Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nakamichi ZX-7 Manuel Azimuth Adjustment  (Read 5901 times)

Offline ChicagoBlues

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Nakamichi ZX-7 Manuel Azimuth Adjustment
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:32:07 PM »
I have a Nakamichi ZX-7 and want to adjust the azimuth for some masters as I play them back. If someone can tell me how to do it I would appreciate it. I don't have the owners manual.

Thanks

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nakamichi ZX-7 Manuel Azimuth Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:33:14 AM »
Insert tape > Push Play > Turn knob > Use your ears - its very obvious when the tape is on track...listen to the high-end.

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:31:44 AM »
Insert tape > Push Play > Turn knob > Use your ears - its very obvious when the tape is on track...listen to the high-end.

Bad advice...... if you don't know which screw to adjust. There's four of them on the head block.....

@ OP

Have you done a search on this forum already? This has been discussed several times. F.e. here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=131506.0

To quote myself:

On three head Naks the PB azimuth adjustment screw is the white one on the far right, NOT the one directly below the head which is for height adjustment.

Some other points:

1. Mark the original position of the screw before adjusting it for the first time.

2. Turn the screw slowly and do not turn the screw more than half a turn in one direction (+/- 180 °)....most of the time the "sweet spot" is well within this range, if the tape was made on a reasonably well aligned deck it may just a few small steps from center. Do never turn the screw completely to the end of it's range. This may wreck the adjustment mechanism. 

3. Use a non-magnetic or even better a plastic screwdriver.

runonce

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 10:44:58 AM »

Bad advice...... if you don't know which screw to adjust. There's four of them on the head block.....

@ OP

Have you done a search on this forum already? This has been discussed several times. F.e. here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=131506.0

To quote myself:

On three head Naks the PB azimuth adjustment screw is the white one on the far right, NOT the one directly below the head which is for height adjustment.

Some other points:

1. Mark the original position of the screw before adjusting it for the first time.

2. Turn the screw slowly and do not turn the screw more than half a turn in one direction (+/- 180 °)....most of the time the "sweet spot" is well within this range, if the tape was made on a reasonably well aligned deck it may just a few small steps from center. Do never turn the screw completely to the end of it's range. This may wreck the adjustment mechanism. 

3. Use a non-magnetic or even better a plastic screwdriver.

"Knob"...not suggesting taking a hack at the screws.

I think this is one of the models with a manual azimuth adjust feature. i.e. I think there's a knob or button for azimuth on this model.

http://www.cassettedeck.org/modelspage.jsp?product=3261

refers to it as "semi-automatic azimuth"

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:57:47 AM by runonce »

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
The ZX-7/9 has RECORD head az adjustment via the knob on the front....useless for playing back pre-recorded tapes.

Naks with playback head az adj. on the front panel:

CD-1
DR-1
CR-7

So he's got to use the screwdriver unless he gets one of the decks above.

runonce

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »
The ZX-7/9 has RECORD head az adjustment via the knob on the front....useless for playing back pre-recorded tapes.

Naks with playback head az adj. on the front panel:

CD-1
DR-1
CR-7

So he's got to use the screwdriver unless he gets one of the decks above.

Gotcha - funny I was just recalling having one of these and making that exact discovery. Must have been thinking CR7...sorry.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com