Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: hot swapping do's and dont's  (Read 4386 times)

markrsmith

• Trade Count: (0)
hot swapping do's and dont's
« on: November 28, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
Any one have any input about this.  About making the cables; and having 2 batteries going at the same time for a brief second.  My question:  for my ad2k+ it takes 12 volts, if I hot swap another 12volt battery...and go above the 18 volt recommendation... will it be too much?  Is there anything else I should be thinking of?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:15:11 PM by markrsmith »

kirk97132

Re: hot swapping do's and dont's
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 01:55:02 PM »
Any one have any input about this.  About making the cables; and having 2 batteries going at the same time for a brief second.  My question:  for my ad2k+ it takes 12 volts, if I hot swap another 12volt battery...and go above the 18 volt recommendation... will it be too much?  Is there anything else I should be thinking of?
IF you have your hot swap cable wired correctly the Voltage will not change(connection wired parallel, not in series).  IE: it is not added together.  It will remain 12 volts. 

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 03:39:59 PM »
Is there anything else I should be thinking of?

Yes, transient protection - filtering and surges.

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »
IF you have your hot swap cable wired correctly the Voltage will not change(connection wired parallel, not in series).  IE: it is not added together.  It will remain 12 volts.

Right!
in parallel the positives are wired together and the negatives are wired together. your amp hours will double not your voltage, it will stay at 12 volt. In series which is what you DO NOT want to do the voltage would go to 24 volt.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

markrsmith

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
Thanks Guys!  Making some cables for hot swapping 2 Tekkeons.  Thought I was doing it right, but needed to be sure.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 05:59:57 PM by markrsmith »

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 03:42:59 PM »

Right!
in parallel the positives are wired together and the negatives are wired together. your amp hours will double not your voltage, it will stay at 12 volt. In series which is what you DO NOT want to do the voltage would go to 24 volt.

I'd add that its better to leave one battery unplugged until the second is ready to be swapped in.  The reason is that when two batteries are connected in parallel like this one of the two batteries usually has lower resistance than the other so that's the batt that will always draw down first.  Not a big deal per se, but you'll end up wearing your batteries out unevenly if you connect the same 2 batteries in parallel every time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com