Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for a new recorder  (Read 4345 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Looking for a new recorder
« on: October 17, 2015, 05:31:06 AM »
Two months ago I lost my Tascam DR-05, and maybe it was a sign to look for a better recorder... besides being a bummer!

Anyway, everyone has their favorites, so this is not a discussion I'm willing to start. Things I want are:

1) Good quality, usable XLR mic preamps.
2) At least 96KHz wav recording.
3) Reliability, as some Tascam models seem to have hum with DSLR cameras (DR-60 and DR-70)
4) Price is an issue, of course, so higher priced types (>$300) are out

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Looking for a new recorder
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »
That hum with the 60d can prob be fixed
I almost sent mine back when I first got it because of this but once I got my camcorder and recorder working together it is been nothing but sweet.
In my case the camera gain needed to be turned wayyyyy down vs my old set up
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »
Why did you almost sent your back?

In my case I do not have a 60 or 70, but I did like their design. Then I read about the hum problem, commented by many users.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »
Why did you almost sent your back?

In my case I do not have a 60 or 70, but I did like their design. Then I read about the hum problem, commented by many users.
the hum

It was ONLY in the recordings feed to my camcorder, not in the actual 60d recordings
I was stumped for about two weeks of testing and couldn't figure out why I could feed me camcorder a signal from two other devices perfect but not the 60d
Finally figured it out and basically the 60d signal was (for lack of a better term) weaker or softer and you would get a hum/static sound on the camcorder.
Adjusted the camcorders input level and have not had an issue since.
Ie signal to noise ratio I suspect
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 02:06:58 PM by willndmb »
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 07:42:18 PM »
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what kind (brand or model) camcorder had this problem? I have this problem all the time with Canon Vixia camcorders unless they are running on batteries. I have used every possible trick, including isolation transformers, and as long as the camcorder was running from its AC supply (even though that has a DC output), the hum was there at some level.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »
I'm a 60d owner with a canon hf500 vixia camcorder.  What hum?  I initially had an issue due to mismatched gain between the camcorder and the 60d, but have not experienced hum. 

Offline willndmb

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 09:56:50 PM »
Canon here too
R300 or something like that
Dropped my gain down to like 30 on the camera and upped it on the 60d - good to go

2manyrocks, I think the issue is the same. I described it more as a hiss or static but others that listened to my tests called it a hum so that's why I think we are talking about the same thing

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 07:28:37 AM »
Well, the hum problem in the 60D was something that seemed to happen, at least with Canon cameras, when they were physically attached or when they used the same supply.

It was reported even by dealers, like Trew Audio.

For me it looked like a ground loop, which I suppose most  people know what it is on this forum.

I'm not sure if it happened on other cameras.

Further reports seemed to show that it was not solved in the 70D, which I thought had been released to bury the glitch.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 07:59:22 AM »
Well, the hum problem in the 60D was something that seemed to happen, at least with Canon cameras, when they were physically attached or when they used the same supply.

It was reported even by dealers, like Trew Audio.

For me it looked like a ground loop, which I suppose most  people know what it is on this forum.

I'm not sure if it happened on other cameras.

Further reports seemed to show that it was not solved in the 70D, which I thought had been released to bury the glitch.
what camera are you using?
Keep in mind b&h has a 30 day return policy so you can always run tests and send it back if it doesn't work

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
My camera is a Blackmagic Pocket, and I don't plan to screw the recorder to it, whichever it is.

As I said, I'm looking for low noise XLR mic preamps, and I wonder which has the best among the affordable recorders.

From what I've heard from people that used the 60D, the preamps are not as low noise as they could be.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 01:48:23 PM »
I use a 60d and find the preamps comparable to my  external good quality pre. I have had zero issues using the built in pres for recording live music and recorded a spoken word event with a respectful quiet audience...the room noise surpassed the self noise no problem at all. Best value for the money. I paid $150 shipped, second hand but new in box.

Click on the link in my signature line to listen to some shows recorded with the 60d preamps.

I highly recommend this recorder although the form factor takes some getting used to...no problems when feeding my Canon r600 after I got the gain structure sorted out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:52:28 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 02:16:22 PM »
My camera is a Blackmagic Pocket, and I don't plan to screw the recorder to it, whichever it is.

As I said, I'm looking for low noise XLR mic preamps, and I wonder which has the best among the affordable recorders.

From what I've heard from people that used the 60D, the preamps are not as low noise as they could be.

Tascam says the 60dmkii has improved preamps over the 60d.   Are those articles referring to the 60d when it was first released or the current model? 

I also own the Dr-05, and either of the 60ds would be a step up from the 05 at least in terms of getting two xlr inputs with phantom power.  The 70d was the hot item here until recently when the issue of card compatibility cropped up.  The 60d still has better physical controls for camera work, IMO, including the fact that channels 3/4 are ganged together.   

Offline willndmb

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 07:11:52 PM »
Agree with good and rocks
My testing vs littlebox/tb > m10 was so minimal that I stopped using the littlebox
In fairness the littlebox sound I did like a little better but not enought to keep in in my bag full time.

The options for camera and other line out options is far superior on the 60 vs 70
70 plus are...
form factor (which overall cubic inch is bigger then the 60)
4 xlr
Higher capacity cards (if you can get one that works correctly)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 07:27:19 AM »
Sorry, which one has 4 XLR?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 08:48:32 AM »
70d.

there's thread five sections long on the 70d that has probably been the most active thread here since the 70d was released. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com