Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new HD tv advice?  (Read 10185 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: new HD tv advice?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 03:02:12 PM »
Which ever set you decide on make sure you Google for the Service Codes for the tv.  There are a whole shit-ton of options as far as tuning is concerned on most televisions.  Usually the service code is some key pattern on the remote that gets you to the service menus.

If you are looking for a great deal on plasma's I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews (first-hand and internet reviews) on the new Dell's.  Their 50" can be had for $3000 and is expected to drop in the next 2 months.

While this is true and I thought about mentioning this, I figured I should leave it out.  Messing with these codes can void your warranty and you can also really mess up the picture.  I would suggest you find an ISF certified person to make such adjustments.  I was able to cure the red push in my Mits, but that was all I did.  Contrast, brightness, hue and chroma are the only things I would adjust and can be done in regular menu.  Getting Digital Video essentials is also recommended.

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 03:03:34 PM »
to get quality calibration isf had to put a lens in my sony to get true blacks.  they really nailed it with a new lens, but without it- id say the same as scott.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 06:29:49 PM »
Scott, one more question about DLP.  i keep reading that the "screened door effect" potential is greater in a DLP than in a LCD (though i believe it's possible in both).  any thoughts on this?

gracias.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 06:40:42 PM »
Actually, I've found LCD to be worse, but it has gotten better over the years.  It all depends on how far your seeting is.  If you are 2-3x screen width you should be fine.  It may show little on various bright white text, but it's not nearly as bad as the blured running back sprinting down the sideline!

Best thing you can do is go check them all out.  I would suggest looking at mom and pop theater places as big box stores crank the shit out of the brightness to make it look great under lights.  Best thing to do is put the brightness and contrast back down to 50% or so at Best Buy.  If you want to be a real pain, take a THX movie with you and ask to see the DVD on the screen.  Put this THX movie in and go throught the video optimize option and adjust right there.  Really pisses the sales guy off, but it is your $2500!

sc

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 09:30:03 PM »
well said all around, Scott, thanks a bunch. 

+t in another 12!!

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 07:39:25 AM »
I was alos looking at the Sony 50" last weekend & almost bought it. I am having a tough time letting go of my Toshiba 36" Cinema Grand HDTV. The picture is incredible but the wife wants a thinner set so we can place it elsewhere in the room. Who am I to argue with a wife who says maybe we should get a plasma so we can hang it on the wall?

The problem is that we really can't get a plasma, I don't want to spend more than $2500 for a TV, microphones-yes, TV-no  ;D We were set shopping last weekend & decided we can't purchase from Best Buy, you can't even see the sets in that place, too crowded. I am still leaning towards the Sony 50" but need to see other sets.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 08:11:26 AM »
Also, what are some good forums to check out regarding sets?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 08:40:22 AM »
We were set shopping last weekend & decided we can't purchase from Best Buy, you can't even see the sets in that place, too crowded. I am still leaning towards the Sony 50" but need to see other sets.

The problem is that we really can't get a plasma, I don't want to spend more than $2500 for a TV, microphones-yes, TV-no  ;D  LOL!

well said...my thoughts exactly.  best buy really turned me off also.  i found myself bumping into people, shelves, etc.  something to be said about a mom & pop or high-end store, maybe not to buy but to at least evaluate.  plus, i've learned these big shelf places crank the contrast and displays to the max so they "stand out" on the showroom floor.  what you see in the store is way different than what you'll see at home. at least CC had one of those "private" rooms designed like a living room/home theater.  that's where I saw the Hitachi 50VF820 and was really captivated by it.  i just can't seem to find enough feedback on this 50VF820 though.  seems last years models had problems with smudging and blotching, which were supposed to be addressed by this new Ultravision line.  who knows...but $2049.99 on sale now is very tempting (but is there a reason for the big sale?  I dunno).

budgetwise, i really don't want to go over $2500 either.  but it's funny that i keep coming back to the Sony KDF-E50A10 ... i've just read so many good things about it (Consumer Reports, AV Forums, etc. all speak highly of it).  Going back to CC this morning to take another look at these two sets (KDF-E50A10 is at $2249.99 now at CC).

oh yeah, some good forums that I've found helpful are:
http://www.avsforum.com
http://www.highdefforum.com/index.php?
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/2.html

good luck! +

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 08:43:27 AM »
Check out Tweeter, that's where I found the Sony. They had it in a private room similar to my living room & it allowed us to sit in chairs the same distance as we would at home & really evaluate the picture. All these pictures unfotunately still do not compare to a QUALITY tube picture  :(

I will check the Hitachi as well, thanks for the tip.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 08:49:12 AM »
Also, while the Sony had great reviews it does not have PIP, doesn't matter to me b/c I never use it but still something worth mentioning.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 09:38:24 AM »
I have a component input on my TV.  Can I run HD into it?  Also I have my DVD player in that input now, is there a splitter or something to run both?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 09:44:17 AM »
www.avsforum.com    best forum for display devices.  The sony does seem to get decent reviews, but again I'm partial to DLP technology.

You can run HD into component input.  If you have a receiver with component switching it is for multiple component devices.  However, if your tv only has 1 component in I find it hard to believe it is HD ready. 

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 09:44:31 AM »
I was alos looking at the Sony 50" last weekend & almost bought it. I am having a tough time letting go of my Toshiba 36" Cinema Grand HDTV. The picture is incredible but the wife wants a thinner set so we can place it elsewhere in the room. Who am I to argue with a wife who says maybe we should get a plasma so we can hang it on the wall?

The problem is that we really can't get a plasma, I don't want to spend more than $2500 for a TV, microphones-yes, TV-no  ;D We were set shopping last weekend & decided we can't purchase from Best Buy, you can't even see the sets in that place, too crowded. I am still leaning towards the Sony 50" but need to see other sets.

Carl,

I'll urge you to run down to Costco and check out that Vizio 50" plasma for $2499.  I know it's slightly beyond your budget (after tax), but the Costco return policy is basically like an extended warranty and that's worth it's weight in gold.  The picture is fantastic and very comparable to the high end Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas.  Chances are, the Costco has one of these setup next to a 'name' brand, so you could see for yourself.  Another great thing about the Vizio is that it has a holy ton of inputs...2 HDMI, 2 component, 2 analog (s-video or composite) and an RGB input.  Oh yeah, it does Picture in Picture as well as picture by picture (divides the screen into two).  I've used that to watch two HD football games on Sunday

I moved from a 32" Sony Wega to the Vizio and am very happy.  There was no way I was going to get a projection set of any kind.  IMO, that would be a step down.

For great reviews (from picky people like ourselves)  ;D check out www.avsforum.com   There is probably in depth reviews of every set you can think of on there.

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005, 12:26:11 PM »
i chose this one over more expensive samsung and mitsubishi dlp sets (thought the picture was the same or better).  i love it

http://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptv/panasonic-pt50dl54.html

it should be between 2k and 2500 these days

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 09:22:38 PM »
but it's funny that i keep coming back to the Sony KDF-E50A10 ... i've just read so many good things about it (Consumer Reports, AV Forums, etc. all speak highly of it).  Going back to CC this morning to take another look at these two sets (KDF-E50A10 is at $2249.99 now at CC).

I mentioned the Sony KDF-E55A20 in my original post.  I haven't compared the E50A10 to it, but my E55A20 does everything I need it to do like I want it to.  Great DVD display from Onkyo SP-1000 components, great HD cable component display.  I had been set on the Sony 55XS955 and sort of worried about taking home the E55A20 after so much research on the XS, but I haven't been disappointed in the least.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com