Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853 vs CA-14 card taste test  (Read 11658 times)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
AT853 vs CA-14 card taste test
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:43:37 AM »
I recently picked up some AT853 cardioid mics to serve as an alternative/backup to my CA-14 cards, and finally had the chance this week to run a side-by-side comparison:

https://soundcloud.com/nulldogmas/sets/cardioid-mic-comparison

Both mics were run in a similar configuration (about 7 inches apart, maybe 10-20 degrees off of parallel) from the front of the board in a fairly echoey room (Bell House in Brooklyn). The AT853s were raised a couple of feet higher, but that shouldn't matter much aside from avoiding audience chatter, of which there isn't any here.

I have my thoughts on the results, but would like to hear others' first.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: AT853 vs CA-14 card taste test
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:08:49 AM »
What other equipment was involved? Battery box/preamp/recorders? I definitely have a preference, but I'd like to know more about other factors, if any.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »
The level of difference is surprising. The CA-14 is both much boomier but also, therefore, seems a bit "warmer" and "fuller" than the AT853. I guess I'd give a slight edge to the AT853, as I just prefer the clearer/cleaner tone of it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 11:49:22 AM »
The level of difference is surprising. The CA-14 is both much boomier but also, therefore, seems a bit "warmer" and "fuller" than the AT853. I guess I'd give a slight edge to the AT853, as I just prefer the clearer/cleaner tone of it.

^ This. Wish my 853's had a top like these......could be the PA though.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »
AT853s were SP-SPSB-1 battery box into M10 (mic in) at 24/48. CA-14s were Ugly battery box into iRiver 320 at 16/44.1. Both were ultimately converted to 16/44.1 before upload.

I tend to agree with AJ: It's a matter of taste, with the AT853s cleaner but thinner, the CA-14s fuller but boomier. (I haven't tried EQing the two, but wonder if that would bring them both closer together.) Which one I'd pick would probably depend on the venue.

Offline nor-cal henry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 08:30:46 PM »
The 853s sound more open, bright, and maybe even harsh in some frequencies.  The more 'open' part is important to me.  The CA-14s sound to me like the edges of the brightness/harshness have been rolled off, resulting in a pleasing overall sound.  Based on these recordings, I'd probably go with the 853s also.  I don't eq very much, but would think that I could use eq in post to get the track from the 853s to sound somewhat like the track from the CA-14s.  I don't see how one could apply eq to the CA-14 track to get them to sound like the 853 track.

backwhereubelong

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 08:46:51 PM »
I prefer the AT's as well also.  The Sound Pro box you use, I think, pushed the mics with 12 volts which is damn near perfect for the AT's.  I use a very similar setup as well.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »
I prefer the AT's as well also.  The Sound Pro box you use, I think, pushed the mics with 12 volts which is damn near perfect for the AT's.  I use a very similar setup as well.

The Sound Pro box is powered by a 9-volt battery, so I'm pretty sure it can't push 12 volts.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:30:28 PM by nulldogmas »

backwhereubelong

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 10:30:35 PM »
LOL.  I misread, I thought you used the Sound Pro's SP-SPSB-10 which is in fact 12volts.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:44:44 AM by Roots To Branches »

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 06:32:42 AM »
Sounds like a not very crowded high ceiling venue.

The CA-14 sound as if the mics were placed further away. They sound a bit muffled also and bass rendition is nebulous. The acoustic guitar is more up front.

The AT835 sound brighter. It it wasn't for the CA-14, I wouldn't even have notice the presence of the acoustic guitar.

Both are certainly doing a great job filtering bad room echoes.

All in all, my vote goes for the AT853. I prefer a light bass over a nebulous bass.

Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 09:19:42 AM »
Sounds like a not very crowded high ceiling venue.

It wasn't packed to capacity, but was far from empty. As for the high ceiling, good call, but I think the bigger problem there is the extreme width of the room, which creates some nasty echoes. Here's a decent photo from a show somewhat more lightly attended than the one I recorded this at:

If recording from that spot in that venue again, I'd probably use the AT853s, yes. I'm curious to see how they each perform under different conditions, though — there's a show coming up this week at a tiny club where the CA-14s have done well in the past, so I may do another comparison test there.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
First, know that I'm one who would not be satisfied with either without some EQ work.  In light of that, if I had to choose one over the other, I'd most likely choose the CAs.  My initial thoughts are that the smoother, less peaky frequency response of the CAs is likely to be easier to EQ into a response I'd be satisfied with.  Not saying the ATs couldn't be EQ'd to satisfaction, only that higher 'Q' resonant peaks like I'm hearing in the AT sample here can sometimes be more of a challenge to deal with than starting with a flatter "low Q" response.  Sometimes I can correct those resonant peaks relatively easily with targeted EQ, sometimes not.  On initial listen, the CAs seem like a potentially more fruitful starting point, an easier base-line raw response to work with. 

I don't eq very much, but would think that I could use eq in post to get the track from the 853s to sound somewhat like the track from the CA-14s.  I don't see how one could apply eq to the CA-14 track to get them to sound like the 853 track.

I don't see this constraint.  I could work with either one, and just think the CA would be easier to "get right".  I wouldn't rule out the possibility of pretty closely matching the subjective frequency response of the CA track to that of the 853 track, I just don't care much about trying to do that or see the point of doing so.

The AT853s were raised a couple of feet higher, but that shouldn't matter much aside from avoiding audience chatter, of which there isn't any here.

Irregardless of audience chatter, that amount of height difference can be quite significant with regards to tonal EQ balance from some PAs and some rooms.  I'd certainly not dismiss this variable outright, it may be quite significant here.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 12:48:05 PM »
I think the bigger problem there is the extreme width of the room, which creates some nasty echoes.

FOB doesn't seem to be the best spot here. Maybe you could try a spot closer to a stack next time. Depends if the mix is mono or stereo.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 02:49:13 PM »
As above I think the height differential may have a substantial impact, though it doesn't change the signature of the two mics.  Were it me I'd have put the CA's up higher than the AT's. 

I don't have AT853's but they might lean a little more toward my innate preference but seem pretty bright.  That often gives a more pleasing raw recording in a room that sounds like this one but there a some issues on the top here (the vox and some other aspects are buried and it's really quite bright) that I didn't like too much.  The CA's seemed a little muddy but may actually be more like what it sounded like there?   

I had gotten some CA's on that first sale of Chris' as potential spares.  Since then I've put them on essentially permanent loan to a local friend who is becoming somewhat the primary documentarian of the scene here (since he goes to shows 4 nights or more a week).  Their sonic signature is definitely more low-end oriented (to an extent that is quite notable for essentially miniature mics).  Used up close (he has already realized the aural benefits of sitting stage lip before he started taping) they are nice and have a good off the shelf sound.  I edit what he records and I've never felt inclined to eq what he brings back except for one he did close in a really boomy room I did think twice about but didn't since a mixed multitrack recording became available. 

I'm happy with the CA's but they seem better suited out of the box to some situations than others. 

The room in this test I think you'd have a hard time getting anything good out of the box (even high end mics might not seem high end there).  As to the results of which mic would polish up easier I have no idea.   
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 12:00:22 AM »
First, know that I'm one who would not be satisfied with either without some EQ work.  In light of that, if I had to choose one over the other, I'd most likely choose the CAs.  My initial thoughts are that the smoother, less peaky frequency response of the CAs is likely to be easier to EQ into a response I'd be satisfied with.  Not saying the ATs couldn't be EQ'd to satisfaction, only that higher 'Q' resonant peaks like I'm hearing in the AT sample here can sometimes be more of a challenge to deal with than starting with a flatter "low Q" response.  Sometimes I can correct those resonant peaks relatively easily with targeted EQ, sometimes not.  On initial listen, the CAs seem like a potentially more fruitful starting point, an easier base-line raw response to work with.

I would love a further explanation of this, because it seems important and yet I only understand about half of it. In particular, when you say "higher 'Q' resonant peaks," what are you talking about here?

Irregardless of audience chatter, that amount of height difference can be quite significant with regards to tonal EQ balance from some PAs and some rooms.  I'd certainly not dismiss this variable outright, it may be quite significant here.

Next time I'll be sure to set them right next to each other. This was a last-second decision — oh, hey, I have these other mics I'm not using, I can run a comparison — and I didn't have time to mount the CA-14s on the stand right next to the AT853s.

FOB doesn't seem to be the best spot here.

Oh, for sure. My original plan was to get there early for a good spot and record from my seat, until I arrived and found that unlike the last time Freakwater played there, this wasn't a seated show. Since I already had a board feed and was just using the mics for added ambience and balance, I figured FOB would do okay, which it did, more or less.

Used up close (he has already realized the aural benefits of sitting stage lip before he started taping) [the CA-14s] are nice and have a good off the shelf sound. ... I'm happy with the CA's but they seem better suited out of the box to some situations than others.

Agreed as well — my best results with the CA-14s have been where I'm close to the stage, the stacks, or both. I've tried supercards (the SP-CMC-25s I ended up selling you, in fact) and wasn't happy with the sound, which feels kind of thin for amplified guitar music. For more acoustic shows like this one at a boomy venue like this one, they probably would have been perfect for recording from FOB, but I'm not quite in a position to invest in a different set of mics for every occasion. Yet.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
My initial thoughts are that the smoother, less peaky frequency response of the CAs is likely to be easier to EQ into a response I'd be satisfied with.  Not saying the ATs couldn't be EQ'd to satisfaction, only that higher 'Q' resonant peaks like I'm hearing in the AT sample here can sometimes be more of a challenge to deal with than starting with a flatter "low Q" response.  Sometimes I can correct those resonant peaks relatively easily with targeted EQ, sometimes not.  On initial listen, the CAs seem like a potentially more fruitful starting point, an easier base-line raw response to work with.

I would love a further explanation of this, because it seems important and yet I only understand about half of it. In particular, when you say "higher 'Q' resonant peaks," what are you talking about here?

Basically 'Q' is a measure of how broad a peak or dip is.  A peak / dip in frequency response response can be described by three primary characteristics: it's center frequency (the main frequency of interest), it's amplitude (the maximum level of the peak / dip), and it's Q (the width of the peak / dip).  The higher the Q, the narrower the peak, the 'sharper' it appears in a visual display and the more resonant it is- that is, it takes longer for the energy stored in that oscillation to dissipate.

Low Q "flatter looking" curves are easy to work with and useful for general tone shaping as broad EQ boost / cut adjustments.  With the application of low Q filters even very small amplitude changes are relatively easy to hear and those adjustments usually sounds relatively natural.  An exact center frequency is less critical with a low Q filter because such a large range of frequencies are being effected.

High Q "sharp looking" curves are trickier to work with, are mostly useful for counteracting specific peaks or resonances in the frequency response.  The overall frequency range they effect is narrow, and because of that changes are harder to hear even if they may be of relatively high amplitude.  To successfully reduce an unwanted peaky resonance in the response by applying a matching inverse curve filter, the center frequency needs to match, the Q needs to match closely enough and the amplitude needs to be dialed in appropriately.   Doing all that is tricker and takes more skill than applying broad, low 'Q' filters, which act more like "bass", "mid" and "trebble" tone controls.  Countering a peak with an inverse filter usually entails finding the center frequency of the offending resonance, playing with the Q of the filter to find a setting which is about the same frequency width so only the resonance is affected by the filter and not too much or too little of the immediate frequency ranges around it, and playing with the amplitude of the filter to reduce the offending resonance enough without causing more problems than are being corrected.

It's easier to start with a relatively flat and even response and reshape that into to whatever response you want to hear.  It's more difficult to carefully try an counteract peaky resonances before doing the overall response shaping.

A pitfall is that significant resonant peaks in the response can sound like broad tonal effects, especially to someone not yet skilled in hearing and identifying them as such- they can make the overall sound seem tonally 'brighter' or 'bassier' or whatever.  A broad, low Q cut of the high frequency range will reduce the amplitude of a high Q high frequency peak, but also reduces the amplitude of all the other frequencies in close proximity of the peak.  The problematic peak is still there, but the overall sound changes tonally.  The original problem hasn't really been fixed only reduced in level a bit along with everything else around it, so the fix has produced a new problem of making the sound 'dull'.  This is what makes EQ tricky, and the problem many tapers have in learning to hear the problem and fine tune the appropriate fix.  It's also a primary contributor to the "sound" of different microphones, and how easily that can be corrected and adjusted or not.

A recording with a non-peaky response is "easier to EQ" even if it may not start out sounding exactly like what you want.   A recording with peaky resonances may at first listen sound closer to the sound you want tonally, but can be much more difficult to work with in getting it just right.

The response of the microphone is a big contributor to this, but it's not the only contributor.  The sound sources themselves, the PA, and the room acoustics, mechanical vibrations, and other stuff all contribute different resonant responses in the resulting recording.  Yet this is a big part of why the output of high quality microphones often starts off sounding closer to what we want, and is easier to manipulate even when it is not close to exactly what we want, in comparison to mics which may at first listen sound tonally closer to what we want, but are far more difficult to manipulate with EQ.

Next time I'll be sure to set them right next to each other. This was a last-second decision — oh, hey, I have these other mics I'm not using, I can run a comparison — and I didn't have time to mount the CA-14s on the stand right next to the AT853s.

I totally understand that.  Glad you found enough time in the heat of the moment to run both, it's the best way to compare and figure out what works best in the real world.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 03:20:10 PM »
Used up close (he has already realized the aural benefits of sitting stage lip before he started taping) [the CA-14s] are nice and have a good off the shelf sound. ... I'm happy with the CA's but they seem better suited out of the box to some situations than others.

Agreed as well — my best results with the CA-14s have been where I'm close to the stage, the stacks, or both. I've tried supercards (the SP-CMC-25s I ended up selling you, in fact) and wasn't happy with the sound, which feels kind of thin for amplified guitar music. For more acoustic shows like this one at a boomy venue like this one, they probably would have been perfect for recording from FOB, but I'm not quite in a position to invest in a different set of mics for every occasion. Yet.

Yup (and thanks!).  I like the signature of the CMC-25's a lot for tiny mics but they don't seem to be for everyone.  They can feel a little thin though IMO the bass they record is also very clean so it's an easy eq job to get the result where you want it if you really want something darker...  I just like the innate clarity.  For that reason that I like the CA-14's as much as I do surprises me since they are much darker/bassier, though they also seem clean (granted I haven't tried them from a distance in a crappy room). 

Someone told me they thought the AT-853's were really only good with the subcard caps (I think it was the subcard, whichever ones are sought after/hard to find). 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »
^ I disagree on the FOB point; I think that's quite a good spot there, especially if you're way FOB. Not that any spot is perfect given the setup, but I think it's about as well as you can do. I also think hypers get a significant advantage in that room.

For some totally invalid comps:

FOB AT853s:  https://archive.org/details/tortoise2009-05-30.bellhouse_acidjack

That does sound much better than my AT853 source, but of course, Tortoise has about double the bass and triple the volume of Freakwater to begin with. And the mix on that night was probably better, too. (The board guy for Freakwater actually said to me after the show, "Please use mostly room mics for your recording" since he wasn't happy with the board mix — of course, my room mics from back there mostly picked up the board mix coming out of the PA.)

I'd still rather be closer to the stage when recording with cards of any kind at Bell House. I love the booking there and it has great sightlines, but it's a tricky room for sound.

And thanks, Gutbucket, for that explanation, which is indeed helpful. Do you have any advice for learning to identify high-Q peaks vs. low-Q ones, either by ear or by sight?

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 05:33:54 PM »
A lot of extremely useful information in that ^^

The response of the microphone is a big contributor to this, but it's not the only contributor.  The sound sources themselves, the PA, and the room acoustics, mechanical vibrations, and other stuff all contribute different resonant responses in the resulting recording. 

This is definitely an important observation.  PA and monitor eq can be a major problem as can be environmental stuff. 

Often I think we are fighting against poor mixing where tonal issues are unaddressed, created or even magnified.  Even stagelip you can wind up with issues if the monitors aren't properly tuned.  I always appreciate the musicians who make the soundman eq/dial in the monitor mix.  Some don't... 

Yet this is a big part of why the output of high quality microphones often starts off sounding closer to what we want, and is easier to manipulate even when it is not close to exactly what we want, in comparison to mics which may at first listen sound tonally closer to what we want, but are far more difficult to manipulate with EQ.

This.  I may have an initial bias toward closer than flatter.  I tend not to want to spend a lot of time on eq in post. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 08:15:23 PM »
And thanks, Gutbucket, for that explanation, which is indeed helpful. Do you have any advice for learning to identify high-Q peaks vs. low-Q ones, either by ear or by sight?

By ear essentially. You usually can't see these things on a real time analyzer display of music.  Maybe some sort of long term analyzer which averages the response over the entire recording and is of a high enough resolution to not smooth the higher Q peaks might begin to show them, but I dunno, I don't have anything like that.

But you can often get visual feedback from your software EQ's display, which typically shows an applied filter curve which will change shape as you change center frequency, amplitude and Q.  That can give you a good visual indication of Q, where in the frequency range the filter is applied, and the amount of the boost or cut.

Mostly its leaning to identify frequency ranges by ear, and for me it's sort of by the feel of the sound.  One way to learn how to do that is to dial in a high-ish Q filter (not super  narrow, but pretty peaky) boost it significantly, and sweep the center frequency around.  It will sound very unnatural, and will boost only a very small range significantly, so you can more easily hear what's going on in that narrow range.  It can be good for leaning how to identify various frequency ranges.

Sometimes that technique can help to home in on problematic resonances.  Sweep around until you home in on the specific region which is bothering you, then reduce the amplitude of the boost to make it a cut instead, and play around with center frequency, Q and level to see if you can minimize the problematic resonance without screwing up the rest of the frequency range around it or the sound in general.  Sometimes a low Q boost of the broad region combined with a high Q cut of a problematic narrow resonance within that region can work nicely.

Low Q filters are broad and tonal, less like 'peaks' and more like 'broad rolling hills'.  They work well for boosting or cutting, generally shaping the overall response, much like shelf filters.  High Q filters are capable of targeting narrow resonance peaks but are trickier to 'tune' just right, and are usually most useful for targeting specific problems and reducing the amplitude of them.  You probably won't ever need a very high Q boost filter.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 10:20:04 PM »

By ear essentially. You usually can't see these things on a real time analyzer display of music.  Maybe some sort of long term analyzer which averages the response over the entire recording and is of a high enough resolution to not smooth the higher Q peaks might begin to show them, but I dunno, I don't have anything like that.

The spectrum analysis in iZotope RX is very useful for this - you can watch the real-time spectrum as the file is playing, or can highlight a selection or entire track and it will display an averaged response of your selection.  If you find a peak that looks interesting, you hover your mouse over top of it and it pops up the exact frequency and amplitude at that moment for each channel separately.  RX is not free though.  Here are two free tools that may do the trick (I haven't used either, but they are from reputable names):

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_FreqAnalyst/
http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
I ran another comparison last night, this time at HiFi Bar, a tiny space (maybe 30 capacity in the main stage area) where Brownies used to be. CA-14s and AT853s were mounted as close as possible atop a small stand maybe 5 feet above ground level (audience was seated) about 12-15 feet back from the stage, each pair separated by about 6 inches with a roughly 60-degree spread to point at the PA. (Calling them "stacks" would be a massive overstatement.) As last time, the AT853s went into an M10 via the SP battery box, CA-14s into an iRiver 320 via the Church ugly box.

And with that out of the way, the results:

https://soundcloud.com/nulldogmas/sets/at-853-card-and-ca-14-card-recordings-of-two-songs-from-identical-location-at-hifi-bar

Way, way closer this time — either the height difference was affecting it last time, and/or it's possible that the clips I was using partly blocked the side grille of the AT853s in the earlier sample. (I made sure they were well clear of the caps this time.)

Offline Lostbrook

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »
After a quick listen, both sound excellent to me.  What band?

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 12:58:38 PM »

Speed the Plough, which started out as the Trypes and has had various members of the Feelies in and out of it over the years.

Offline Lostbrook

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 02:36:59 PM »

Speed the Plough, which started out as the Trypes and has had various members of the Feelies in and out of it over the years.

Nice. Thanks!

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 02:46:47 PM »
Another area to note on the at853's that they have the ability to have more than pattern with different caps.  Something in my view makes them better than the church series mics.  Just my 0.02.
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 04:06:41 PM »
Thanks for those links Volt.  Do you find the spectrum analysis tools in iZotope RX allow you to visually identify resonant peaks in such a was as to be able to actually counter what you see visually with an inverse curve EQ filter?

I hope to be able to give a listen to the samples you posted this weekend nulldogmas.  I have a suggestion for achieving optimal results with this kind of PAS mic arrangement- with a 60 degree included angle, try using more spacing between the mics if you are able to do so.  Optimal spacing for 60 degrees PAS is a bit more than 18", but you can get a large improvement in "increased stereoness" without need to go that wide.  12" may be more easily doable.  If you can, try that and see what you think, or try as much spacing as you can get up to about 19" or so as determined by the setup you are using when your PAS angle between mics is around 60 degrees.

Offline nor-cal henry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 07:18:53 PM »
The 853s still sound to me like they catch quite a bit more high end.  A good example on this second batch of songs is at 1:06 - 1:10.  Listen to the 'S' sound in the lyrics.  But it might also be that the CA-14s are getting a lot more low end and low-mids...?

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 11:00:02 PM »
I have a suggestion for achieving optimal results with this kind of PAS mic arrangement- with a 60 degree included angle, try using more spacing between the mics if you are able to do so.  Optimal spacing for 60 degrees PAS is a bit more than 18", but you can get a large improvement in "increased stereoness" without need to go that wide.  12" may be more easily doable.

Yeah, printing your chart out and stashing it in my rig bag is on my to-do list. As is getting a wider bar to go atop my camera tripod — the one I just purchased is a bit on the short side, I've discovered.

The 853s still sound to me like they catch quite a bit more high end.  A good example on this second batch of songs is at 1:06 - 1:10.  Listen to the 'S' sound in the lyrics.  But it might also be that the CA-14s are getting a lot more low end and low-mids...?

It's subtle, but agreed. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is a matter of personal preference.

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 07:20:51 AM »

wonderfull samples
both the AT's and the MM's  ;D
... curious where you're from as the singer
in the AT sample named the city
Pratteln ;-)
cheers and happy taping !
pm
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 59 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com