36 PM »
It's actually $2400 (and change) from the two or three US distributors that sell sonosax products.  I started looking into this box when I couldn't find an available SX-M2, but have since abandoned the sonosax objective.  That doesn't mean I don't find these pictures uber-sexy and make me want one!!  The guys at sonosax claim this SX-M32 sounds better than the SX-M2 due to enhanced components.  At that price, it BETTER sound at least as good as the SX-M2, although as all SD owners know, on-board pretty lights are worth at least $1k because they make tapers look so damn cool...LOL.   ;D

we be blingin.  ;D

The danger in saying this is "better" than the original sx-m2 is that people are generally drawn to it for it's flavor. If the internal components are so different that it's more technologically advanced, is that better to the manufacturer, but is it better to the user who may not be hunting just for gain, but also a flavor?  :-\

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 07:21:09 AM »
I've actually just sold my SX-M2 to put some money towards one of these.
I'm just wondering which output options you went for and do they cost extra?  I'm looking to use it for both concert recording and location sound and it seemed to work for both, so I'm looking at getting one with a camera send and direct outs.

The ADC also seemed to hold up pretty well in a blind test with a number of top end converters here (they're the same as those in the SX-R4): http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-shoot-outs-sound-file-comparisons-audio-tests/424688-big-d-converter-test-session.html

Nagra VI also seemed to come up highly in a number of people's opinions

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
there r many options for outputs..i've used line out only but wil use digital out soon i hope. I realize that i can change the internal jumpers frm aes3 to spdif without making or buying an external transformer (110 to 75 ohm). And there r other options too like recording in 192khz etc but u have to know where the jumpers are inside. Im stil waiting for sonosax to email me. I contacted them a few weeks ago but they hav not told me yet. They either dont want to tel me or they r too lazy to reply. I dont understand the way they work cuz in us customer service is important but they seem to take a long time on everything. Its an excellent product but their customer service sucks if u need help. So now im stuck with aes3 until they tel me how to change the jumpers to spdif.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:30:49 AM by scyue »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
http://www.sonosax.ch/mixers/sxm32/sx-m32-umeng.pdf is the users manual and the block diagrams are on page 22 but in my quick glance I didn't see any mention of where the jumpers were.

< looks like you'll need to trace the wires from the AES out back to the A>D and the jumper should be very close to the converter >
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:40:10 AM by flipp »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »
http://www.sonosax.ch/mixers/sxm32/sx-m32-umeng.pdf is the users manual and the block diagrams are on page 22 but in my quick glance I didn't see any mention of where the jumpers were.

< looks like you'll need to trace the wires from the AES out back to the A>D and the jumper should be very close to the converter >

I thought about the same thing.

Out of curiosity, I wonder if it's labeled on the inside. Probably not, but an interesting idea. I wonder if they are still on holiday.  :-\

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com