Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SECRET soundboard patch...  (Read 20624 times)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
SECRET soundboard patch...
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »
I was recording a local bluegrass group last night - there was another taper - a newbie...being the senior taper - I let him have the RCA outs. (plus the mixer was on the opposite side of the stage)

Then it dawned on me - they were using powered speakers - that have an output (for chaining pairs together)...grabbed an XLR cable...POW! - soundboard feed right at my table.

Something to keep in mind...only good for mono mixes - but there are a lot of those!

Not really a secret - but something I hadn't thought of...

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: SECRET soundboard patch...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:38:15 AM »
I have done this often when running my mics and gear stage lip.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:28:08 AM »
I've had SBD feed for opening acts where I wasn't allowed to take the SBD for the main act.  Left the deck plugged in and turned the 744T on stealth mode, taking the SBD while it looked like the deck was off. 

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »
I've had SBD feed for opening acts where I wasn't allowed to take the SBD for the main act.  Left the deck plugged in and turned the 744T on stealth mode, taking the SBD while it looked like the deck was off.

Hopefully you keep the resulting recording to yourself.

So...having a little trouble understanding this. So the venue has speakers with amps in them (sort of like computer speakers) with a line out on them?

I'll have to investigate this at one of my very small local clubs. I'd like to run on stage and get a board feed as it gets a little chatty out where I can run a stand. I've thought about REALLY long cables to either run the board feed to the recorder with mics on stage or vice versa.

Thanks for the tip OP!
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »
Example:

GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »

Yeah definitely never let the recording out

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »

So...having a little trouble understanding this. So the venue has speakers with amps in them (sort of like computer speakers) with a line out on them?

I'll have to investigate this at one of my very small local clubs. I'd like to run on stage and get a board feed as it gets a little chatty out where I can run a stand. I've thought about REALLY long cables to either run the board feed to the recorder with mics on stage or vice versa.

Thanks for the tip OP!
it will only work with powered speakers such as jbl eon
Passive speakers, powered via external amp will not have the daisy chain out option.
I find smaller acts/venues have powered speakers while larger ones have passive but that could just be me
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
This is interesting news.  I record a friends band occasionally and the have the JBL Eon speakers.  I will try this next time just to see how I can mix it in with my mics.  Thanks for the tip!
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »
Just remember that the signal you get probably won't be the same as a soundboard out, generally speaking the signal will have passed through lots of processing for the house sound, most notably the audio will have gone through a house eq which will probably alter the sound in a way you won't want, it will probably also be compressed in some fashion and will most likely have gone through a crossover stage as well, so the mix could be missing the low end.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:30:19 PM by jbosco »
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »
Just remember that the signal you get probably won't be the same as a soundboard out, generally speaking the signal will have passed through lots of processing for the house sound, most notably the audio will have one through a house eq which will probably alter the sound in a way you won't want, it will probably also be compressed in some fashion and will most likely have gone through a crossover stage as well, so the mix could be missing the low end.

It's the exact same signal that the soundboard sends to the speakers...i.e. "the house sound"

And - we're talking about bar/club band type setups with PA speaker on stick type rigs (and mixers with built in effects)...generally they're going board > speakers(mono)...nothing elaborate in between.

Even if a band is running stereo - the signals are balanced so...2 XLRs...

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 08:33:01 PM »

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:06:08 PM »
Jbosco is right here. While it may work well and still sound terrific, this is a less than ideal solution. Unless there are only two speakers on sticks, there will be a crossover/processor handling the signal to the stacks and subs. Plus the signal will certainly pass through some sort of house eq, and/or compressor. Patching directly out of the board or using turn-arounds on a house snake line would bypass all of that. Someone else incorrectly mentioned that only "powered" systems will pass a signal. Any sort of monitor with a thru pass feature will work, it will just pass what it was sent down the line.

Any good taper wanting to make stage tapes, should carry a pair of cable turn-arounds in their bag. But, even better is to be friendly with your resident sound engineer and have them run your stage mics through the house snake and back to the board, where you bypass the board completely and power them down the snake with your favorite preamps, while also taking his 2-mix (pre-crossover/room processing)
Cheers, Phil

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 10:50:21 PM »
Just remember that the signal you get probably won't be the same as a soundboard out, generally speaking the signal will have passed through lots of processing for the house sound, most notably the audio will have gone through a house eq which will probably alter the sound in a way you won't want, it will probably also be compressed in some fashion and will most likely have gone through a crossover stage as well, so the mix could be missing the low end.

It's the exact same signal that the soundboard sends to the speakers...i.e. "the house sound"

And that's the problem, even if there is no compressor or crossover in the signal chain, I'm sure it's been equalized to make it sound good in the room, have you ever heard what a PA sounds like in a room when the system eq is "flat", generally speaking it won't sound very good, this will alter the sound in a way that probably won't sound good as opposed to taking the line out from the board which bypasses all the system processing.  Trust me it's what I did for a living for over 20 years.

---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 11:11:59 PM »

And that's the problem, even if there is no compressor or crossover in the signal chain, I'm sure it's been equalized to make it sound good in the room, have you ever heard what a PA sounds like in a room when the system eq is "flat", generally speaking it won't sound very good, this will alter the sound in a way that probably won't sound good as opposed to taking the line out from the board which bypasses all the system processing.  Trust me it's what I did for a living for over 20 years.

This was in restaurant - I was sitting right in front of the band...there was no "lots of processing" - nor was there a "house eq" - and further more - there is no "crossover" in play...

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 11:16:07 PM »
Jbosco is right here. While it may work well and still sound terrific, this is a less than ideal solution.

Isn't that the whole point of my post...?

I let the other guy have the RCAs...I was making the best of it...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com