Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Y cable for the MicroTrack  (Read 4825 times)

Offline ab05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Y cable for the MicroTrack
« on: March 23, 2007, 09:00:07 AM »
Hi,
I'd like to build a Y cable like this: 1/8'' stereo miniplug => (2x) 1/4'' mono plugs
for connecting my DPA MPS6030 battery box to the Microtrack Line In 1/4'' inputs.
Of course I would like a high performance cable, but it has to be also as much stealth as possible, so it should be a very slim cable with right-angle connectors.

My question is this: which kind of good bulk wire can I use?
I thought Canare Mini Star Quad L-4E5C was OK but after contacting Markertek they told me that this wire can't fit into the Neutrik 1/8'' connector (the Neutrik NTP3RC-B)... is it true?
If so, which other right-angle connectors, or which other good wires do you suggest for my purpose?

Sorry for such a silly question, but after a lot of searches on this great forum I'm still not completely sure about what to buy...
Thanks in advance for any precious help.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:03:28 AM by ab05 »

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Y cable for the MicroTrack
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
You can actually use a slightly thinner one: Canare L-2E5 Mini MIcrophone Cable

L-2E5 is cheaper, thinner and easier to work with because you do not have to solder/twist a pair of white and blue minor cables together. The one you suggested L-4E5C has a pair of white and a pair of blue cables inside which you need to twist together and solder onto a small connector - more difficult for you!

Also you can use any 1/8" connector because you can hack the casing so that it will fit the cable. You do not need to buy a RA connector. You can buy any connector and hack it and model it to whatever shape you want with epoxy.

(Maybe there are cables thinner and better than L-2E5. I don't know - I used L-2E5 and L-4E5C for my work).

Good luck!
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline ab05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:15:57 PM »
Thanks for your reply, scyue, very helpful.
Anyone else could confirm me that Canare L-2E5 is the best choice for my cable?
And what about the Audio Magic Hyper Conductor? I've emailed SonicSense and I'm waiting for a price but I think it will be very very expensive... Are they really worth their huge cost?

Honesty I would like to spend not more than 70-80 dollars for the cable... so if there are any other good choices in this range, your suggestions are welcome!

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 11:03:15 AM »

Definitely interested in your findings!!  I'm currently using the dpa 1/8 cable out of my dpa mma6000 preamp into a separate Y cable for 1/8 to 1/4 TRS into the microtrack.  Very bulky and another potential "connection" problem there!!

I love the threaded 1/8 dpa cable that screws onto the mma6000 pre for security but the extra connection from the 1/8 to the 1/4 trs cable does not make me happy...

I'd love a "high quality" cabling solution too!!  And it would be great if the 1/8 connector was threaded to fit the dpa mma6000!!

::)
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 07:27:39 AM »
i'm building a cable just like this for someone in this thread.  I'll post pictures and "how too's" for those interested.

Offline ab05

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 09:00:46 AM »
i'm building a cable just like this for someone in this thread.  I'll post pictures and "how too's" for those interested.

Oh yes! It would be great, thank you very much!!

Most of all I'm concerned about the wire: I would like the thinnest wire without sacrificing audio quality...
Which brand/model do you suggest?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 09:16:07 AM by ab05 »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 11:06:09 PM »
if you want really thin, and for a short length...i'd make it myself w/26awg conductors, twisted in a thin copper shielding.  then techflex it.  that would be a good one.

but, from my stock.  I'd use 24awg twisted pair. Its much stiffer than the normal cheap black wire you see attached to most stereo mini plugs.
But, it passes electrons like a mo'fo', and thats what its all about !

I found the locking stereo plugs for the DPA MMA6000 and picked up a few.  If anyone else would like a custom locking cable for the MT or R9 / MR-1, just ping me.  I'm workin' for cheap these days, trying to get rid of inventory to start fresh.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 06:48:13 AM »
if you want really thin, and for a short length...i'd make it myself w/26awg conductors, twisted in a thin copper shielding.  then techflex it.  that would be a good one.

but, from my stock.  I'd use 24awg twisted pair. Its much stiffer than the normal cheap black wire you see attached to most stereo mini plugs.
But, it passes electrons like a mo'fo', and thats what its all about !

I found the locking stereo plugs for the DPA MMA6000 and picked up a few.  If anyone else would like a custom locking cable for the MT or R9 / MR-1, just ping me.  I'm workin' for cheap these days, trying to get rid of inventory to start fresh.

+T for going that extra mile on the locking stereo plugs for the DPA MMA6000

:headphones:

Can't wait to give the new cable a spin!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com