Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: maximum video clip length question  (Read 5525 times)

Offline jnorman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
maximum video clip length question
« on: July 10, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »
hi guys - i have a lumix ZS7 which shoots continuous video clips until the memory card is full - it uses AVCHD Lite format.

i am looking for a new camera that has this same capability - i need to be able to set it up and let it video entire sets without stopping.  most cameras seem to have a 29 minute clip length maximum, even in AVCHD mode, except for the panasonics.  i have asked on other forums about the clip length of the sony HX20v - the manual says 29 minutes in default mode - i finally called Sony USA support and asked them, and they said in AVCHD mode, it sould shoot video until the memory card was full.  then i called B&H photo and that guy said it would only shoot 29 minutes.  i am confused...

is there anyone here who can confirm, from personal experience, whehter the sony HX20v or HX9v or HX50v will actually shoot continuous video (longer than 29 minutes) in AVCHD mode? 

thanks.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
Re: maximum video clip length question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
Hx9V has a 29 minute limit
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:47:03 AM »
Usually if the camera does 720p max = unlimited, but if it does 1080p max = 30 minutes. You could get a GoPro and it can run until the battery dies, but no zooming (just 3 focal lengths). It can even run off external power. Or get a real camcorder.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline jnorman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »
chris - I thought the gopro only had a single fixed UWA focal length.  I don't even see and accessory lenses for it on their website.  are you talking about aftermarket adapters, or am I missing something?

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:46:41 PM »
It had 3 settings inside the menu that effect the focal distance. Wide, Medium and Narrow. (Zoomed out - In). It is not a digital zoom however.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline phanophish

• Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 12:32:07 AM »
interestingly this is a purely regulatory restriction....

That's exactly correct. A US vs EU camera is likely identical with just a different firmware which leads me to believe, if you have enough time you can figure out how to hack it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »
There are other than regulatory issues related to sensor heat and max file size. One of the main points of AVCHD is to support spanning and this is implemented well in many Panasonic cams.

So, OP, why not get another Panasonic? The new G6 is looking like a winner, the FZ200 seems to have a lot going for it. Not all the cams have unlimited shot length, unfortunately, like the LX7 which would be hard to resist except for the 30 minute limit.

Fran

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 12:09:49 AM »
There are other than regulatory issues related to sensor heat and max file size. One of the main points of AVCHD is to support spanning and this is implemented well in many Panasonic cams.

So, OP, why not get another Panasonic? The new G6 is looking like a winner, the FZ200 seems to have a lot going for it. Not all the cams have unlimited shot length, unfortunately, like the LX7 which would be hard to resist except for the 30 minute limit.

A had a couple of Panasonics (ZS7 and one other - can't remember the model #).  Both went out of focus for a few seconds every time I zoomed in/out.  It was really annoying.  I got a Sony HX9V and have never had that problem since.

Do these newer model Panasonics have a problem with the focus going out during zoom in/out?
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline fguidry

• Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
I almost exclusively shoot myself, so I don't have any experience with auto-focus during zooming. Reviews of the latest generation of G series Panasonics describe the autofocus as fast and solid. This review of the FZ200 does a bit of video with autofocus and gives it a thumbs-up: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ200/

Fran

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com