Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24-bit on the JB3  (Read 11343 times)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 24-bit on the JB3
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 08:31:27 PM »

ppl record 24 bit to a laptop hard drive which is no more that what the jb3 is.

While that's true, most laptop hds spin faster tan 4200rpm, which I seem to recall is the speed of the stock drive in a JB3. Replace it with a faster drive and you may have a viable option for 24 bit if the firmware ever becomes available.

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2005, 02:28:43 AM »
I'd be worried about the recording time length. Hopefully the JB3 firmware will do auto .wav splits lasting more than 3 hrs. I seem to remember a 3 hr time limit on the current JB3. I'll have to reread the M-Audio Flash but I fear I won't be able to find a flash card that can handle a 24/96. 3 hour, uncut show. $$$ All in due time.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2005, 10:23:25 AM »
While that's true, most laptop hds spin faster tan 4200rpm,

Not true.  For power, heat, and cost reasons, almost all laptops use a 4200rpm drive unless special ordered.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2005, 10:34:38 AM »
While that's true, most laptop hds spin faster tan 4200rpm,

Not true.  For power, heat, and cost reasons, almost all laptops use a 4200rpm drive unless special ordered.

Guess I should thank the IT and purchasing departments at work since all three laptops I've had have had 5400 rpm Fujitsu drives. I figured that was pretty much standard. Didn't know I had it so good.

Offline dano420

• Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2005, 10:59:00 AM »
I use the PDA setup right now to record 24/48 onto the 5gb PC Card. The drive only spins at 3990 rpm and it writes the 24/48 data perfectly at real-time creation. There shouldn't be any issues at all doing 24/48 to the drive that's in the JB3. Now 24/96 would be an issue. And yes, the microtrack would be the perfect device but there's a limitation on the media size and cost. At $150 for the JB3 to do 24/48 with 20gb of space, it would be a dream! As for power and heat, it may produce a wee bit more heat but not much more power, if any (if you use the stock drive). And for playing back 24-bit files, 24/48 should play back fine while there may be some issues/lag with the 24/96 files. Here's a link to contact the Creative developer group: http://developer.creative.com/contactus/feedback.asp?where=us

Send many requests to update the firmware and they may do it.

Dan

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2005, 11:17:10 AM »
A 4200rpm drive can write 24/96 just fine, and can do 24/192 as well. 
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2005, 12:31:47 PM »
I sent an email, I don't think any of us will get anywhere with these requests but it can't hurt
to ask the source first.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 01:40:36 PM »
what did you say in your email?  i'd send one but don't really know what to say, and i doubt "please make the jb3 record 24 bit files digitally" would work.  there's a large amount of jb3 tapers, i bet if we had a general email we could individually spice up if needed would be great.  not to mention, adding this info to dat-heads and getting everyone on there to send an email as well.  if we get enuf people involved, they might actually think about it.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2005, 02:02:21 PM »
how about something like this:

Dear Developers at Creative,

As you may or may not be aware, your Nomad Jukebox 3 players have found themselves a niche within the live audio recording community (we call ourselves "tapers").  The digital optical input, and ability to record CD quality (16-bit, 44.1/48kHz WAV), not to mention 3 hour time limit and quick data transfers were exactly what this group needed to replace a dying technology - DAT.

In the past few years, as high-resolution recording and playback has become more attainable, we now search for the ability to record up to 24-bit, 96/192kHz in WAV format.  Through our extensive testing and discovery with the JB3, we have found it to be able to playback these higher resolution files, indicating the capability of these machines is greater than we thought.  Opening one of them up, one "taper" notes that the ADC chip (http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/UDA1380.html) actually supports 24-bit resolution, and up to 48kHz sample rate.  This is typically plenty for our needs, as the upgrade from 16 to 24-bit is more noticeable in many circumstances.

The only obstacle in tapping into the full 24-bit capabilities of the JB3 is the firmware, which none of us have experience with.  Is it possible that the firmware of the JB3 can be modified to allow 24-bit files to be written to disk?

Thank you for your time,
[your name]

edit: spelling and "taper" clarification ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 02:44:58 PM by Simp-Dawg »
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2005, 02:41:25 PM »
excellent, +t simpy

thats exactly what we needed.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline dano420

• Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 02:55:51 PM »
Here's what I initially sent them:

I would like to know if you could revise the firmware for the Nomad Jukebox 3 to
support 24-bit audio input. After looking at the datasheet for the UDA1380TT ADC/DAC
audio chip that is in the Jukebox 3, it does support 24-bit audio input at a maximum
of 48khz sample rate. I know that it will not support 24-bit at 96khz but at least
24-bit at 48khz would be great. There are a LOT of people that would greatly
appreciate this change.

(I know the wording could have been better - like the above post- great job!)

This is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting Creative Technical Support.; we appreciate the
opportunity to assist you.

Regarding your issue here, I understand that you want to allow the
Jukebox 3 player to play up to 24Bit at 96khz sampling rate. You may
want to do a feedback regarding this:

http://developer.creative.com/contactus/feedback.asp?where=us

Thank you for your feedback. If you need further assistance, do to get
back to us and we will be glad to help you. Have a nice day!

For faster service please reply with previous correspondence when
replying to this email.

So we need to make sure that they know we want the firmware change for RECORDING and not just playback.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2005, 07:56:27 PM »
This product has been out of production for quite a while.  I would be blown away if they put a single hour of development time into it.
Getting them to release source code is probably the only shot we have at making changes.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2005, 08:18:06 PM »
This product has been out of production for quite a while.  I would be blown away if they put a single hour of development time into it.
Getting them to release source code is probably the only shot we have at making changes.

agreed.  I think the only way we'd see it (if it is possible) is if someone taper-minded got ahold of the source code to work with.  I really don't think Creative will put any effort into it.
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 01:00:35 AM »
Maybe we should let them know the magnitude of the taper market and encourage them to make the next version of there hdd format players with optical input and recording options similar to the jb3.  This wouldn't effect the cost to them that much and it would get them enough sales from us to make up that cost anyway.  It could be smaller than the jb3 and a hell of a lot cheaper than the flash tracker and a 4 or 8 gb cf card.  Or a nice PDA and a big flash card.

I dunno...just a thought
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 01:28:49 AM »
Maybe we should let them know the magnitude of the taper market

The "taper market" is downright miniscule compared to their target consumer base and will never drive any company's product decisions.  We got lucky with the JB3, nothing more.  All the gear we use is targeted towards other, broader markets - it just happens to suit our purposes.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com